Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
NSTS1470

Travel suggestions

wondering if anyone has any tips for me. We are leaving on our first long haul trip ever with the camper. Leaving 4/14(Sat @5am) from MA to Disney Fort Wilderness. Plan on using the I95. Being our first long trip I feel pretty safe in regards to rest areas(traveling with 2 7 yr olds), fuel stops and places to sleep. We are planning on sleeping one nigth and arriving at disney sometime on Sunday. My wife and I will be sharing the drive time. I figure the long straight 95 is good for her since she has very minimal towing exp. I will probably do the first 8+ hrs of driving to clear NY, Baltimore and D.C.
Does anyone have any advice that I could benefit from. also am I correct in saying we cannot travel in the baltimore tunnel and have to go around over the francis scott bridge?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
f6bits

I’m no long hauler, but I’ve heard more than 5 hours per day no fun.

On that note, have you picked a place for that one night? RV Park? I’d think that between MA and Orlando there’s gotta be some worthwhile sights you can spend a day (each) at to unwind.

But as I think about it, I see that you have seven year olds and I’m guessing that you’re probably cramming this into their spring break and don’t have many free days, yes?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
NSTS1470

yeah with spring break time constraints we are looking to drive drive and drive some more. hoping to get the bulk of the trip done on Sat. 16 or so hours. Wife wants to sleep in the camper in a rest stop or walmart. I'm a little leary of doing that.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
MILBY

We have done thw Wal-mart thing we just put the landing gear down and did not unhook and took a nap. No problems.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
jje1960

Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILBY View Post
We have done thw Wal-mart thing we just put the landing gear down and did not unhook and took a nap. No problems.
We stop at many Walmart's, don't put down any landing gear though.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Many RVers have used Walmart as an overnight stop and have encountered no problems with security or being told to "move on". Some Walmarts have a No Overnight Parking sign displayed in their parking lot but most do not. If you are considering staying overnight, it might be a good idea to inform the management - as a courtesy - to get their permission.
If you go online, you can find out the location of all of the Walmart stores and also find out which are "RV friendly".
Rvers who do stay at Walmart need to leave the TV hooked up to the RV and park, of course, in the outer perimeter of the lot.
I believe that Rest Stops do not permit overnight parking at all and you would stand a better chance of being told to pack up and move at these areas as opposed to Walmart.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTS1470 View Post
wondering if anyone has any tips for me. We are leaving on our first long haul trip ever with the camper. Leaving 4/14(Sat @5am) from MA to Disney Fort Wilderness. Plan on using the I95. Being our first long trip I feel pretty safe in regards to rest areas(traveling with 2 7 yr olds), fuel stops and places to sleep. We are planning on sleeping one nigth and arriving at disney sometime on Sunday. My wife and I will be sharing the drive time. I figure the long straight 95 is good for her since she has very minimal towing exp. I will probably do the first 8+ hrs of driving to clear NY, Baltimore and D.C.
Does anyone have any advice that I could benefit from. also am I correct in saying we cannot travel in the baltimore tunnel and have to go around over the francis scott bridge?
NSTS1470, We make that trip every year and will be leaving 3/29 this year. We leave NJ Friday night at around 9pm .... this puts us past Richmond, VA before any morning traffic and after this point your less experienced driver should not have any problems. We have found I695W towards Towson, MD to be the best route to avoid Baltimore and DC. The DW does not like the F.S.Key bridges so I don't take them.

We usually grab some sleep in a SC rest area (They were patrolled last year but with government cut-backs, who knows???) or a FlyingJ truck stop If there is room. If you plan on taking I95S to I4W to Orlando put the experienced driver back behind the wheel before Jacksonville. We take I95S to I295 (Jacksonville by-pass) to I10W to I75S. It is longer but I can run cruise control and relax most of the way. I hope this helps. Travel safely and enjoy Disney, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Outbackmel

I 95 to 295 by pass around Jacksonville

2 advantages of using 295:
1. less traffic
2. road pavement is in better condition.

PLEASE, this is a warning for prevention, not to scare anyone.

I lived in that area for 16 years and am a grad of Jacksonville U. Was a manager at Barnett Bank, NA, largest bank in FL, housed in downtown Jax. Now it is Bank of America.

DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR and PAY ATTENTION as you make that shift around Jax. Many very serious and tragic accidents happen in that corridor. WHY? Most people traveling in that area are "tourists" heading down to Disney and the merge comes up quick as you cruise along. Many drivers are TIRED as they stretch their capacity to beyond max to reach Disney during the school break. Watch for people who may be confused and try to get into that 295 merge from any lane at any speed. DO NOT HAVE YOUR LEAST EXPERIENCED DRIVER IN CHARGE AT THIS JUNCTION.

Before you exit Georgia, coming from the north, just switch to a fresh, alert driver and you will be fine.

Enjoy Florida and be safe. Make GREAT fun memories. After all, it is the Magic Kingdom!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
hankaye

NSTS1470, Howdy;

Best bet is to stay out of Rest areas after dark. Lots of creepy things crawl out of the shadows... Most Truck drivers tend to stay away from them as well.

I-695 around Baltimore (as mentioned), MUCH better route to take then I-495 towords Greenbelt (East), should prove to be the least eventfull path around D.C..

During my 1st divorce I was bouncing back and forth between Va. Beach, Va. and Jacksonville, Fl. usually took between 11 and 12 hours. That's for reference.

The resy is up to you... Have a good time, Don't push your travel ...... if ya have to pull over .....ya have ta pull over... Think of the kids.

hankaye

PS. Dosen't matter what the posted speed limits are ... it generally takes 2 hours to travel 100 miles, average.
to be utilized as a guide.... Mapquest, googleEarth, ect. don't allow for the hills, accidents and such that ALL add to the time it takes to get fron 'A' to 'B'

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
NSTS1470

Thanks everyone for the info, greatly appreciated. I have found some geat apps for my phone. AAA, I 95, Flying J/Pilot and Walmart locator. Flying J/pilot shows your location and then shows the nearby locations of their stops with address, milage and exit numbers as well as current fuel prices. The walmart app is an app for overnight parking. gives you directions, distance, phone number and if its no parking or possible parking. One more question I have. Does anyone know of an easy way to figure out tolls whithout having to go to every states website.