Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
tpznapod

Slider left out for summer?

Hi fellow Glampers. We just bought a rec lot and are going to leave our TT on it through the year and was wondering if anyone leaves their sliders out all summer long, or do you retract between stays? Its not a hassle to bring it in before leaving every time, just extra wear and tear. So I was just curious as to what others do.
Thanks,
Dan
tpznapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the Keystone Owner's Manual (but who ever follows the manufacturer's recommendations?) the slide should be "exercised regularly".

The actual statement reads: "Rooms that will be extended for long periods of time should be actuated 1-2 times a week." It's on page 71 of the 2019 Owner's Manual.

Any time an electric motor sits "without use" corrosion can occur on the windings, in the bearings, on the contacts. Gears, when they sit "without use" will corrode and rust, possibly bind or fuse together. Rubber seals, when they aren't flexed, moved and/or cleaned, will "dry rot" and crack.

It's important to maintain your slide, IMHO, that includes activating the slide to keep rust, corrosion and dirt/contamination from working its way into the mechanism as well as to flex/exercise the slide rubber seals to keep them pliable and prevent them from sticking.

I'd strongly recommend following the manufacturer's advice.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
travelin texans

If you're there they'll be out 24/7 so not much different if you're not there.
If there's a chance for bad weather, heavy snow or lots of wind/rain, while you're not there, I'd pull them in, one less thing to worry about.
To be it's a matter of which way do you feel most comfortable.
One word of caution, DO NOT put supports under the slides, any settling or movement could cause considerable slide damage.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure from your post exactly when you will be vacating the trailer or for how long but it sounds like you will leave it for the summer. In that case, or any other case, if I was leaving it for several months unattended I would bring the slides in. There are many things that could happen with it out (seal leaks etc.) that you would not know about for months. With it in those issues should not be a problem. As far as wear and tear, pulling it in once and letting it sit isn't operating the slides "too much", it's may not be enough IMO. If you choose to leave it out remember that you will need to pay close attention to the slide seals, clean and lube/seal them and inspect the slide roof. The seal tape along the front edge of my big slides started fraying and pulling up so had to reapply new tape. My slides stay out for several months at a time while we winter in FL so they are exposed to the elements as yours would be if you left the slides out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
tpznapod

Thanks for all the quick reply's!!

Just to clarify, We will be using the TT throughout the summer while on our lot, with only about 2-3 weeks in between uses.

Ok, I will just pull it in before leaving for a couple weeks, if for no other reason, then to keep all the components working as they should.

Thanx again!!
Old 12-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #6
Lee

Hum,...

So this brings up an interesting question....

So we are suppose to exercise the slide out 1-2 times a week when on extended trips...

What about for prolonged storage??? My TT goes 4 months in storage this time of year,... should we be exercising the slide 1-2 per week while in winter storage?

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hum,...

So this brings up an interesting question....

So we are suppose to exercise the slide out 1-2 times a week when on extended trips...

What about for prolonged storage??? My TT goes 4 months in storage this time of year,... should we be exercising the slide 1-2 per week while in winter storage?

Lee
Well, that is an interesting question. Maybe look at it this way:

When the slides are IN, the rams, gears, slide tubes are all protected from condensation and rain by the coroplast underbelly. Additionally, when the slides are IN, the seals are protected from UV and don't dry/crack as readily.

When the slides are OUT, the rams, gears, slide tubes are all exposed to the elements (outside the coroplast) and are likely to collect condensation. When that condensation "rolls/drips" down the rams, it enters the gearbox and the underbelly. That "underbelly moisture" can condense on the motor brushes and armature causing corrosion and motor failure. Remember, there's a warning in the Owner's Manual against using oil or silicone to protect the slide metal rams from corrosion and a statement warning that grit/dirt can cause problems with slide movement, so spraying them to prevent rust is not a good idea. Additionally, when the slides are OUT, the seals are exposed to UV and subject to drying/cracking. Like any rubber product, flexing the seals helps to distribute the oils that prevent cracking.

The "idea behind exercising the slides" is a concept to pull them in during extended use, not a concept to push them out during storage..... If you read the owner's manual with the above in mind, it may be clearer and less foggy.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
tpznapod

Thanks John! That was exactly what I was looking for and make total sense. Cause I also was wondering about the storage as well.

Tags
slide