Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emersonsdad View Post
Ok. Which size of Equalizer? Do I need to buy any additional hitch items that will not be included? Like the ball or brackets....
My first thought is; what kind of receiver do you have on your truck? If it doesn't have a towing pkg. does it have a Class III? If it is it's limited to 1000 lbs with a WDH if I recall. At gvw on your trailer and a 15% hitch load you would hit approx. 1320. Hopefully it is a Class IV but you definitely need to check.

I believe the Equalizer shanks are all the same (weight rating) with the exception of length. You will want one for a 2" receiver I'm sure. I would go with 1200 lb. bars but I'm sure some would recommend 1000 lb. I pulled my trailer (gvw 10k) initially with 1000 lb bars but liked the 1200 better. You obviously need a 2 5/16' ball. If you don't have some big, and stout, sockets/breakers etc. have a dealer install it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #22
Emersonsdad

Here's the receiver sticker.

Emersonsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #23
66joej

Emersondad I applaud you for taking the time to post all of your info regarding towing. Many would not go to this extent to verify towing safely. Some of the responses are meant in jest for sure. All members are here to help you and other new members. Please do not be offended.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
busterbrown

I'm one of only a few members on here who is a proponent of modern day half tons towing within their specs. Operative words are "within their specs". Equipped properly (max trailering options, LT tires, premium sway elimination hitch, etc), late model 1/2 tons are so much more capable then they were just 2 decades ago.

With that said, I pulled a significantly lighter trailer (gvw, hitch) with a very capable GMC Yukon XL Denali for over 15 trips and 8,000 miles. I was approaching (but not exceeding) its capacity with the 7,200 lb loaded trailer. Had similar payload to the truck in question. It pulled great (almost better than my new 2500 Ram) after I replaced the mid-grade Blue Ox hitch with a Hensley Arrow. But the new hitch put my truck at its payload limits. It's about 80 lbs heavier than the Blue Ox. Truck didn't know the difference as the rear air auto leveling always kept the ride tame and satisfying. Unfortunately, the kids wanted to bring more toys and the DW and I like to bring our own fire wood. Additionally, the Denali was closing in on 100k miles. With some long distant trips in our future over the next few years, we wanted the security of a newer TV. So, I found a 3/4 ton RAM Mega cab with pricing I couldn't pass up.

Believe it or not, the towing experience with the Denali was relaxed and pleasurable. The suspension was more forgiving than the RAMs, and hugged the road nicely. The Hensley hitch allowed for this as it eliminates 99.9% of sway, any 1/2 ton's Achilles heel. HD trucks will only lessen the amount of sway, not eliminate it. You really do need a premium sway elimination hitch like a Hensley or Propride when your close to capacities and pulling a long 30 foot sail.

As far as the OPs rig, I'm in agreement that there's no doubt he'd be over with payload and gross combined weight ratios. 1500 lbs of payload is not much to accommodate a loaded trailer that weighs in excess of 8000 lbs.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Here's the receiver sticker.

That's a good rating for a 1/2 ton. What worries me, from my reading, is that the 1200/12000 is the max, WDH or not. 12000 you are good. 1200 for receiver may pose a problem. If you actually load to gvw AND a 15% tongue weight you will exceed the rating for the truck receiver.

If you are at gvw and 12% tongue weight it goes to 1056, putting you under the 1200 limit. It's all about load and load placement; especially when you have a 1/2 ton.

And yes, being at the weight levels you are it bodes well to try to do everything you can to mitigate the circumstances. I too endorse 1/2 ton vehicles pulling "within" specs, but to me that includes a 20% safety margin on weights; not maxed out. And yes, a premium hitch helps, and they must be nice, but it won't give you a safety margin or fix deficiencies, rather, it covers them up. Numbers don't lie no matter how good we think it pulls. When the receiver breaks off at 65 mph, or a wheel disintegrates, or an axle breaks it really doesn't matter how good it felt towing the last 5 miles. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #26
Emersonsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Emersondad I applaud you for taking the time to post all of your info regarding towing. Many would not go to this extent to verify towing safely. Some of the responses are meant in jest for sure. All members are here to help you and other new members. Please do not be offended.

