Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #21
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

I made my own after upgrading tires and was not sure the factory one would support the increased weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	12627

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #22
sleeepr

That's pretty sweet, but way out of my range of tools and talent. For now, will tote the spare in the tow vehicle, and take some time to figure out the best fix for my purposes. Does anyone have any suggestions on a jack?
sleeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:43 AM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeepr View Post
That's pretty sweet, but way out of my range of tools and talent. For now, will tote the spare in the tow vehicle, and take some time to figure out the best fix for my purposes. Does anyone have any suggestions on a jack?
Walmart sells a bottle jack in a carry case. I think it's a 20 ton. has good height and will definitely raise any of our trailers. I have a 6" block that I put under mine and I can raise the 5er at the frame rail.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:07 AM   #24
Dave W

Quote:

If your TV is a pickup, that may just be the best place for a spare. I've been doing that for years, convenient and, best yet, not forgotten when it's time to do a pressure or condition check. Additionally, there is no 30-50 pound dead weight hanging off any towable's puny bumper. I use a piece of hardened chain and a hard to cut Master padlock to hope it wont grow legs
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:32 AM   #25
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I made my own after upgrading tires and was not sure the factory one would support the increased weight.

Attachment 12627

Very nice job. How is the tire/wheel assembly attached to the bracket? Looked long and hard but I can't figure it out. Thanks

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 AM   #26
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

No spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Very nice job. How is the tire/wheel assembly attached to the bracket? Looked long and hard but I can't figure it out. Thanks

Sorry, I left that part out by mistake. The easiest way to have a wheel mount, that was not the cheap factory two-stud-and-a-strap, was to use an inexpensive hub-and-spindle.

Here is a pic without the cap and cover (which I did install but have no pic).

Etrailer had a hub, spindle, bearings and seal for like $30. It is the smallest hub for 6-lug wheels (no brakes). Served my purpose...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	12629

Old 05-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #27
NorskeBob

Nice mod - would have never thought of using a spindle.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #28
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
If your TV is a pickup, that may just be the best place for a spare. I've been doing that for years, convenient and, best yet, not forgotten when it's time to do a pressure or condition check. Additionally, there is no 30-50 pound dead weight hanging off any towable's puny bumper. I use a piece of hardened chain and a hard to cut Master padlock to hope it wont grow legs
My spare fits my boat and TT, so in the back of the pickup it goes. Doesn't matter if I'm camping or fishing (with this boat I don't do both at the same time) I have my spare.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #29
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeBob View Post

I'm getting ready to weld a tee on top of it. The kids' bunkhouse emergency escape window is right above the spare tire. Climbing out with that tire being able to spin would be a little difficult. I can fabricate a handle real easy.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #30
sleeepr

Got the spare. Local chain tire shop, but very customer oriented when it comes to safety and quality. Bumped up to 10 ply Load Range E. Now looking for breaker bar. Thanks all.
sleeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #31
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeBob View Post

Great job on the spindle. ^^^ Not to hijack, but I've seen off-roaders (mainly Jeepers) use this trick on their spare tires. They install a spindle, hub, brake assembly (sometimes) and locking hub, in the event they smack a rock while wheeling.

I'm going to remount my spare, and am considering fabricating a bit heavier duty mounting bracket and relocating it behind the bumper (so it's between the coach and bumper) and letting the spare rest on top of the bumper. I'm guessing less twisting torque and added clearance. We'll see.

On the trip home, after picking it up at the dealer, it dragged on the road as I entered my driveway and twisted the bracket, but luckily not the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Got the spare. Local chain tire shop, but very customer oriented when it comes to safety and quality. Bumped up to 10 ply Load Range E. Now looking for breaker bar. Thanks all.

I've got a breaker bar with various sockets, up to something like 1 5/16 or so, in a carry box. It has Husky on it so guess I got it at Home Depot? It's worked fine.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:30 AM   #33
bsmith0404

Quote:
This is a very good wrench, compact and easy to store under the seat and has all of the sizes you need.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Gorill...iABEgLxB_D_BwE

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:45 AM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

A lot of people don't like Harbor Freight tools, but I'd say most of those people will borrow some of my HF stuff when they're stuck in a jam... So: HF has a 25" breaker bar that normally lists for $12.99 and there's often a coupon to buy it for $9.99. I've had one in my trailer for 15 years now and it's never broken, is surprisingly durable and has been used with a 6' section of "fence post pipe", a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter and a 2" socket to really crank on a stuck nut on a tractor implement. I bent the handle on the breaker bar and the pipe, but the roll pin/socket head on the breaker bar held and I got the nut off the box blade.

That said, for 10 bucks, you might consider this: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...bar-60819.html

ADDED: After posting this, I opened an email from HF and there's a coupon in the email for this wrench for $8.99. So, "for 9 bucks......."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote