Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
TandE

2nd AC questions?

Thinking about trading in our current TT to a 326srx and has the option for a second AC unit. Question is could this be put in then the wiring from the breaker be ran on it own cord to plug into its own 15amp circuit on the pedestal? So instead of the coach supplying that breaker power it would be the pedestal?

So my thinking was to disconnect the input power to that breaker from the coach and run new wiring out towards the convenience center with a plug to plug an extension cord into it.

Only reason I ask is a lot of campgrounds around here either don't have 50 amp service or it is overwhelmed. Also heard that some that do have 50 really are not 50 just 30 wired up with a 50 plug. Not sure how true that is.

Is it worth it or dangerous and I should dump the idea?

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:04 AM   #2
cw3jason

What your talking about can be done. Others have done similar things for space heaters. The setup would have a circuit breaker in the mix from the hook up, so your covered there. 2 things can make this unsafe. The Guage wire of your extension cord. Make sure it is of the proper Guage wire. The second is make sure you keep the Male and female connections in tack. Do not install a female plug in the convenience center and then feed it with a double male plug, that could kill you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
bsmith0404

It would work, but not sure what you'll gain. Do the campgrounds have two 30A plugs on the pedestal? If not you wouldn't be able to connect the second AC. For the ones that have 50A service, you could connect to the 50 and 30 plugs, but is there really a need? I've never been to a campground that didn't have enough power to support the 50A service.

The other concern I have, and I'm sure someone else has the expertise to answer this, if you run the power separate how is it connected through the thermostat to control both zones? I know the thermostat is already connected to control both zones separately, but you would have to change that wiring as well to control the 2nd unit on a completely different circuit.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #4
TandE

Thanks for the replies.

The main campground we go to has 2 30 amp outlets but one is for the spot next to us and then two 15 amp ones next to those. I was not planning on using the in wall thermostat just use an AC unit that has it all built in. But if I am not mistaken the thermostat wiring is completely separate from the main power of the unit and is a low voltage so it could still work. At least how my house thermostat is.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Yes the thermostat is low voltage, I'm just not familiar with how it is wired to the AC and temp sensors to control it. If you're not planning to use it, then I guess that's not an issue.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote