Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #21
Richard Noble

Re: crowded colorado

I've lived in Colorado over 56 years. The eastern side - Denver et al, is growing and has always had a traffic problem. Pot did not change that. The western side - Grand Junction through Montrose, has seen a very slow growth but that is changing since the oil and coal industries are closing down. I see that crude oil price per barrel is climbing again so that will change out here also. I live near Cedaredge (about 60 miles east of Grand Junction) and do not see much impact from population increase or pot. Real Estate prices are not increasing here but it seems to be a sellers market in the greater Denver area. In my opinion, the use of cannabis is not near as bad as alcohol. This State has seen a boon from the tax revenue from the sale of pot. The are no statistics that indicate any increase in crime from pot use. Most all that I know that use this stuff (and I don't) do not seem to have any anger that might lead to violence. I've been in all 50 states and Colorado is the best overall. That is, until it starts snowing and then we head south!
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

I suspect you've lived in CO for 56 years so the incremental increases are not noticed. Over a span of a couple of years, to others, it is alarmingly noticeable.

Not to start a pot vs alcohol debate (the OP was talking about people in CO), I have personally been involved with many that use both alcohol and drugs. Family, best friends etc. Alcohol is alcohol. Pot is the entry drug for everything else. Everyone I know/knew that used alcohol used alcohol. Pot not so. My best friend went from that, to LSD, cocaine then heroin. Didn't kill himself but killed what life he could have had. One of my family members started on pot, then hash, then cocaine.....to the point that his wife called me when his counselor was standing outside the bathroom door while he was ODing on coke. I spent 14k of my money to put him in rehab and try to straighten him out. NO, pot and alcohol are not the same.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #23
notanlines

One thing that we might keep in mind is that the majority of Coloradoans DO want the sale and use of pot in their state and voted accordingly. It is my feeling that the use of pot will not increase considerably, only the chasing of individual users will decrease considerably. I was in business on my own for 33 years. In the industrial painting business alcohol is by far the more damaging of the two. I saw considerable use of both and our budget paid for alcohol rehab out the kazoo and never for pot. That being said, I believe that Colorado is changing with the times, other states will follow suit, and our RV camping sites will become harder and harder to find. Yes, I realize we have vectored a little off the original subject, but I will end with an even more irritating statement. Y'all have only seen the beginning of drones in your campsite! Get the 20 gauges ready!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
One thing that we might keep in mind is that the majority of Coloradoans DO want the sale and use of pot in their state and voted accordingly. It is my feeling that the use of pot will not increase considerably, only the chasing of individual users will decrease considerably. I was in business on my own for 33 years. In the industrial painting business alcohol is by far the more damaging of the two. I saw considerable use of both and our budget paid for alcohol rehab out the kazoo and never for pot. That being said, I believe that Colorado is changing with the times, other states will follow suit, and our RV camping sites will become harder and harder to find. Yes, I realize we have vectored a little off the original subject, but I will end with an even more irritating statement. Y'all have only seen the beginning of drones in your campsite! Get the 20 gauges ready!
Unfortunately I think your observations illustrate how we, as Americans, have given up our rights as granted by the Constitution. As far as I know all studies have shown that pot always moves the user to more potent stuff...I've NEVER seen anything different in 66 years.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #25
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Unfortunately I think your observations illustrate how we, as Americans, have given up our rights as granted by the Constitution. As far as I know all studies have shown that pot always moves the user to more potent stuff...I've NEVER seen anything different in 66 years. I'm assuming you are a druggie (pot)?.
My nephew started on harmless pot and graduated until he killed himself on heroin. Dead at 28 leaving a young son.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:24 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Unfortunately I think your observations illustrate how we, as Americans, have given up our rights as granted by the Constitution. As far as I know all studies have shown that pot always moves the user to more potent stuff...I've NEVER seen anything different in 66 years.
My comment above is off topic (crowded CO) and needs to be ignored. It's hard to be objective when the subject is personal. As was pointed out, the citizens voted for legalizing pot exercising their Constitutional rights. The pot vs alcohol debate is much like GM vs Ford, gas vs diesel etc. - no sense in debating it on an RV forum. I do think it has a hand in the influx of people coming into CO and that will be my last comment on the subject.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #27
notanlines

Risking taking this thread even further from the original topic, I'll ask this. Kindly take one minute and read the following article from the National Institute on Drug Abuse. In very few words it sums up the latest information on pot, alcohol and tobacco being gateway drugs. They have that right and you have the right to avoid their state. We spent two weeks in September in Fairplay, Colorado visiting work-camper friends there and nothing seemed amiss to us. I didn't happen to see anything drug-oriented for sale in any stores we frequented so I don't actually know where one might buy the product.
I ended my post commenting about drones being more of a problem in the distant future. I've noticed more RV parks with signs as one enters prohibiting their use. I'm not sure if the 20 gauge might not be the answer.
Oh, by the way Sourdough. I might be interested in a PM or two from you concerning our rights. I'll bet you and I have a lot in common with our beliefs concerning that subject.
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...a-gateway-drug
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #28
Richard Noble

Yesterday I looked at the two RV parks we have here. One is in town and the other is north of town on the way up the Grand Mesa. I have never seen them this busy this time of the year. So I have to agree with the crowded Colorado comments. From the traffic going up the Mesa I think folks are going there in increasing numbers. There has been snow up there but I don't think there is any left on the ground. Snow - yep time to head south. All I have to do is finish the Zip finish project. I have convinced DW that we will get better mileage if I put a slick finish on the truck and 5er.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #29
gearhead

