Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
busterbrown

Slide seals and 303 Aerospace Protectant

I finally got around to applying some 303 on both sets of slide-out seals at the campground 2 days ago. Sprayed it on a soft cloth and ran it down both the inside and outside of each seal. Didn't do top seals (under the slide toppers) as I only had access to my step stool. Yesterday, after prepping for departure, I began to run both slides in. It seems that both slides now screech/squeal and shudder extensively when moving in and out. This is an obvious correlation to applying the 303 Protectant. Anyone have this experience with 303 on the slide seals? I'm thinking baby powder is all that was needed. The noises and shuddering did not exist before the application of 303.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:59 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I use the foamy slide seal conditioner. No noise. 303 is good stuff, and I bought it for my roof, but I don't use it on my slide seals.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:31 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I use the foamy slide seal conditioner. No noise. 303 is good stuff, and I bought it for my roof, but I don't use it on my slide seals.
Also have used this foamy stuff, no issues other that I put the can somewhere so I can have easy access to it. Yeah can not remember where this easy aces place is
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There are three or four "well documented" threads on the forum, some as recent as last month, describing the "shuddering slide" issue. Every one of them leads back to using "conditioner" on the slide seals. In all cases, cleaning the slide seals thoroughly and then applying a product call "Zep 45" and solving the shudder.

Sourdough and gearhead both documented their problems and solutions in various threads. I'd suspect that your shuddering is directly related to using Aerospace 303 on the seals of a cable driven slide system.

Make it a "happy camper event" by cleaning the seals well, using the "right stuff" to condition them and keep the 303 for roofs, sidewalls and decal protection.

Good Luck !!!

ADDED: Ram driven slides are an "entirely different beast" and aren't nearly as "picky" as cable slides, so with my ram slide, I wouldn't hesitate to use 303, but on the smaller cable slide, I'd be very reluctant, so I just use the same "Camco foam seal conditioner" on all of them. Oh, Paraptor, maybe you left that can at my house? I found an extra that I didn't know I had on the shelf in the garage...... THANKS !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I think there is a direct correlation between the 303 and the grabbing, jerking slides. It happened to me as well. It also happened when I took it to the dealer to have them fix it and they applied the foamy stuff they used. Once we were I FL I had to wash and rinse the entire slide bottoms and side seals then apply Zep 45. The problem was gone.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
busterbrown

Zep 45 isn't easily obtainable. There are three varieties as well, Dual Force, Penetrating lubricant, and Lubrisil NC.

I'm going to use wash down all the slide seal's (bottoms and sides) with water and dish soap, then wipe again with denatured alcohol on both sides of each seal.

Is there a trusted and recommended alternative to Zep 45? I have two trips in the next 10 days and won't have time to wait for shipment outside of Amazon's prime.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
66joej

Don't know if I have just been lucky but have only used generic baby powder on slides on 3 RVs so far with no issues. Cheap and easy to apply. Just sprinkle on a rag and wipe on dry seals both bubble and wipers. Also use it on entry and storage door weatherstrips. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Don't know if I have just been lucky but have only used generic baby powder on slides on 3 RVs so far with no issues. Cheap and easy to apply. Just sprinkle on a rag and wipe on dry seals both bubble and wipers. Also use it on entry and storage door weatherstrips. JMO
I'm going your route. I watched a YouTube video on RV slide seal maintenance and the fulltimer (RVGeeks) swore by the results of baby powder to condition each seal. Now, I just need to carefully remove the 303 protectant.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I'm going your route. I watched a YouTube video on RV slide seal maintenance and the fulltimer (RVGeeks) swore by the results of baby powder to condition each seal. Now, I just need to carefully remove the 303 protectant.
I tried slide specific conditioner with bad results (jerkiness). I've gone to baby powder now and haven't seen any issues.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Zep 45 isn't easily obtainable. There are three varieties as well, Dual Force, Penetrating lubricant, and Lubrisil NC.

I'm going to use wash down all the slide seal's (bottoms and sides) with water and dish soap, then wipe again with denatured alcohol on both sides of each seal.

Is there a trusted and recommended alternative to Zep 45? I have two trips in the next 10 days and won't have time to wait for shipment outside of Amazon's prime.

Yes, the Zep 45 comes in different formulas. When I was dealing with Norco and ordering mine (by the case) they told me which one but I don't recall and I'm in CO, without the trailer, so can't look. I think the label said it had ptfe? but not sure. I do know it fixed mine, sent a can to another member of the forum with the same issue and he said it fixed his and I gave a can to the service manager at the dealership and he was amazed. I bought mine from Zep, but again, I had to buy a case.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes, the Zep 45 comes in different formulas. When I was dealing with Norco and ordering mine (by the case) they told me which one but I don't recall and I'm in CO, without the trailer, so can't look. I think the label said it had ptfe? but not sure. I do know it fixed mine, sent a can to another member of the forum with the same issue and he said it fixed his and I gave a can to the service manager at the dealership and he was amazed. I bought mine from Zep, but again, I had to buy a case.
Not investing in a case, for sure. I'll just keep my eye out on a single can from an eBay vendor.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Not investing in a case, for sure. I'll just keep my eye out on a single can from an eBay vendor.

Come on! It's just money and then you would have a lot of lubricant. Gave some to my son in law and he said it was head and shoulders above WD 40. Case price came to about $12xx a can. One member sent me a link where you could buy one can and I think it was about $20 per can. For me, with the problems I was having, and the dealer quoting a minimum of $1200 per slide to pull them and try to repair them, I bought the case of Zep singing and dancing.....AFTER it fixed the problem.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
cpaulsen

Have always 303 on my slide seals with no problems.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #14
busterbrown

At the campground now. I was able to wash and clean the seals to each slide. Applied a generous amount of baby powder to them after letting them dry. Ran them in and out but was still experiencing the shuddering and noise.

It wasn't until I applied powder to the top edge of the very rigid "seal plate" which makes contact with the bottom of the slide that I saw positive results. A few more extend and retract cycles and the slides are now moving smoother than ever.

Baby powder is abundant in our house as we still have 1 in diapers. So cost to me, $0. Won't be using any other seal conditioner as I've read bad things too.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #15
kfxgreenie

Baby powder and wax on the slide sides only here as well. Only problem is it so slick sometime the seals don't flip.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide