Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Trip Report: We just returned and learned a lot.
1) We never made it any further than Topeka KS. High winds, tornado warnings and snow in CO told us it was time to work our way home.
2) We set much too much of an aggressive schedule. Too much driving too little stopping. By the time we reached KS I was burned out and my wife doesn't drive when pulling.
3) Google maps just plain sucks! Little back road "short cuts" aren't. I ended up buying a Garman for RVs.
4) We took twice as long on the return and had a great time. We spent more time camping and less time driving. Some travel days were only 1.5 hours.
5) US roads are better than Interstates. Sure it's a little slower but I don't want to drive pulling at 70 MPH. Plus you see more stuff. We stopped at a bunch of interesting small attractions and had a blast.
6) Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds are some of the best and cheapest. Most have electric and water and large easy to park sites.
7) We joined Good Sam. Worth the price.

Next road trip, and we are planning it now, will be a lot less structured with fewer goals.

Sounds like it was great learning experience.

When we travel for a "road trip" I figure on about 5 hrs. a day so we can stop and look. As you found, sometimes that's too aggressive and you have to make changes as we do. If I have a set destination, like FL, that we go to every year, then I don't worry about lolly gagging because we've been that route so many times. I pre plan stops and we just go. The interstate can be handy but you just zip through places. As you found, the regular US highways go through far more interesting places, you see stuff up close and can stop. I've lost count of the times we've just pulled over at roadside stands in MS, GA, AL, etc. to buy boiled peanuts, sweet potatoes or whatever else they're selling. You can't do that, won't even see them, from an interstate.

It's a shame your trip was curtailed but it seemed like a stretch - that was a long trip with lots to see/do in between. Maybe you can plan another one and sort of bypass (go through) the places you've already been and set your sights on places further W. Keep in mind that if you're going to the mountainous regions (CO/UT), there is still snow. I've been to some passes in CO that were still closed the last week of June (off road). Good luck on your next trip.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #22
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Note: if either of you are 65 years old the America the beautiful senior pass is well worth the effort and $10 cost.

I'm camping with full hooks for 7 nights at a COE campground for a cost of $91 while typing this..

Javi
Yup, we both have the Old Folks Pass and used it a few times.
Might I ask where the COE campground is?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #23
linux3

Our next road trip will be MS, AL GA and VA. More camping less travel.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #24
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Yup, we both have the Old Folks Pass and used it a few times.
Might I ask where the COE campground is?
Lake Procter, outside of Comanche, Tx. Great little out of the way park... clean, quiet, well kept.

Finding the small, off the beaten path campgrounds is becoming increasingly important as more folks take up the lifestyle.

Javi
Old 06-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #25
ann9

B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ann9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #26
rwmurphy15

JRTJH
On the Good Sam trip planner where do you enter the hours you want to drive or the miles you want to travel each day. I can't seem to find that. Thanks