Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Linedog

PDI on a fifth wheel?

We are picking up our new 333MKS in a few weeks and want to ask what we should look for that might be model specific. We have had 3 trailers so are well informed, but will be the first to admit we don't know everything! Any things to look for?
Linedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
KanTC

There's a (non-specific) PDI Checklist on the forum which might be helpful...http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

Of course the hitching & (set-up) leveling process will be slightly different, just take your time.
Not PDI related, but still something to make note of -- 5th wheel may track slightly different when turning (depending on the length) compared to your trailers -AND- remember the HEIGHT difference.

Congrats on your new 5th wheel... happy trails!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #3
Flicdog

Make sure the shower door latch securely holds the doors. Ours did not and and the shower doors broke on the way home from the dealer. Also, see if you can get them to put gas shock supports on the driver's side storage door instead of the plastic latch. The Latch that came with ours was not strong enough to hold the door open and broke twice before I had the shocks installed. No problems since.
Flicdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Linedog

I was planning on replacing them with stainless steel ones.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
omextreme

Congrats on the new trailer, we are also picking up our first 5th wheel in a few weeks so I will keep an eye on this thread.
omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Exsailor

Tires

Please check the tires! The biggest issue with any trailer is TIRES! Look at the dates, RV sales folks will sell you a camper with 2 year old Chinese "may-pop" tires. This can ruin a trip quickly. This sight is full of tire threads. Other wise congrats! Enjoy and go find stuff off the beaten path!

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
dcg9381

2 years old would be a surprise, but Keystone provides tires from China... Want 'em changed, negotiate it up front.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:27 AM   #8
jimbari

Linedog - thanks for asking the question. Good responses so far!
We too are looking at a 5th wheel. Owned a slew of TT but never a 5th wheel, so will follow this thread.
jimbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #9
Linedog

Tire dates is on my list for sure. I don't remember but do tires come with a warranty?
Old 08-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linedog View Post
We are picking up our new 333MKS in a few weeks and want to ask what we should look for that might be model specific. We have had 3 trailers so are well informed, but will be the first to admit we don't know everything! Any things to look for?
Critical point: (We've seen many threads about this over the years.) Make double, double sure that the tech shows you ALL of the dump handles for both black and gray water. Make sure he/she reviews waste water dumping procedures with you. Even though you have had other trailers, that elusive third dump handle seems to be a puzzler for many owners. Know where your tanks are and where the low point and fresh water drains are located.

The location and access to the water pump is important along with winterizing. If your unit has the winterizing valve and suction hose for the antifreeze, know where it is, how to get to it, and how to use it.

Make sure you are comfortable with manual operation of the landing gear and slides before the PDI is completed.

I've owned TT's since the mid-1970's, so when we did the PDI on the Cougar, I asked the tech to allow me to let him know when we came to an item that I was not familiar with. That way he could spend extra time on the new things, and shorten up the time on features that we were already familiar with. Since it was my first rig with slides and my first fiver, we spent a lot of time on those aspects of the PDI and less time on items like the stove and fridge that are identical to the ones in our previous TT.

Probably the only "model specific" items you'll encounter will be the ;exact location of various items throughout the trailer.

There are many other threads on PDI's on here that are worth reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linedog View Post
Tire dates is on my list for sure. I don't remember but do tires come with a warranty?
The tires, like the appliances and many other items in the trailer, should all have full manufacturer's warranties if you are purchasing a new unit. If it is a used trailer more than a year or two old, those warranties have likely expired so it will be caveat emptor all the way.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
Linedog

Thank you all very much, Steve thanks I plan on spending a lot of PDI time there. One thing I just realized I need to check is the dates on the propane tanks.