Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2015, 01:04 AM   #21
rbev2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoint3 View Post
How do y'all like that whisper a/c? And is anyone using it in areas where the temp is over 95 degrees? We currently have a Laredo and are looking at upgrading to the Alpine. The dual a/c's in the Laredo can really cool it down quick with the dumps open in temperatures around 100 degrees. Just really curious to know if the whisper air can do that.
Like Brent said...the models with more windows will have more challenges. I have a 3535RE and really really wanted dual pane windows. However, when you are looking at closeout deals and saving tons of money, sometimes a sacrifice is made and in this case, I have no dual pane windows. I really have a hard time once camper is over 80 inside of getting below 75/76. However, I have found a pretty good compromise. Early in the morning when the internal temps are 70 or so, I crank the thing down to 68 and by 3-4PM when its well over 90, the inside is 72-73 so basically I try and keep at 70 while camping, put zone 2 (Bedroom on 72 at night so we do not freeze) and crank it all down first thing in the morning. The key is not to try and wait till the thing gets to hot as these are not household heat pump/ac units...I also have vent covers on both vents and travel with fans running which will suck out all the hot air while rolling which helps for immediate setup..good luck!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #22
Scttw

J/K ....

Congrats on the new digs
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #23
Road-King

I also posted this on FB so some of you might have seen it already.

This is just a heads up for anyone experiencing electrical problems in their Alpines. I installed a hard-wired surge protector with monitor in our Alpine soon after we took delivery last year. I also installed one in our in-laws Alpine too. When I did the install, I noticed on both Alpines that the L/R heat pump, the B/R A/C and the M/W were on the same electric leg. I thought that looked strange. Turns out it was strange.

We were in Florida last two weeks with high temps and high humidities. At about 10am every day both A/C's kick on and would run non-stop until the sun went down. With both A/C's on the same leg, our surge protector would kill the power to the camper, then reset and run for a little while then kill the power again. On the surge monitor there were no error notes, but I did notice that leg 2 was showing almost 0 amps and leg 1 would sometimes jump to over 40 amps in use. I knew that both A/C's on the same leg was not a good thing.

On leg 2 was the 20 amp breaker for the washer. We don't have a washer and don't plan on getting one. So I moved the B/R A/C to leg 2 and washer to leg 1. This solved the problems. For the most part....

I still have/had a problem with the L/R A/C and the M/W on leg 1, sometimes tripping the surge protector. So I moved the "General" 110 outlets to leg 2 and moved the GCI outlets to leg 1. I haven't had a chance to see if that helped yet.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #24
billstuart

On our recent 6 week trip to the mid west, we experienced a lot of weather in the 90's & 100's. We have dual pane windows and kept the dark shades down, but in the heat of the day our 2 a/c's would only cool to about 85 degrees. In addition, our refrigerator was in the 40's for most of the trip. Very disappointed in both!
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #25
EVMIII

Bill,

We had a similar problem during our last trip. The rear AC kept B/R very cool, but the front AC was struggling. Talked to a tech at the place we bought the camper and he recommended two things. 1. Clean out the filter 2. Turn the fan to high. Goal was to get as much air circulating as possible. Camper went from 82 to 75 in about 30 minutes. Checked AC air temp coming out of vent and it was 53. I had noticed on Auto that I had very little air coming out of the vent. Had it checked when we returned and all checked out OK. Wish they mentioned this a little earlier.

We love our Alpine, hope you get your concerns worked out.

Sorry to OP, I digress.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #26
billstuart

EVM,

Thanks, I think I have the fan set to "Auto." I'll change it to "High." There is a filter in the bedroom ceiling side of the forward unit. I cleaned it. Are there also filters in the returns in the living room ceiling?

So many of these questions could - and should - be answered by a decent owner's manual.
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 PM   #27
McRod

Glad you like your Alpine. We are considering one atm.

Wife prefers the Montana 3911FB, but I am looking for a more practical solution to pulling the fifth wheel and carrying a motorcycle. The Alpine 3900RE seems to be more practical imo, but it lacks some of the nicer features the Montana has... upgraded mor/ryde suspension/pin box, day/night shades, residential refrig, slide covers, interior detailing, theater seating, smaller holding tanks, arched ceiling, etc... those things definitely are the factors seen in the price difference (about $11k). Those are the specific things that I can compare side by side... not sure if there is any difference in the things that I can not easily see or compare, like the wiring (mentioned in this thread), insulation, chassis/frame, brakes, etc. There is a 500lb carrying capacity difference... not sure if that comes from tires, chassis, or what....

