Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
GregH.

Tow hitch and new RV pickup questions

I'm moving from a truck camper to a new travel trailer (Bullet Premier 24RKPR) and I don't have a lot of experience towing stuff. I'm picking up my trailer this Saturday and I want to be ready to haul it home.

I have a 2005 Ford F350 DRW, it appears that the factory hitch is a Class 5 hitch. Does this sound correct?

I need to purchase a ball mount and ball. Should I wait and purchase that from the RV dealer so that we get the right height, etc., or should I buy that in advance from some known reputable source? Recommendations?

Other than an inspection checklist, what else will I need to pick up my new trailer?

Thanks folks,

Greg
GregH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Tbos

Class 5 hitch sounds right for your F350. That's what mine has. I'd find out what type of hitches your RV dealer sells. If you are happy with that brand and the price buy it there and have them set it up while showing you how. Even with a DRW I still recommend using a weight distribution hitch. I bought my Equalizer 4point WDH from my original dealer and had them set it up. I've since moved it from truck to truck making adjustments as needed. Have fun with you new rig. Welcome to the forum from Southern MD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

It is not uncommon for the dealer to include the first hitch that is purchased. Just a thought, you won't know if you don't ask. The equalizer 4 point is nice. It comes with a 2" shank standard. You will have to go look at your receiver on the truck to see if this is the size you have already. If it is a 2.5" you will need an adapter sleeve to make it work and you can get that now. Or you can special order a bigger shank (2.5") that is not included in the cost of the hitch. They run about $150 for that piece. You will need it before they set up your hitch. Either way, you will need something. And quick. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the above. I would contact the seller and see if a hitch is included in the price or if they will include it. My contract had it specified in writing on the front page of the deal. I use an Equalizer hitch as well and we are very pleased with it. Make sure you get a good hitch so you don't go through the exercise again. If they won't throw it in just buy it and let them install it and set it up.

I'm sure you probably have a 2 1/2" receiver. It may already have a sleeve in it. If not you need to get one before you buy a 2" hitch. If you want to pay the extra money, as was said above, you can get the 2 1/2" hitch head but you pay more for it and may have to wait. However you cut it you need one before you drive off. Also, remember that these hitches perform two functions; weight distribution AND sway control. Some don't have sway control and are just a plain WDH. You want the sway control.

So you can check out your new trailer when you get home be sure and get an adapter so you can have electricity. I don't know if you have 30A or 50A on the trailer but get one that will adapt whichever it is down to 120VAC so you can use a heavy extension cord and use some of the appliances as well as keep the batteries charged. Also make sure they filled your propane tanks so you can use the heater if you want to.

Congrats on the new trailer, good luck and happy camping.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

See my listed truck and trailer below. What ever hitch you get make sure it is a WDH and has anti sway bar or other device. Normal towing in normal conditions you may never feel the need. But, if and likely when you need it and do not have it, well maybe a scary drive or worse. My example last Nov. we were traveling at 60 and mostly 65 in some winds which is very normal on that freeway. Passed a TT and pickup going around 50. It was a 1 ton pickup and about 28ft TT. I could see before passing it was swaying. I was not. As I pass I looked to the hitch area. Yeah, no WHD, no anti sway. Coupler sitting on a hitch ball only. Of course I never spoke to the driver. But, made me wonder if he was even able to drive the 65 limit.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
See my listed truck and trailer below. What ever hitch you get make sure it is a WDH and has anti sway bar or other device. Normal towing in normal conditions you may never feel the need. But, if and likely when you need it and do not have it, well maybe a scary drive or worse. My example last Nov. we were traveling at 60 and mostly 65 in some winds which is very normal on that freeway. Passed a TT and pickup going around 50. It was a 1 ton pickup and about 28ft TT. I could see before passing it was swaying. I was not. As I pass I looked to the hitch area. Yeah, no WHD, no anti sway. Coupler sitting on a hitch ball only. Of course I never spoke to the driver. But, made me wonder if he was even able to drive the 65 limit.
I can hear it now, "I've got a 1 ton. I can tow anything!"
Old 03-14-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
jkohler70

Might have been a commercial transporter. I see them all the time towing with 1-ton trucks and no WD or sway control. I assume they cannot install the equipment on the new unit for transport.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:01 AM   #8
Allesfam

When we first got into TT camping we rented one to test out the waters before making such a large purchase. I borrowed a weight distribution hitch without sway control. My girls would literally scream anytime the trailer swayed. Needless to say, when we purchased our TT, I bought the best WDH with sway control they had. It just happened to be an Equalizer. As with almost anything I could have saved some money by purchasing the hitch online but I wanted to make sure it was set up right so I let the dealer do it. I haven't regretted that decision.
The dealer also offered a percentage off of the items in their store the day of purchase. I think we went a little overboard but we bought the previously mentioned electrical cord converters and wheel chocks so I could safely park it next to the house when we got home. Of course we bought a lot of other stuff because it was "on sale" but we were trying to get outfitted for camping not just getting home. Good luck and happy camping.
Allesfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
We bought our 1st TT last July and they threw in the Husky t/s Had no idea what type to buy. Have been very happy with the way they work. I do not think I would want to tow a trailer with the anti sway bars. I did like the idea that the dealer set the system up for me since I would not know what or how to set it up. Have fun.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
We bought our 1st TT last July and they threw in the Husky t/s Had no idea what type to buy. Have been very happy with the way they work. I do not think I would want to tow a trailer with the anti sway bars. I did like the idea that the dealer set the system up for me since I would not know what or how to set it up. Have fun.
You need anti sway. I'm not sure why you would not want it.....it protects you, your family, your truck and your trailer. Doesn't hurt if it isn't working and saves your bacon when it does.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:52 AM   #11
smpremier

I think he meant to say "without anti sway bars". At least I hope.
smpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #12
Seth

When I tow my TT, it's generally on the Interstate. IMO, any bumper pull trailer should always have sway control. Even with my Equalizer, I occasionally feel it from a passing Semi. I can't image hitting the road without one. Recently in my area we've had 30-35 MPH winds plus gusts. That's a recipe for disaster without sway (maybe even with sway, Lol) Anyone who's ever pulled anything east-west across Kansas would probably agree.

2013 Keystone Bullet 298BHS
2013 RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI and Airlift

Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
When I tow my TT, it's generally on the Interstate. IMO, any bumper pull trailer should always have sway control. Even with my Equalizer, I occasionally feel it from a passing Semi. I can't image hitting the road without one. Recently in my area we've had 30-35 MPH winds plus gusts. That's a recipe for disaster without sway (maybe even with sway, Lol) Anyone who's ever pulled anything east-west across Kansas would probably agree.
Lol, that's for sure. Been there twice, towed out there once, "fortunately", the wind was a headwind, about 35 mph, and I had the fiver. I swear I could see the fuel gauge dropping as we drove through MO. Flew out the other time and rented a Class C. Driving around the interstate "loop" around KC I had both hands on the wheel and almost got blown off the road a couple times, and into the next lane a couple more. I can't imagine doing that with a TT with no sway control.

Needless to say, even in "normal" or "calm" winds, I don't understand why anyone would voluntarily go without sway control.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
Malitov

Get the WDH and sway control. The truck won't have any issues towing, but the first time you pass another rig, you'll be glad you have it.
Bottom line, if you know what you want/need, you will undoubtedly find it cheaper from just about anywhere than your dealer, but if you are the least bit unsure, pay the extra for their experience.

Good luck!
Malitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #15
GregH.

Thanks folks, I got the Equalizer installed at the dealer and when towing the trailer home, I barely noticed it driving down the interstate.

Greg
GregH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH. View Post
Thanks folks, I got the Equalizer installed at the dealer and when towing the trailer home, I barely noticed it driving down the interstate.

Greg

Congrats! Good choice IMO.

Edit: be sure and lube it per the instructions. Sure cuts down on the noise and wear.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #17
BuxCamper

I saw a TT without any weight distribution or sway control going down a long steep hill/mountain in VT. The TT was absolutely in sway. All I could do was keep my distance and ask my wife to have the cell phone ready.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, tow