Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
Durga

Smile Full time living and winterizing Qs

Greetings! Im in NorCal and living full time (alone accept when I invite a dog inside ) - parked and hooked up to water and electricity.

What are recommendations for winterizing?

Im in the practice of :

-shutting off water from the source and bleeding out water lines when I know it will be Low 30s

-I disconnected battery

-put bubble wrap on windows

-bought electric blankets for bed

-shut off water pump from electric switch

Any details or smart tricks of your trade you want to share I would love to hear them

Thanks !

~ Anna
Durga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
rhagfo

How cold does it get, get either heated fresh water hose, or wrap with pipe insulation, or run heat tape along it.
Windows put the clear shrink storm windows on non movable windows. Need to watch drain line also.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
shov

and if your plugged in to utilities and living in it full time there is no need to disconnect the batteries...
shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Hi Anna;

What model/year is your trailer? You say you are full timing...with water and electric only? How are you handling the black tank?

You've been given some good suggestions but I'm wondering why you "winterize" every time the temp gets in the 30's if you are in the trailer? It seems to me that you are doing several things you don't need to and could simplify your processes. A little more info would surely help us give you better info.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

Anna,

Like Danny (Sourdough) said, it would be helpful to know what year and model your trailer is to give you better advice. For example, I would do things differently if I didn't have an enclosed underbelly, take more precautions with the water lines and not use an electric heater, than if I did.

A couple of suggestions for colder weather camping in general. "Vent pillows" for the roof vents help a lot. An electric mattress pad instead of an electric blanket is nice, especially if your bed is over the unheated pass through storage. It protects you from the cold mattress so you don't lose as much body heat. If you have wooden valances on your windows an inexpensive tension rod can be installed inside the valance and heavier curtains hung in front of the mini blinds or shades. If you just have a fabric valance the single rod can be replaced with a double rod and do the same thing on the inner rod. I use bath towels and tuck the bottom up under the blinds for a better seal. A dehumidifier

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
KeithInUpstateNY

My previous post ends abruptly because the screen suddenly went "blank" while I was typing on my phone. I thought at first I had lost the whole thing, but then noticed the cursor was not at the "beginning" of the post. I took a chance and hit the send button and sure enough my post was there. So I tried to edit it to finish it, but I could only see what I typed in the Reason bar. The main field still appeared blank and any new text moved the cursor, but I couldn't see what I was typing. It's like it is typing white text on a white background and I can't see any way to change it. But only in that reply. Entering this response was fine. Any ideas from the moderators?

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 01-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by compeakw View Post
My previous post ends abruptly because the screen suddenly went "blank" while I was typing on my phone. I thought at first I had lost the whole thing, but then noticed the cursor was not at the "beginning" of the post. I took a chance and hit the send button and sure enough my post was there. So I tried to edit it to finish it, but I could only see what I typed in the Reason bar. The main field still appeared blank and any new text moved the cursor, but I couldn't see what I was typing. It's like it is typing white text on a white background and I can't see any way to change it. But only in that reply. Entering this response was fine. Any ideas from the moderators?
Your post discussing the "why things would not edit" came through without a problem. So, you might consider continuing your comments in a new post. If you're unable to edit a post (I have no problems editing while using a laptop) the issue is likely on your end and a limitation of the equipment you're using. The easiest way to complete your thoughts would be a new post beginning with the word "dehumidifier".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #8
KeithInUpstateNY

John,

Thanks. I have no problems editing a post on my phone normally. I've been doing it since I joined the forum, usually to correct typos.

And I just saved and reopened this one too be sure. And then tried my previous post and got the same result, what appears to be a blank post in the edit mode. And as I think I said before, it went "blank" while I was typing the original post. Weird.

At any rate, I'll do as you suggested and finish my thoughts on the dehumidifier in another post.

Thanks again.

Keith

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #9
KeithInUpstateNY

A dehumidifier will help reduce condensation and the resulting mold problems. Especially watch for mold if you don't have a dehumidifier anywhere air and moisture can get trapped: the head of the mattress and the outside wall, the ends of the dinette cushions and the outside wall, inside cabinets, etc.

Keith

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 01-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

The quote button does not work;

As far as the comment about the dehumidifier; to us it is indispensible in humid climates or cold weather. We started running a HiSense several years ago and wouldn't do without it. I does not however eliminate the need to open vents and run vent fans. It is pretty big and heavy; it just lives in it's own cover in the bed of the truck for traveling and at the end of the island while in place. Living in the desert then living by the coast requires it for us "tumbleweeds". Many of the folks that live/stay here most of the time think we're crazy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing