Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Jacksonrc

Staying warm

Hey all,

I’m looking at my various options for heating this winter. I live in my trailer full time, I charge up my batteries with a generator every day since there is no hydro hooked up her until next spring. Propane is just plain expensive where I live too. $50 to fill a 30lbs tank.

Last winter was just brutal on my pocket book running my propane furnace all the time. Yes, I have had my trailer skirted.

I’ve been leaning towards a 12V diesel heater......but have also thought about having a roof top heat pump installed that I could run only when needed via the generator......in both cases, I could still use my furnace to supplement any other heating option I go with.

So, does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas on the matter?

Jacksonrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You might find that renting/leasing a larger "bulk propane tank" (100 gallons or even larger) is cheaper to fill and lasts a lot longer than the 30 pound (7 gallon) tanks that most of us have.

Usually a bulk tank is serviced by a propane distribution company and they also rent/set the tank on your property. Around here, it's around half the price of using 20 or 30 pound tanks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

As John mentioned above, the larger capacity tanks might be an option. Where we winter some of the full timers have motorhomes that apparently have large tanks and the local LP company sends a truck out to fill them in the winter. I don't know if they would do that for a single individual but if there are others around you it might be an option.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
Jacksonrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might find that renting/leasing a larger "bulk propane tank" (100 gallons or even larger) is cheaper to fill and lasts a lot longer than the 30 pound (7 gallon) tanks that most of us have.

Usually a bulk tank is serviced by a propane distribution company and they also rent/set the tank on your property. Around here, it's around half the price of using 20 or 30 pound tanks.
There is one bulk supplier on the island. Let’s just say (possibly hypothetically) that there is a personal beef between myself and the owner/operator of this company. So, bulk propane is a bit of an issue too. Lol

What are your thoughts on alternatives?
Old 08-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Resolve the "beef" ?????

If the temps are going to be below freezing for any length of time, you need heat below the floor. That means running the furnace (propane consumption) or converting the furnace to also operate on electricity. There is an "add on electrical system" for RV furnaces. While it's likely to mean that you'll also need to convert to 50 amp shore power capability, there is a 30 amp system that can provide somewhere around 6200 BTU at the furnace (most 1500 watt "stand alone electric floor heaters are around 5600 BTU) which, in turn, will be directed to the ductwork which includes the "sub floor area", which will protect your holding tanks during extremely cold weather. https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
roadglide

I use wave 8 catalytic heater there good for above freezing. Mine is built in under the sink and compression connected to the oven .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2003 24 ft partycraft pontoon boat 125 Mecury .
2018 800 Z force sport. 1970 JD crawler loader.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
Steveo57

Put in a woodstove?
Old 08-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #8
Jacksonrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Put in a woodstove?
The company that provides my insurance wonít allow a wood stove. Unfortuately.

Iíll have a look at these wave heaters....donít know much about them.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:59 AM   #9
Jim2366

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-...5yc1vZaz3Zc4m1

The mini split heat and air conditioner is affordable and only user 110 amps and might be your best bet. We have one in a room addition and it works great for both heat and air.

Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote