Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
arturob

Water holding tank/water pump

I have a cougar 322QBS and I'm a complete novice at trailer camping. I bought the unit second hand so I didnt get very much instruction in how to operate the unit. My current problem is trying to get the water storage system to work when boondocking. When I tried to fill the holding tank I very soon saw water flowing out of a plastic tube at the rear of the trailer. I wasnt sure if this was a drain tube with a missing cap or an overflow. I called an RV dealer that sells Keystone and one of their techs suggested this was probably an overflow. The gauge lights inside on the control panel are telling me the storage tank is empty however. When I turned on the water pump I did get some water but it quickly dried up and then I got lots of gurgling then a spurt of water again then more gurgling and air coming out the tap. I am guessing that I have an empty tank and that what I thought was an overflow is actually an uncapped drain tube. Anyone have a similar unit that can tell me whats going on?? The manual that came with the trailer is a joke and hardly has any information. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Look at the tube, if it has a threaded end it's a drain that needs a cap. If it is cut clean it is most likely an overflow.

You need to get underneath and inspect for drains and such so you KNOW what's what. Your looking for the following:

A single line, probably blue or white with a fitting for a cap.

A single line, probably white or blue with a clean cut end.

A PAIR of lines, with caps probably one red and one white or blue next to each other.

The single line with cap will be the fresh tank drain

The single line cut clean will be the overflow

The pair of lines will be the low point drains.

Let me know what you find, and we can go from there, but it sounds like the drain is open.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Javi

Probably missing the cap but it should look something like this. These are the low point drain lines but the FW drain will usually look like this also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3195402.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	7473  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Ram189

I agree with everyone above.

Sounds like a fresh water drain. Is there a valve on it or a threaded end?

My old trailer had a threaded end on it but some have a valve that will rotate one way or the other to shut it.

If threaded you will have to find a cap that will work. By a couple of them if you find them because I dropped one in long grass once and looked for 3 days and never found the thing. It was a green cap also. Paint it yellow or something.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
wahoonc

As a general rule the freshwater drain will have a valve, low point drains on most trailers now have caps. Sounds like you may be missing a cap. To the best of my knowledge there isn't really an overflow on the fresh water tanks. There is an air vent that is built into the fresh water fill. Small round screen, found out mine was blocked.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
GaryWT

By tube at the back, what do you mean? Hanging off the side or under the trailer. Generally the fresh water tank is somewhat closes to where the fill is and the drain is directly below the tank. All 3 of my drains are screw on caps, no valves. The air hose is next to the fill and generally I get splash back from the fill hose when the tank is full.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Ram189

On my 2000 Citation TT I had it was a tube with a cap dead in the middle of the back of that trailer. Had to lay on my back to pull the cap to drain the thing. Everytime I did it I got dirty or wet or both in some cases.
Hated that part of that trailer.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
AGYOUNG

Smile Drains drains drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturob View Post
I have a cougar 322QBS and I'm a complete novice at trailer camping. I bought the unit second hand so I didnt get very much instruction in how to operate the unit. My current problem is trying to get the water storage system to work when boondocking. When I tried to fill the holding tank I very soon saw water flowing out of a plastic tube at the rear of the trailer. I wasnt sure if this was a drain tube with a missing cap or an overflow. I called an RV dealer that sells Keystone and one of their techs suggested this was probably an overflow. The gauge lights inside on the control panel are telling me the storage tank is empty however. When I turned on the water pump I did get some water but it quickly dried up and then I got lots of gurgling then a spurt of water again then more gurgling and air coming out the tap. I am guessing that I have an empty tank and that what I thought was an overflow is actually an uncapped drain tube. Anyone have a similar unit that can tell me whats going on?? The manual that came with the trailer is a joke and hardly has any information. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
I agree with the threaded / cut theory. If you want to determine without question, put some water in your fresh water tank and add a couple drops of food coloring (anything but yellow). Put a pee pad or couple sheets of newspaper under the drain. Make sure the pee pad / newspaper is under the drain before putting water in the tank. If it's the drain you will know almost immediately by the colored water. The overflow is next to the fill tube. On my FW it is behind a locked door and no common fitting.

This way you can get a new cap (real cheep) or put a ball valve on it as I have done. I have a small hose on the other side of the ball valve that curves away from the valve knob. This points the water stream away from me when I have to open it.
AGYOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
arturob

Thank you all for being so willing to help a newbie. I am attaching a photo of the tube - it is threaded so I am thinking it must be a drain that it missing a cap. I know its connected to the fresh water system since it only runs water when I try to fill the fresh water tank. There is a pair of tubes with caps in the middle of the trailer that I think must be the low point drains someone was mentioning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1316.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	7497  
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
AGYOUNG

Talking Red & Blue

On my 337FLS those two are from the water heater. If you want to clear the system there are several great videos to guide you through. If there aren't any leaks and the caps are intact you are good to go.

I got caught with the sudden artic freeze in MN; since the temp went up over the weekend I was able to winterize totally. I used the compressed air blowout. Everything went well. That's how I'm so totally up on the silly little tubes. I played with them all.
AGYOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturob View Post
Thank you all for being so willing to help a newbie. I am attaching a photo of the tube - it is threaded so I am thinking it must be a drain that it missing a cap. I know its connected to the fresh water system since it only runs water when I try to fill the fresh water tank. There is a pair of tubes with caps in the middle of the trailer that I think must be the low point drains someone was mentioning.
You are correct, that is your fresh water tank drain. Sometimes (maybe you'll be lucky) people store the cap to that drain in the water heater compartment. Open your water heater door and look along the bottom, possibly it is stored there. If not, caps are readily available at most RV service centers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
arturob

Finally got the cap from a dealership for a few bucks and it solved the problem totally. Once again, thanks to all of you for your helpfull suggestions.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
GaryWT

Glad you have it figured out and fixed. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote