Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2023, 02:41 PM   #1
MbFlash

Bathroom sink drains to black tank?

Greetings, I recently purchased a 2022 Hideout 178rb. On its first trip out i was very surprised to find out that my bathroom sink drain was connected to my black tank not my grey tank. Found this out the hard way by filling the black tank in 3 days with only one person using the toilet.
So here is the question: has anyone tried to re-pipe the sink in one of these to route the drain to the grey tank??

I have already changed the kitchen sink from the cheap shallow plastic to a nice deep stainless steel, what a difference, looks and works great.
MbFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 05:07 PM   #2
TXiceman

Leave it connected to the black tank. The gray tank fills first usually and the black tank is usually short on water. There is no harm in it being connected to the black tank. Just remember that at home your sinks are connected to the same sewer line that connects to the toilets. They all have traps to prevent gases and fumes from backing into other areas.

Ken
Old 08-01-2023, 05:30 AM   #3
drrelli

Looking at your layout, I can see why they would simply run the bathroom sink into black tank. (I have a similar issue except with kitchen->black.) We are now aware of this and try to do a better job of balancing hand washing in the bathroom for us, rather than the kitchen. In a year, if it is still an issue for us filling the black too quickly, I will switch the drain from the kitchen to grey, but we have a fairly easy route in our camper through a wall. It looks like you would need to run under the floor, which might be difficult depending on how your tanks fill in the spaces between floor joists. I’d recommend watching and adjusting habits for a bit before committing!!
Old 08-01-2023, 05:56 AM   #4
Pull Toy

I would just leave it, and adjust your usage. You can’t have too much water in your black tank. Usually the problems start when theirs not enough.

Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:25 AM   #5
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I would just leave it, and adjust your usage. You can’t have too much water in your black tank. Usually the problems start when theirs not enough.

Good luck,
This.

The only caveat might be is if the black backed up into the sink. But I'm guessing that you would have many more problems before or if that ever happened.

My bathroom sink and shower are connected to the gray tank. I know its full when the sink burps at me when I'm in the shower. I am unsure of where the sink ties into that tank, but its interesting that i might barely have water standing in the shower when the sink will burp. With the sink at such a higher elevation, you would think it would take more.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:34 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
This.

The only caveat might be is if the black backed up into the sink. But I'm guessing that you would have many more problems before or if that ever happened.

My bathroom sink and shower are connected to the gray tank. I know its full when the sink burps at me when I'm in the shower. I am unsure of where the sink ties into that tank, but its interesting that i might barely have water standing in the shower when the sink will burp. With the sink at such a higher elevation, you would think it would take more.
It's the path of least resistance, the sink is higher so the air has less resistance because the line is essentially empty. Our outside kitchen sink is plumbed into the black tank. It's handy for flushing the tank with hot water and adding about 5 gal of water and Dawn detergent when finished flushing. Beaten standing on flush pedal!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:48 AM   #7
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's the path of least resistance, the sink is higher so the air has less resistance because the line is essentially empty. Our outside kitchen sink is plumbed into the black tank. It's handy for flushing the tank with hot water and adding about 5 gal of water and Dawn detergent when finished flushing. Beaten standing on flush pedal!
Ah ok, I get it now!

Ya I could see that being very handy. Standing on the flush pedal sucks, and the water isn't hot either. Plus I have no clue as to how much water I'm putting down while standing on that pedal.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:01 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Ah ok, I get it now!

Ya I could see that being very handy. Standing on the flush pedal sucks, and the water isn't hot either. Plus I have no clue as to how much water I'm putting down while standing on that pedal.
You can use a flowmeter if you are using a garden hose on the. Camper or if using the fresh water pump you can "guesstimate " using the pumps gpm rating and time. Personally standing on the pedal with my face over the open flap of the toilet isn't my idea of fun.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, drain, sink, tank