Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
rcmike

Direct tv or Dish tv for satellite

I'm thinking of buying a satellite system for my Th. Is there any advice that one is any better than the other ? When I get satellite tv is it going to only play satellite channels on the tv that only has the receiver hooked to it or can you plumb it to the other 2 or 3 in my trailer ? .. thanks
Old 06-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You will need a separate receiver for each TV to watch different channels.

Dish is more "RV" friendly as you can "pay as you go", meaning only the months you use it. Dish has HD receivers that can get HD reception without having to use the high end "trav'ler".

I have DIRECTV in my house so I just take a receiver and I am happy with standard def in the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
cardinal96ss

We have Dish and use the King Tailgater VQ4550 ( roof mounted) and the Dish Solo receiver.
If you have no need to watch separate channels you can easily route the output of the receiver into a 3 or 4 way HiDef HDMI splitter and then HDMI cabling to each of the TVs in the RV. You will have to go to the receiver to change the channel with the IR remote but have not found that to be a problem.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
outwest

If you're wanting to view different channels at the same time (such as when one person is in bedroom and one in living room) beware of satellite antennas that use a master/slave configuration.

One example is the Winegard Pathway X1. The X1 supports two receivers in a master/slave configuration. What this means is that the antenna can only see one satellite at a time (Dish has channels spread out over 3 satellites) and the master receiver is the box that gets to choose which satellite. The slave unit can then only tune in to channels on the satellite that the master unit has selected.

That still seems okay, right? Um, not exactly. You see, when person using the master unit changes channels, they don't know when they're changing satellites and suddenly the slave box loses the channel you're watching in the other room. The slave box then has to be power cycled so that it can figure out what channels are now available, since the satellite has changed (at least that's my experience with the ViP211z boxes). Particularly frustrating if the person using the master box is a channel flipper.

If our trailer had the space in the storage area for a carryout Dish 1000.2 antenna, I'd switch to it, despite having to manually find the satellites each time we set up camp. It natively supports up to 3 receivers (or can do more if you add a splitter switch). Of course there's the TRAV'LER Dish 1000 that roof mounts and automatically finds the satellites (and supports multiple receivers like the dish 1000.2) but it's $1200.00.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you a heads up regarding the whole master/slave receiver thing.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
rcmike

Thanks everyone ,,, still looking into it.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
rcmike

This past w/e. Finished the install. Main receiver in living area and a wally reciever in master bedroom. So far so good just took some time running cables in ceiling . In happy i got it done .

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
rcmike

In ready for next project ,lol

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 04:54 AM   #8
Cardcathrn

Direct tv

Bare with me because new to all of this! I have direct tv at home and a receiver. Have a tv in travel trailer. Do I need to get satellite to make it all work? Without satellite, what will I have?? Anything?
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:58 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

You will need either a portable dish, or a dish mounted on the roof. I have a portable so I don't worry about being parked under trees.
With DIRECTV you will only get standard def TV when using one of the dish's mentioned. To get HD you have to use the Trav'ler that is mounted on the roof.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
captcolour

I have both AT&T and DirecTV at home. I believe I can stream DirecTV on my phone for free without consuming data. If that is the case, thinking about getting ChromeCast or equivalent to send the signal from the phone to the TV. Of course this would only work when I had a decent phone signal or WiFi reception. Price is right however and requires no dish or receiver.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
Cardcathrn

Satellite and direct tv

Thank you all for reply. That helps tremendously! I will look into both portable and chrome cast. I am not looking for fantastic things to watch, just a bit of news in the morning. From there I want to enjoy the peace!
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

I have both too. Since ATT bought DIRECTV, there have been a few changes. I have Apple TV, maybe I'll see if that works too.

Since I've had DIRECTV at home since about 2002, I went with a manual point in 2003, and graduated to present carry out in 2008.

Tags
satellite