Time will tell, I suppose.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #28
bsmith0404

the carrying capacity most likely is due to the difference in dry weight. Both most likely have the same frame/suspension with the same GVWR. The difference between dry weight and GVWR is the carrying capacity. As for the little differences you're seeing, I'm assuming you're looking at units in stock. The dealer just ordered the Alpine with fewer options to keep the price down. I have most of the items you mentioned in my Alpine and it was still less expensive than the Montana, plus has other items that the Montana does not have like the heat pump.

Holding tanks?? What's that? My wife won't g anywhere without full hookups, so realistically I don't even need holding tanks.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #29
McRod

Yeah, I meant GVWR. The alpine is 15500, the Montana is 16000 on the two models I mentioned.

The differences are from the units I am seeing on RVtrader.com. I agree, I think we can add most of the things we like about the Montana - MCD shades, residential refer, even the Mor/Ryde 4100 suspension. What kind/size of water heater is on the Alpine?
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 AM   #30
rbev2308

I am one of the Montana converts to Alpine. I was dead set on getting a Montana until I realized that I could get an Alpine for 10K or more cheaper and in my opinion, it was a no-brainer. Both are Keystone Luxury units. I have a 12 Gal DSI Hot water heater, day-night shades, love the 2 ac system with heat pump. Have used the heat pump in mid 40's to keep temps around 70 with no issue and using no propane!!! Pin box is easy as you can get dealer to swap just like I swapped and upgraded tires. Residential fridges are an option and they can hold more food than a non-residential one and have the option of using the inverter while traveling and save propane but I think mine is more efficient and easier for anyone in the rv business to work on. As for slide covers that is also an option or a dealer add on. I also have a ceiling fan and as far as the holding tanks, I am glad I have the larger capacity. Gives me more options especially in places if you dry camp. Not like I am going to drive down the road with all the tanks full. I would say find an Alpine with $85K or more MSRP and you will find one basically loaded and then compare. Also, my Alpine has the largest outside storage compartment of any fifth wheel I looked at over a one year period before I purchased. On my current trip to Anchor Down on the outskirts of the Smoky Mountains, I have two tubs for my water and septic hook up, a six foot folding table, my smoker, 2 full size folding bikes in a bag, my outdoor mat, 2 huge gravity free chairs, 6 folding chairs, portable air compressor, fishing stuff, small outside table and two additional storage tubs and I could easily put more in. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the Montana's. I just think from my personal opinion, my Alpine has more to offer and saved me enough money I could have bought a loaded pop up with the difference!!! Go to Keystone website and look at the brochures on each and you will see they are very similar for the most part!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:34 AM   #31
bsmith0404

12 gal WH on mine as well. Mine was on the lot with just a standard pin box, the Alpine next to it had a trailair, the dealer swapped them as part of the deal. As for the suspension, the standard suspension is very good with grease zirks at every pivot point. It rides great and I don't see a need to change it, but the MorRyde 4100 should be able to be added. With the heat pump and fireplace we have camped comfortably in ours down to 37 degrees without using propane.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #32
Alpine

With some mention of cooling your RV in the hotter outside temps...here are a couple of thing I am doing! As we all understand cooling settles and heat rises. So for cooling I have put the magnetic floor vent covers on all of my heat vents to not allow the cool air to fill the furnace duct work that is under the floor. And have also made covers for the two large vents in the stairs leading up to the bath and bedroom. These vents are for the furnace, and are open to the huge basement area that I don't need to waste cool air.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:38 AM   #33
rbev2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
With some mention of cooling your RV in the hotter outside temps...here are a couple of thing I am doing! As we all understand cooling settles and heat rises. So for cooling I have put the magnetic floor vent covers on all of my heat vents to not allow the cool air to fill the furnace duct work that is under the floor. And have also made covers for the two large vents in the stairs leading up to the bath and bedroom. These vents are for the furnace, and are open to the huge basement area that I don't need to waste cool air.
Sounds like a great idea...any pics or links to what you got would be appreciated..especially the stairs mod covers.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #34
Road-King

I did the same as Jeff on my stairs. I just used two pieces of cardboard cut to size to fit behind the screw on vent covers on the steps. Can't even tell they are there.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #35
StacyB

Frig Noise

I guess the quiet ac is too quiet, now all I hear is the refrigerator. Anyone else having that issue? I've read a lot of reasons, just getting some ideas from my fellow Alpine owners.
2015 F-350 Platinum
Tank the Lab
Speedy spastic Yorkie
StacyB is offline   Reply With Quote