I'll try to take us back......maybe the increase in population in some areas and the increase in RV's is because some folks have no choice. They can't afford a traditional home on Soc Sec benefits. They may have made poor financial decisions and a RV is all they can afford to live in. After I retired from 35 years in the refinery I did some contract work for my ex-employer. A lot of it was oilfield related. Those folks live like gypsies. One grew up in Alabama and lived there while working offshore Gulf of Mexico. Then transferred to north Texas and bought a home there. Then transferred to south Texas. His family was in north Texas, his office was in Houston, and he had a company apartment in Laredo. Many others had large 5th wheels and moved from project to project. Most of them are in the Permian Basin/Midland now.
There is a lot of pipeline and petrochemical related work east of Houston and new RV parks are everywhere. Our CPA just bought one and said he should have it paid for in 2 years.
I see trailers all over the roads around here.
edit....and Houston sure isn't a vacation mecca!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #30
jsmith948

We just stayed at the Durango KOA while we explored Mesa Verde. Very nice park BTW. Did not seem to be crowded.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #31
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
We just stayed at the Durango KOA while we explored Mesa Verde. Very nice park BTW. Did not seem to be crowded.
We were there over Labor Day and it was full to bursting. I do agree about that KOA being a very nice park even though we were at the very top limit on size. We had their pancake breakfast as well which was pretty good.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #32
BOWWOW

There are 6 dispensaries in Durango, there is 1 6 miles from Fairplay and 3 more within 20 miles. After many years and miles of touring 42 states on a bus I have seen alcohol and drugs equally ruin lives. The only difference to me is that alcohol takes longer. Sometimes there's nothing else to do on a tour bus. I did not vote to legalize pot.
Back on subject, I guess I am wondering if the RV industry will ever get on board at either a state or federal level to create more campgrounds or campsites. This summer I hiked several legs of the Colorado Trail tenting it for 1 or 2 nights each time. I found it hard to get away from people. Sometimes hearing music late at night and even smelling pot smoke on 2 occasions. There were people actually cutting down live trees to make a spot for their tent. I remember getting a $125.00 fine for putting a nail in one maybe 15 years ago. If you want to see and the camp in the rockies you might want to check out Montana. Just sayin as a NATIVE it ain't what it used to be.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #33
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
We were there over Labor Day and it was full to bursting. I do agree about that KOA being a very nice park even though we were at the very top limit on size. We had their pancake breakfast as well which was pretty good.
The cafe was shut down for the season when we were there. Great pancakes at Holbrook though.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #34
Richard Noble

I love Colorado. I went to undergraduate school at Fort Lewis College in Durango and grad school at CU. Durango is a great place to RV - maybe not so much in the summer. Try before or after the school year. We have RVed in many States and find that the before and after rule works most often. As to the pot thing - if you don't like it, don't use it. Just do not try to get anyone else to change to your way of thinking. I don't drink, don't smoke (anything) and I'm not Mormon (I only have one wife, who is Mormon).
Old 10-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #35
Richard Noble

Bowwow - noticed you have removed your decals. How does it look? I've been thinking about that.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #36
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Noble View Post
I love Colorado. I went to undergraduate school at Fort Lewis College in Durango and grad school at CU. Durango is a great place to RV - maybe not so much in the summer. Try before or after the school year. We have RVed in many States and find that the before and after rule works most often. As to the pot thing - if you don't like it, don't use it. Just do not try to get anyone else to change to your way of thinking. I don't drink, don't smoke (anything) and I'm not Mormon (I only have one wife, who is Mormon).
Smelling second hand cigarette smoke in the "fresh" outdoors is bad enough, but smelling pot outdoors really pees me off. It amounts to throwing your garbage in someone else's campsite as far as I'm concerned.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #37
BOWWOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Noble View Post
Bowwow - noticed you have removed your decals. How does it look? I've been thinking about that.
It looks better than peeling decals. I used acetone and a plastic scraper and many, many rags. No ghost marks somehow. Then a simple wax and buff.
I found some temporary decals that I change the phrase on the front cap now and then .
The latest was "Porch Honky"
I have since sold it bought a diesel pusher ,had fun with that and am selling it and the house with plans to live in a warmer climate.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #38
Steve S

So 4 pages later and no one can answer my question?
"That doesn't sound like fun camping at all Why would there be shootings at campgrounds" ??
Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
So 4 pages later and no one can answer my question?
"That doesn't sound like fun camping at all Why would there be shootings at campgrounds" ??
The OP said nothing of shooting in campgrounds. I believe he said he watched the news to see "which town had a shooting today" so you asked a question no one can address.

(I said I had posted my last comment on this topic but this seemed like something that could be easily clarified).
Old 10-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #40
Steve S

Quote:
The OP said nothing of shooting in campgrounds. I believe he said he watched the news to see "which town had a shooting today" so you asked a question no one can address.

(I said I had posted my last comment on this topic but this seemed like something that could be easily clarified).
To rephrase it then. Why would a person need to watch the news to find out where all the shootings then? Is it normal to have to find a safe place to camp and to make sure that you have a gun?
I did a lot of camping this yr, up to the Yukon and all over BC and not once did I have a problem with anyone. I met alot of good people and we all had a great time!