I have a wife, 3 kids, and a beautiful chocolate lab to protect! I could stand to lose the wife and probably the teenager but to lose them all would be a bummer... [emoji12]
Old 06-06-2017, 03:13 AM   #27
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Can't remember if it was said on here yet or not so I'll just say it anyway. If you have the OEM P tires, replacing them with LT tires will improve the stability. It won't change the the capacities but the stiffer side walls will improve the sway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:06 AM   #28
GMcKenzie

I think it's too much for the truck. I have an NHT version and am pulling 8200 loaded, but my payload rating is 2015, so ~450 more than what you have. I scale under the limits but you won't. I would not tow my trailer with the standard 1/2 ton.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #29
bagged123

Not trying to be disrespectful, but since you had the TT and were TV shopping with hopes of pulling the TT, why didn't you just buy a TV what was able to tow the trailer? A 1500 with the max tow package or a 2500 gasser would've done it, if you didn't want the diesel.
bagged123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #30
Emersonsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
Not trying to be disrespectful, but since you had the TT and were TV shopping with hopes of pulling the TT, why didn't you just buy a TV what was able to tow the trailer? A 1500 with the max tow package or a 2500 gasser would've done it, if you didn't want the diesel.

Because the setup we have where it's stored, not pulling it wasn't really a big deal. But if I could pull it then I would. I actually did look for one with the Max Trailering package but they didn't have any nor did anyone else within 100 miles. I was just in the market for something nice since I've been driving a 1987 Suburban for the last 5 years.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #31
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Because the setup we have where it's stored, not pulling it wasn't really a big deal. But if I could pull it then I would. I actually did look for one with the Max Trailering package but they didn't have any nor did anyone else within 100 miles. I was just in the market for something nice since I've been driving a 1987 Suburban for the last 5 years.

You may miss that 'burb! Wish they still made the 2500. Back in the '80s I was pulling TTs and that was the only thing that would out pull a Ramcharger. Not near what my F350 can do,,, but still could pull a house!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #32
Emersonsdad

Still have it. It's a 2500 w/4.56 rear end.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #33
gearhead

I had a 1985 like that. White with light blue interior. Loved that old front solid axle with quad shocks. It didn't have much power and I thought about dropping a Chevy 383 crate engine in it. Gave it to my son when he was in high school. He lifted it and put tires on it. New paint job. Looked good. Wish I still had it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #34
Emersonsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I had a 1985 like that. White with light blue interior. Loved that old front solid axle with quad shocks. It didn't have much power and I thought about dropping a Chevy 383 crate engine in it. Gave it to my son when he was in high school. He lifted it and put tires on it. New paint job. Looked good. Wish I still had it.

My oldest gets his permit later this month so that's why I got the Sierra. He gets the Burb. All it needs is a coat of paint and to rebuild the tranny. Other than that, everything has been replaced new on it.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #35
CaptnJohn

Quote:
My oldest gets his permit later this month so that's why I got the Sierra. He gets the Burb. All it needs is a coat of paint and to rebuild the tranny. Other than that, everything has been replaced new on it.

You will have a happy son.
Many of us have pulled at or above weight limits for a time and know what you are getting into. Around 1978 I borrowed a Jeep truck to pull a TT and found my 1974 Plymouth Fury actually did a better job. More recently I had a F150 Max Tow and it did not do great on a 8800# TT. F250 numbers are better now than even a few years ago but found the diesel I had was not going to work for the 5er we wanted. So let me change the word "Many" to "Most" of us, especially if towing for a long time. It has not been that long since the yellow sticker was ever seen. Would I pay that $70, no but I'd not suggest it be done either.
LT tires and an Equalizer 4 point as suggested should be mandatory if you decide to pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote