Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2019, 07:46 AM   #21
hankaye

KCSA75, Howdy;

" Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
We inquired a few years ago about staying at the COE parks. I am retired Cdn. govt. (RCMP) and was told it was for US citizens only. Correct me if I am wrong. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I have never heard of this. Most COE campgrounds are at federal reservoirs and projects owned and managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. One of DW's (Dear (Dearest) Wife) favorite camping spots is in a COE campground so we go often.

No "membership" is required and I've never been asked about citizenship when making a reservation or checking in, nor have I seen anything related to citizenship in the campground rules or Ts & Cs.
Probably because you didn't have Canadian plates on your vehicle, or a Canadian form of ID ...

Sure hope that 66joej tells us what information he discovers.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

OK, Here's what I can find regarding use of ACOE facilities.

ACOE is open for anyone without regard to nationality.
ACOE charges a "day use fee" to enter and use all facilities.
The "day use fee" is included in all camping fees, so there is no added entry fee.
There are two "use cards" that allow for unrestricted entry to ACOE facilities. They are a ACOE annual pass and the National Park Service "America the Beautiful Passport".

ACOE annual passes can be purchased by anyone, without regard to nationality.

America the Beautiful passports have a variety of "programs", each with specific eligibility requirements. All of them provide entry to ACOE facilities and SOME of them provide for 50% camping fees at ACOE campgrounds.

SOME (not all) of the NFS America the Beautiful passports can be purchased by Canadians and used at ACOE facilities for "day use pass" entry, but since campground use entry is included in the campground fee, buying the ACOE day use pass doesn't provide any savings.

The NFS America the Beautiful passport can be purchased by anyone (US citizenship not required) and can be used for entry to ACOE facilities, but does not include camping discounts. (in other words, it won't benefit ACOE use for camping). There is no 50% discount for this pass.

The NFS America the Beautiful SENIOR passport costs $20 for an annual card or $80 for a lifetime card. It provides for 50% discount for camping and provides a 50% discount at ACOE campgrounds. It is available to US citizens and permanent residents over the age of 62. It is not available to "non-US" visitors who do not have permanent resident status.

So, the way I understand it, Canadians, whether civilian, retired Canadian military or other Canadian uniformed service do not qualify for reduced camping fees at ACOE facilities under any of the current programs.

There is an additional NFS "access pass" that is free, available to US citizens and permanent residents with a permanent disability. It provides for the 50% discount to the holder, but again, does not appear to be available to non-US citizens.

One way to obtain discounted access is with the NFS volunteer pass. It is a 12 month pass, obtained after 250 hours of volunteer service at participating interagency facilities. So, anyone could volunteer to be a campground host (or other volunteer activity) and "earn" a free pass that can be used for ACOE day use, but it does not provide the 50% discount.

I don't see any "clear means" for Canadian citizens to access the 50% discount. That said, I have no doubt there are some "obscure programs or policies" that circumvent the printed regulations. Seems there always are "backdoors" and I haven't found them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #23
johnlewis

We have stayed at several COE camps in Texas and other parts of the West. Primarily, we look for COE camps with at least water and power. We like the larger campsites, so no one is smack against you. Most COE camps have hosts, but no paid personnel between 4 PM or 5 PM and 8 AM. Emergency numbers are displayed on the office window, if you need someone. We have never had a problem with other campers in COE camps.
We stayed at the MIdway COE in Waco, which was very nice. It's on Lake Waco. I understand the Airport COE is very nice, too.
The COE has a website that gives info on each of their camps, or you can check out Campground Reviews (formerly RV Park Reviews), http://www.campgroundreviews.com/ They give a lot of information and reviews on over 17,000 campgrounds, which we have found to be pretty accurate.
Have a great trip!
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #24
roadglide

I opened up a new thread asking about COE after I got home and had reliable service . I could have read this thread and got the same results. Since then I have ordered COE book and have 5 Parkes reserved . My sweet heart has all stay it has the same information as my COE book .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground