Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
halfprice

Another outside speaker question

I have a 2008 Springdale 242FWRLSSR The 5th does not have any outside speakers. My question is do you guys think they ran the wiring but never installed the speakers.

I would like to get two speakers outside if possible but to run the wires would be a major PITA. I was hoping they are there just not exposed.

I guess I could answer my own question by looking at the back of the stereo to see if the third set of wires are there, but its enclosed and would be a little difficult to get to.

I was just hoping someone knew the answer.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
poochy

Wink

jerry we just got rid of our 2007 284 bhs springdale our stereo was a combo am, fm, dvd player and only 4 screws unit will slide out there is a speaker B outlet .I ran the speaker wires in corner of bottom cabnet then thur the wall into the thur and thur storage then out the bottom and put a 2 speaker push pin connector from radio shack and best buy rock looking speakers sounds great and a great conversation piece easy hook up and easy store away good luck butch
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poochy View Post
jerry we just got rid of our 2007 284 bhs springdale our stereo was a combo am, fm, dvd player and only 4 screws unit will slide out there is a speaker B outlet .I ran the speaker wires in corner of bottom cabnet then thur the wall into the thur and thur storage then out the bottom and put a 2 speaker push pin connector from radio shack and best buy rock looking speakers sounds great and a great conversation piece easy hook up and easy store away good luck butch
I guess this will be a summer project. I don't have a thru and thru storage but I might be able to run the wires some how. I have to finish my other started projects first then look into this.

Thanks for the input.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Mij

My last camper did not have outdoors either. I got the wiring on the back of the radio figured out and in my situation it was easy to run the wires to an outside storage door and left enough wire to have a couple feet of slack. I mounted two threeway Infinity Kappa Series speakers I had in plastic coffee ground containers. I cut a hole in the bottom of the container and screwed the speakers to it. I hard wired jumper wires to the speakers with a bit of wire and sodered connectors to connect the the camper wiring. I mounted the two speaker units together with a 2x4 that was 4" long and 2" wide and the front and 1" wide at the back so it looked like a wedge and screwed each speaker to it so they projected at different angles when mounted. Finally I ran a 4" carrage bolt threw the 2x4 and ran a nylon nut on the end of it leaving some thread exposed. The thread of the nut match an exposed bolt on the bottom of my camper. So in short I would mount my homemade speakers to the underside of my camper during set up and take them down when in transit and did no cutting or extensive wire running though the unit to get outdoor speakers. Pics tomorrow... sounds cobbled but it worked and took 30sec to hide in storage to prevent theft and had most everything in my garage.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Mij

got the pics. I still use them in my garage
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
halfprice

THanks for the pics. I'll be finishing my electrical mod this weekend (as long as FedEx makes the delivery Thursday) and will look into adding the speaker wire.

My stereo is located on the slide side of the 5th and I need the wires on the opposite side. If I can feed them down to the under carriage I might just do something like you did. I'll leave the wires zip tied to the frame and just sit the speakers on the ground when I want to listen to them.

Well I'll see what I get done this weekend.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas