Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #41
DCARLTON

Actually a lot of this makes sense in my case. Facing a similar situation on my still under warranty unit with damage in the middle of the room with the floor now settling about 1 inch, there definitely is some sort of build issue. My service guy called it a 'bonded floor' with the typical construction of luan/foam/luan. He can identify water damage on the bottom, but your explanation makes sense in that the top of the floor shouldn't fail due to the wicking of water up through a non wicking material (foam). This would indicate at least to me that if the top layer is failing and the bottom layer is wet, gravity is responsible for getting the bottom section wet.

Mine went to service today, hope to hear from them soon.
Georgia
DCARLTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck, Danny.

I hope your dealer gets on top of the problem and does you a good job. Finding the cause of a water leak is sometimes extremely difficult, but with persistence, they'll find and hopefully repair it. Keep us posted on what they find and how things progress. Thanks for the update.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #43
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree with ctbruce. Darco is a "standard across all brands" product. It's used on literally millions of RV wheelwells. If it were unsuitable for the purpose and if it had a high failure rate or caused this problem repeatedly, there would be significantly more reports of "rotten floors caused by Darco" than we have seen on this and other forums. There simply aren't that many reports of such a problem.

That's not to say yours isn't (or wasn't) caused by a hole(s) in the Darco, but rather, to say that it's not happening to other trailers in any quantity. If it was a "Darco problem" we'd see a lot more posts complaining of wet, soft, rotten floors because every wheelwell that Keystone produces is covered with Darco.

As Chip said, it's the "low hanging fruit" and easy to blame whether it's the actual cause or not. I would be extremely suspicious of anyone who blames a "leak on the side of a trailer floor" as being the "cause of floor rot in the center of the trailer.... Sort of like blaming "rainwater from an open window" for a wet spot on the carpet in the center of a house while the new puppy sleeps in a dog bed in that same room.
Then it's the substandard assembly, presuming draco is a good product. My guess, like my bedroom door, shower leaks from both sides on near the wall, back shade not lowering or raising, it's substandard assembly. The door hole was was clearly cut to large and the shoved it in without shims so the screen door won't catch the necessary latch, misses by 1/2. The shower is leaking from both corners where the metal should be sealed to the floor pan, so I'm guessing no sealant there. The shower walls aren't sticking to the bonding agent underneath so they obviously didn't clean either the wall or the shower wall when bonding the two together. The rear shade hasn't worked since day one, clearly a bad shade and the people assembling it didn't care and let it go. Two windows are missing screens and inthe first Idaho rain it was in I noticed a leak under a rear window. Now mind you this was a good 1/8 of an inch in 24 hours so I can understand why it had issues. This is only after 3 weekend camping trips and two payments. I'm not even talking about the add on products that have failed, just the shoddy workmanship building the trailer. If these folks are paid over minimum wage keystones is getting ripped off, as the work is horrendous. Clearly there is little to no QA in the factory and no pride in the workforce.

I like the layout of the trailer and the look, but this thing has more issues than national geographic and is only been on the road three months.

Shoot forgot about the AC. When it was installed they failed to put the foam sheet in correctly that separates the intake and exhaust. It's in there but there is a two inch gap at the top so the intake and exhaust aren't separated. Keystone, quality is job, last.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #44
DCARLTON

Quote:
Good Luck, Danny.

I hope your dealer gets on top of the problem and does you a good job. Finding the cause of a water leak is sometimes extremely difficult, but with persistence, they'll find and hopefully repair it. Keep us posted on what they find and how things progress. Thanks for the update.

So we took our last camping trip on October 26-28, got home, unloaded EVERYTHING from the camper and took it to the dealer on November 2 so they could begin a deeper look into the issue of my soft spot that started at about 1 foot square in the middle of the backside of the 2018 30RIPR floor adjacent to the island.

In their initial investigation prior to this, they determined that the 1 foot square area had grown to be the entire width of the trailer from one opposing slide to the other and was about 2-3 feet wide, now about 24 square feet of floor was severely damaged with a 1 to 1 1/2 in drop.

So, we receive an email from them today indicating that they believe that water is coming from the tires spraying water into the bolts that attach the rv to the frame.

They are sending pics to Keystone and awaiting calls from them. Remember this is on a 2018, put in service the middle of May 2018. Yes we've driven it in a couple of normal rain showers but not any type of flooding rain and has Keystone's Thermal package which one would think would mean you could take it camping in the rain.

Before taking it to them, after reading this thread, I took pictures of this area above the tires to see if there were any damage to the Darco in that area (there wasn't). I did feel small bumps on the other side of the Darco above the wheels which in my experience indicates that the luan has been compromised but my experience had also been that those bumps were caused by water on the other side of the wood.
Georgia
Old 11-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #45
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Danny, thanks for the update. Very interesting, as I would never have thought the spray could cause the damage described.

Keep us posted on further developments as I'm sure this will help others in the future.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #46
DCARLTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Danny, thanks for the update. Very interesting, as I would never have thought the spray could cause the damage described.

Keep us posted on further developments as I'm sure this will help others in the future.

Believe me when I say I'm not convinced of this either as it defies logic and can't wait to hear what Keystone says. I found it interesting that this was the explanation especially after following this thread where almost the exact same answer was given to the OP. I don't know if this is a standard answer due to the 'I don't know' factor, or 'I can't figure it out' factor.

But then it's scary from a standpoint of how does the owner/consumer protect their rv from this happening if it is truly the case. Is the fix to add some other sealant in that area that requires checking similar to the checks required on other seals on the RV?

Looking forward to hearing from Keystones response for sure.
Georgia
Old 11-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #47
FBO Cookie Monster

Wow. I have narrowed my RV search down to Cougar and Jayco HT. I have to say this thread scares the begeezus out of me!
Dunno how the Jayco product treats its wheel wells, but I do know their flooring is tongue and groove plywood.
I sincerely wish you the best of luck.
This whole RV thing is daunting.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #48
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
Wow. I have narrowed my RV search down to Cougar and Jayco HT. I have to say this thread scares the begeezus out of me!
Dunno how the Jayco product treats its wheel wells, but I do know their flooring is tongue and groove plywood.
If I were to bet $$ I'd bet the entry level rvs from Jayco are the very same floor construction as any other of the manufacturers, jump up one slot from entry level & they may be tongue & groove, but OSB & maybe 3/8" though, not plywood. Get into the high end rvs it will be plywood.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #49
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If I were to bet $$ I'd bet the entry level rvs from Jayco are the very same floor construction as any other of the manufacturers, jump up one slot from entry level & they may be tongue & groove, but OSB & maybe 3/8" though, not plywood. Get into the high end rvs it will be plywood.
Well, I believe it to be tongue and groove marine grade plywood in their HT line at least. https://www.jayco.com/download.php?f..._FINAL%203.pdf
Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #50
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You can be "almost 100% sure that the same construction techniques are used across all major RV brands. Construction (in any price range) is the major component cost. If there was a "significantly better or more durable technique" then all of the manufacturers would be using that method in their trailers. Jayco has "conveniently" eliminated the construction details that were a part of their brochures in years past. They leave much to "owner wishful thinking" after planting the "seeds of hope"... Looking at the current brochure, they state the roofing and floor decking are "tongue and groove". That gives a certain "impression" (to me it means better edge strength). Then a bit further down the list, they indicate the roof decking is 3/8" plywood. They don't state if it is luan or "USA origin" (pine plywood). The older brochures depict laminated floor construction with DARCO as the bottom layer, providing "a waterproof floor"....

IMHO, adding "tongue and groove" construction to the floor decking, on a laminated floor with 1/4" or 3/8" luan (or even plywood) top floor surface, won't improve the strength of the foam or make the floor any more durable than the "flat butt" technique used by Keystone, Forest River, Winnebago or DRV. You can only get so much "strength and durability" out of 3/8" luan or plywood when it's stretched across 24" aluminum stringers, backed with rigid foam and "protected from water intrusion" by DARCO film. The only "improvement" to be seen by the "tongue and groove" construction is less potential for a "visible wear line" on the vinyl flooring that's laid over the joints. Otherwise, potential for water damage, breakage by "stomping" on the unsupported spaces, durability "for the long haul" are essentially the same and aren't improved by "tongue and groove" joints.

As for which trailer brand to buy: They all use the same appliances, same construction techniques (within reason) same FILON, same carpet materials, same vinyl, same wallboard, same TPO roofing, same A/C, same ROMEX, same vinyl wrapped cabinet styles, same sinks, same water pumps, same holding tanks, same staples, same #2 Roberts screws, same converters/power centers, same windows, same butyl sealant tape, same....... same..... same....

For the most part, it comes down to floorplan, colors, which dealer you feel most comfortable buying from, etc. The trailers, for the most part, in any price range, are going to be "about the same quality" as the competition. Otherwise, the "bad choices" would become extinct and disappear..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #51
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
You can be "almost 100% sure that the same construction techniques are used across all major RV brands. Construction (in any price range) is the major component cost. If there was a "significantly better or more durable technique" then all of the manufacturers would be using that method in their trailers. Jayco has "conveniently" eliminated the construction details that were a part of their brochures in years past. They leave much to "owner wishful thinking" after planting the "seeds of hope"... Looking at the current brochure, they state the roofing and floor decking are "tongue and groove". That gives a certain "impression" (to me it means better edge strength). Then a bit further down the list, they indicate the roof decking is 3/8" plywood. They don't state if it is luan or "USA origin" (pine plywood). The older brochures depict laminated floor construction with DARCO as the bottom layer, providing "a waterproof floor"....

IMHO, adding "tongue and groove" construction to the floor decking, on a laminated floor with 1/4" or 3/8" luan (or even plywood) top floor surface, won't improve the strength of the foam or make the floor any more durable than the "flat butt" technique used by Keystone, Forest River, Winnebago or DRV. You can only get so much "strength and durability" out of 3/8" luan or plywood when it's stretched across 24" aluminum stringers, backed with rigid foam and "protected from water intrusion" by DARCO film. The only "improvement" to be seen by the "tongue and groove" construction is less potential for a "visible wear line" on the vinyl flooring that's laid over the joints. Otherwise, potential for water damage, breakage by "stomping" on the unsupported spaces, durability "for the long haul" are essentially the same and aren't improved by "tongue and groove" joints.

As for which trailer brand to buy: They all use the same appliances, same construction techniques (within reason) same FILON, same carpet materials, same vinyl, same wallboard, same TPO roofing, same A/C, same ROMEX, same vinyl wrapped cabinet styles, same sinks, same water pumps, same holding tanks, same staples, same #2 Roberts screws, same converters/power centers, same windows, same butyl sealant tape, same....... same..... same....

For the most part, it comes down to floorplan, colors, which dealer you feel most comfortable buying from, etc. The trailers, for the most part, in any price range, are going to be "about the same quality" as the competition. Otherwise, the "bad choices" would become extinct and disappear..... YMMV
I don’t disagree with most of that.
Did you see the link I posted with the Jayco brochure? It is tongue and groove plywood for the floor.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #52
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the brochure link posted, it looks like the Eagle and Eagle HT share the same floor construction. It looks like the construction used in the Springdale line. 5/8" plywood decking over 2x3 clear (whitewood ??) floor joists and either a DARCO or Coroplast underliner. The Cougar Half Ton uses laminated flooring while the Cougar uses 5/8" decking over aluminum floor joists. Which is stronger, more durable? I'm not one to make that kind of assessment. I do know that wooden floor joists are subject to water saturation more than aluminum floor joists, but in the "grand scheme of things, I'd wonder where Jayco is "trimming the weight" that was added by using 5/8" floor decking and wood 2x3 floor joists in the HT line?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #53
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Looking at the brochure link posted, it looks like the Eagle and Eagle HT share the same floor construction. It looks like the construction used in the Springdale line. 5/8" plywood decking over 2x3 clear (whitewood ??) floor joists and either a DARCO or Coroplast underliner. The Cougar Half Ton uses laminated flooring while the Cougar uses 5/8" decking over aluminum floor joists. Which is stronger, more durable? I'm not one to make that kind of assessment. I do know that wooden floor joists are subject to water saturation more than aluminum floor joists, but in the "grand scheme of things, I'd wonder where Jayco is "trimming the weight" that was added by using 5/8" floor decking and wood 2x3 floor joists in the HT line?
Dunno. I do know I’ve not come across a forum for rving that does not have cases of big issues.
Flooring is a big one though. Delamination, other leaks, frames cracking, it goes on and on. Every manufacturer. Pick your poison I guess.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Dunno. I do know I’ve not come across a forum for rving that does not have cases of big issues.
Flooring is a big one though. Delamination, other leaks, frames cracking, it goes on and on. Every manufacturer. Pick your poison I guess.
When you "choose your price range" you essentially also choose how your trailer will be built (construction quality and techniques), standard equipment, size, option availability and even warranty. For the most part, every manufacturer has "squeezed the turnip" to draw as much blood from the turnip as is possible. They "count beans" to stay "one step ahead of the competition" or to "break even with the competition" (if they are slightly behind)....

You're right, every manufacturer has their share of "nightmares" and there's no escaping that. What really matters, for most problems, is how the dealer handles the issue. Some dealers will "go the extra mile" some dealers will "wash their hands and blame the manufacturer" while some manufacturers will stay involved and some manufacturers will completely ignore a problem.... Which dealer? Which manufacturer? Which problems? It varies from moment to moment, issue to issue and sometimes, I even think it's a matter of what color shirt the owner is wearing when he takes the trailer to the dealership..... I know, I know, but the point is, sometimes there is simply no reasonable explanation why something breaks, how it's handled and what gets the priority repair and what gets turned back to the owner as "not our problem"......

I wish I could tell someone which trailer to buy, which manufacturer is better, or not as good as.... But, depending on the day, that seems to change as often as the weather in any given location......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #55
DCARLTON

2018 Keystone 30RIPR

Here is the update on my soft floor issue.

Spoke in person with our service advisor this morning concerning our issue. He received permission from Keystone to drop the Coroplast bottom from the wheel wells to the back of the trailer. He also received permission to cut open the Darco fabric in that same area.

What he found was a total failure of the bottom part of the floor due to water intrusion that appeared to be from road spray. He believes it is being saturated from water when driving, water hitting the bolts that attach the whole structure together. He indicated you could see the black mold streaks beginning at and around the wheels and going towards the back of the RV. He said he couldn't stay under the trailer long as the smell of the mold as well as what was growing to the damaged floor was making it difficult to breathe.

I received a call from Keystone Customer service gathering information about location/etc, and this was to be turned over to someone who will call and schedule a pickup of the trailer and take it back to the service department of Keystone where a decision will be made.

So, this unit, manufactured November 2017 and placed into service May of 2018 is headed back to the factory soon.
Georgia
Old 11-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #56
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCARLTON View Post
Here is the update on my soft floor issue.

Spoke in person with our service advisor this morning concerning our issue. He received permission from Keystone to drop the Coroplast bottom from the wheel wells to the back of the trailer. He also received permission to cut open the Darco fabric in that same area.

What he found was a total failure of the bottom part of the floor due to water intrusion that appeared to be from road spray. He believes it is being saturated from water when driving, water hitting the bolts that attach the whole structure together. He indicated you could see the black mold streaks beginning at and around the wheels and going towards the back of the RV. He said he couldn't stay under the trailer long as the smell of the mold as well as what was growing to the damaged floor was making it difficult to breathe.

I received a call from Keystone Customer service gathering information about location/etc, and this was to be turned over to someone who will call and schedule a pickup of the trailer and take it back to the service department of Keystone where a decision will be made.

So, this unit, manufactured November 2017 and placed into service May of 2018 is headed back to the factory soon.
Wowser. I'm glad it appears they are moving forward on this. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #57
meaz93*

Umm black mold? That's not good!
I hope that Keystone replaces that whole floor....holy crap.Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-30%2015.57.41.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	19328
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #58
Gegrad

Wow, that sounds like a complete manufacturing defect. You know it is SERIOUS when Keystone is towing it back to the factory. Best wishes moving forward with this, hopefully Keystone will make it right.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #59
FBO Cookie Monster

Wow, best of luck on a timely repair or replacement.

This thread has cost Keystone a sale. I really like the cougar, it had what I was looking for, a TT with an integrated useful 2" receiver hitch for my ebikes. I am now pretty sold on the Jayco White Hawk or a Fifth wheel. They have tongue and groove plywood floors, and galvanized wheel liners that seal fairly well. I am sure they have other issues, but being a bigger guy, I want stiff floors. While the White Hawk does not have the 2" receiver, I have a friend who is an awesome welder that can beef up the frame and support brackets to the rear bumper and set me up.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #60
DCARLTON

2018 Keystone 30RIPR

While I don't know exactly what will happen in the future, we are waiting on the call from Keystone to arrange the return. Considering that the floor is the first part of the assembly process and the walls are built on top of the floor, removing the top half of the RV body from the floor would be the only way to correct this issue; that will be a cost prohibitive option.
Georgia

Tags
cougar, floor