Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
dgleason

Panama City Camping In August

My daughter and family just moved to Tyndall AFB, right next to Panama City. My wife and I were thinking about visiting them during the colder months in Colorado. Now we're thinking we would like to see the grand kids while they aren't in school. That would be July/August sometime. I have never lived or camped in Florida, and have a few questions.

Is it too hot and humid to camp there in July/August? I think of Florida as a prime place to camp over the winter months and was wondering if folks camp there year around. We would stay at one of the campgrounds near Tyndall, close to the water. Also read that gulf breezes keep things a little cooler.

Bugs, snakes a problem? (My wife doesn't like snakes.) Wife and I were there in January and didn't see any bugs or snakes.

What else should I know?

Thanks.
dgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If your daughter is active duty at Tyndall, she can reserve a space at the FamCamp for you. The facility has 100 full hookup sites (30/50 amps with cable TV but no WIFI) and costs are $25 a night. Reservations can be made upto 90 days in advance. The FamCamp is "just offbase" but a part of the Tyndall facility and is on the left, just over the bay bridge on US98. I think you'll find that it's about half the price of campgrounds in the summer and 1/4 the going rate for winter camping. The FamCamp is open year round.

If you don't have two A/C's on your roof, you might want to consider the addition before you head to Florida for any June through September camping.

As for snakes, bugs, spiders and other "critters"... They are a part of the "Florida experience"... get used to them if you go snooping around in the underbrush, but usually you won't encounter much except the black flies and mosquitos in cleared areas. Oh, and if you golf, there's a great golf course on base, and yes, there's alligators in the water hazards.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
dgleason

They are active duty and we did take ride thru FamCamp when there in January. Nice campground. Sponsored quests can camp 4/1-11/1. The rest of the year is for retired and active duty only.

Have a rear 15K AC unit. Sounds like its pretty hot Jun thru Sept if I need both units.

My wife and I drove one of my daughters cars from utah to tyndall right after Christmas, then flew home. A guy sitting by us on the plane talked about the pygmy rattlesnakes and that freaked my wife out. Didn't see any gators last January either, just a few bears on the air force base.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I think "too warm" is going to depend on the individual. If you're from CO it might be a little warm. Humidity is definitely high. If you're there for a long time you start to get used to it; it not, you won't. We just try to limit our time "hanging out" outdoors during the day. Even then you will work up a pretty good sweat if you're doing anything. Lots of folks LOVE it....we're dry landers and love it there but prefer winter.

Bugs, snakes, alligators...all are part of FL. Bugs can be an issue and I've seen the biggest roaches?/water bugs I've ever seen in my life there when looking at houses with the kids. Snakes are there but only if you're poking around out in the boonies. I will say that puppy found what I thought was a stick but she was way too interested so I called her off. Turned out to be a pygmy rattler (I'd never seen one) and it coiled as soon as she pulled away. Very non aggressive and small (maybe 12"). Gators are just there. Don't see them a lot and don't think about them. Unless you just go looking for them, or let your dog romp in the water - or near the water, I doubt you would know they were there.

Back to bugs. Our biggest dislike in the summer are the no see ums. You can't get out in the evening without being swarmed by them....and they bite. Insect repellent helps but sometimes they still get so thick you breath them. We love to be out in the evening but those things can ruin the day if you're not prepared. Being close to the water will help. The breeze sort of keeps them at bay - they are so tiny.

All that said, just go prepared. Sunscreen if you want to be out a lot or on the water. Insect repellent. The more DEET the better for me Camp close to the water if you can but you don't have to. Take your fishing gear...... All kinds of stuff to catch.

Make your reservations early. People camp there (FL) year round. Winter is more popular. Panama City is nice but kind of busy. If the kids live there that may be where you want to be. To the east (Mexico Beach, Port St. Joe) it's more laid back but fewer amenities - in fact not much at all.

I've just given some of my observations. We love it there no matter the time of year so not trying to dissuade you - in fact my recommendation is to go. The 2nd AC is a definite IMO. We're from W TX so used to the heat but the humidity just drains us.

We've been fortunate enough to spend countless days/weeks/months with our grandkids when they were out of school. It's nothing like when they are going to school and we have made SO many memories that all of us remember because we spent days on end doing stuff together. As I said, we're in W TX and now follow them to FL every year for several months. Sounds like you're in CO and want to follow yours to FL as well. When making a trip that far you want to be able to spend as much time as you can with the grandkids ......so, make your plans and get on down there......with DEET and antiperspirant in hand I'm pretty sure you will have a blast.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgleason View Post
They are active duty and we did take ride thru FamCamp when there in January. Nice campground. Sponsored quests can camp 4/1-11/1. The rest of the year is for retired and active duty only.

Have a rear 15K AC unit. Sounds like its pretty hot Jun thru Sept if I need both units.

My wife and I drove one of my daughters cars from utah to tyndall right after Christmas, then flew home. A guy sitting by us on the plane talked about the pygmy rattlesnakes and that freaked my wife out. Didn't see any gators last January either, just a few bears on the air force base.

Thanks for the reply.
Looks like you posted while I was writing. If you plan on traveling many places outside CO I would get the 2nd AC anyway.

The pygmy rattlers are very non aggressive. I could not make the one puppy found do anything but coil and rattle....and I bugged it a LOT. Finally just pulled it across the pavement to the brush with a stick.....still coiled and rattling. I say rattling; they make no sound. The rattlers are TINY little buttons but are silent. Like most other things they say you will find them if you're digging around in the underbrush and that's where this one came from. Nothing to freak out about though. Stay in established areas and I doubt you will see anything.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
dgleason

Thanks for the info. Biggest reason for going is to spend time with our 4 grand kids, ages 3-10. That's gives me an idea of what to expect in the summer.