Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
concours

somewhat disappointed

After having a tread separation on the original Towmax tires I replaced all 4 with Carlisle Radial Trail RH in August of 14 and until yesterday thought they were doing great but now I see the beginning of side wall cracking on all 4 tires. What upsets me is that they have always been kept up to pressure, covered, never run at high speed and monitored with a TPMS. It will be interesting to hear what the dealer says next week. My question is what do I try next?
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Also interested in comments from your tire guy. When were they manufactered??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Our experience with sidewall cracking is that it happens regardless of tire brand. We had some significant problems with sidewall cracking on a set of Michelin tires that were on our motorhome. We've had sidewall cracking with Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone and Cooper tires as well.

Many factors enter into sidewall cracking. Things like storage environment, even covered, if they are located next to an electric motor (furnace, fan, etc) the motor will create enough ozone to affect the tires. One of the major factors we've seen that causes acceleration of cracking is simply not towing often enough. The tires are vulcanized with "essential oils" in the rubber mixture. The tire sidewalls must be flexed to release that substance so it will "work its way to the surface and protect the tires".

Depending on how long your tires are "inactive", especially during winter storage, sidewall cracking is going to happen with any brand of tire. We always spray a liberal coat of Aerospace 303 on our tires when we back it into the pole barn for the winter and keep them covered when parked outside. Many people use spray on cleaners to keep the tires "looking good" which defeats the protection of the "essential oils" and even spraying on a petroleum based "tire dressing" is harmful. Many times, trying to keep tires "looking good" causes more damage than "just leaving them alone"....

So, you may be experiencing sidewall cracking for a number of reasons, some as simple as not towing often enough. Sure, it's frustrating, but if you look at the past couple of years and what your tires were subjected to, maybe you can find some contributing factors that helped cause the problem ?? It may not be all Carlisle's fault. Possibly a change in how you protect your tires may help improve how long they last.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Depending on when they were manufactured (you'll have to post that date) they are approaching at the minimum 3 years old. Also, without indications of how often you tow, it's really hard to comment. There are a lot of factors that play into an answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
bsmith0404

It is normal and the tires are 3 years old. It depends if the cracks are cosmetic surface cracks or go deeper if it is a concern or not. Here's an explanation from tire rack that helps explain that. I use a good water based tire conditioner on my tires and it helps. Water based rubber conditioner creams are the best product I've found to keep tires looking good for their life.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=30

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
Javi

3 years from date of manufacture is my rule of thumb for replacement anyway. After that, you're on borrowed time...

Javi
Old 06-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #7
concours

the date of manufacture for 3 are 9 14 and 1 is 14 13 they all have the same cracking as for sitting the trailer never sits for more than 3 months. the dealer tell me that they will check with their rep and will get back to me which I doubt will happen I had to laugh as they told me that side wall cracking is nothing to be worried about but on their website they say that any signs of side wall cracking is a sign that the tires should be replaced. I haven't told them yet that I just retired after 47 years in the automotive and tire industry. Ill let you know the final outcome
1982 BMW R100
Old 06-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
the date of manufacture for 3 are 9 14 and 1 is 14 13 they all have the same cracking as for sitting the trailer never sits for more than 3 months. the dealer tell me that they will check with their rep and will get back to me which I doubt will happen I had to laugh as they told me that side wall cracking is nothing to be worried about but on their website they say that any signs of side wall cracking is a sign that the tires should be replaced. I haven't told them yet that I just retired after 47 years in the automotive and tire industry. Ill let you know the final outcome
Carlisle trailer tires have a short warranty period. All of yours are out of the window - depending on date of purchase.

https://www.shorelandr.com/PDF_Docs/...ion%20card.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #9
concours

I did get a reply from our local tire dealer and they will give warranty on the tires I have to pay mount / balance and 40% of the tire cost which what I consider to be fair. they will be replacing then with Carlisle Radial HD's
1982 BMW R100
Old 06-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
canesfan

Quote:
I did get a reply from our local tire dealer and they will give warranty on the tires I have to pay mount / balance and 40% of the tire cost which what I consider to be fair. they will be replacing then with Carlisle Radial HD's
That's a pretty good deal considering the tires are well over 3 years old and one over 4 years old. I would definitely take it and run.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
#Winning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
schallerr

When parked for storage are you playing the tires on wood instead of bare ground. Tgst will keep moisture down to help prevent rot.
schallerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
concours

Always parked on plywood, The main reason for the goodwill was the fact that they were purchased 2 years and 9 months ago and were 1,5 years old when I purchased them. the bottom line is that i'm pleased with the outcome. We had the tires replaced yesterday and after closer inspection they warranted 50% of the tires.
the inner liner of the tire was still in perfect condition but lots of side wall cracking on both the outer and inner side of the tire. I was surprised to see that the max air pressure has been reduced on the new HD which is now 80 psi The old RH was 85 psi
1982 BMW R100
Old 07-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #14
gearhead

I think the HD is an improvement over the RH.
Let us know how you like them after awhile.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote