Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
buzzcop63

China Tires to Made In USA!

With my PowerKing "D" tires going on their 6th year and 3,013 I purchased 4 new Goodyear Endurance "E" rated ST225/75R15 tires. Tires were dated from 0117 to 0617, weight 34Lb, definitely a huskier tire. Max load at 80PSI 2,830Lb, Made in USA. Tires feature a scuff guard and side of tire states that the tread is 2 Steel, 2 Nylon and 2 Polyester while the sidewall is 2 Polestar. Trailer scale weight is 6,100Lb when hitched to Tundra this drops to 5,500Lb scale weight.
Tires installed 5/3/2017 by Discount Tires, used rubber based brass top high-pressure 155PSI valve stems with Tire Minder sending units, not pass through type. Tires were balanced; cost $121 per tire plus balancing and disposal of old tires. 240 Mile first trip down I5 and back in temperature up to 84 Cruize control at 55, max speed about 60. Tires set by Discount Tire at 80 PSI, Tire Minder showed that all four tires while running at speed did not deviate from each other by more then 1.7Lb and temperature by more the 4 degree's with the ambient temperature at 79 to 84, tire high temperature 86. Traveling South to North so the sun hit one side of trailer as well as rear tire does not get as much airflow as front. Bottom line, drove to and from camp sight with unaccustomed confidence in my tires, seemed to have less rolling resistance and otherwise could not tell the difference from PowerKing. No marks on wheels from Tire Minder sending units. Tires just warm to my hand at rest stops. Will report any problems.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Congratulations on the new tires. Sounds like you have plenty of tire for your trailer. I found when I went from LRD Trailer Kings to LRE Carlisle HDs that my tires actually ran cooler than the Trailer Kings. The Carlisles were also quite a bit heavier than the Trailer Kings. Mine did seem to ride better with the new tires but I'm 9400 on the trailer (before WDH). It is nice to have that peace of mind driving vs the "always looking in the mirror" feeling with the old tires.

You didn't mention but I use an infrared temp gun when I'm traveling to check tires/hubs etc. I keep maintenance current on my wheels, bearings etc. but the temp gun hopefully tells me if I have an issue developing in the wheels or brakes before the monitoring system sees it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
srvnt

Went from C rated China bombs to Goodyear Endurance "D" rated ST225/75R14 a few months ago and so far so good.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
Pocketlake1

Put 20k miles on my High Counry manufacturer equipped Towmasters tires w trips from FL to Mich UP and also to Alaska before blowing 1. On trip this month to Nova Scotia blew 2nd tire and replaced all 4 with Goodyear Endurance 235/80-16s. 6K on new tires so too new to determine if I made right decision staying with ST instead of going with LT, but decided to give ST a second chance. They have handled the roads in the Northeast, taking a lot of pounding due to road damage almost everywhere. (And the privilege of lots of road, bridg and tunnel tolls) Discount Tires (love their service overall) will allow me to change out if "not satisfied". I am Still thinking about making switch to LT. If I do, any good quality LT? I see lots of favored brands, Bridgestones and Cooper get mentioned frequently, but everyone has their opinion and partiality. I am partial to Michelins since have had great luck with them on multiples cars and trucks, just a bit pricey. Btw, off topic, never realized how blessed we are in the SE with great interstate roads overall and few tolls. Smooth sailing once I hit VA all the way back To FL, w -0- tolls, after paying about $100 in tolls the day before. We pay dearly for those 2 extra axles
Pocketlake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
srvnt

We pay dearly for those 2 extra axles[/QUOTE]

I got soaked by the toll over the Golden Gate bridge.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvnt View Post
We pay dearly for those 2 extra axles
I got soaked by the toll over the Golden Gate bridge.[/QUOTE]

What was the charge these days?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires