Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
ocho

Towing BEHIND a Toy Hauler

Has anyone given thought to or actually set up a receiver hitch behind their TH to tow a small trailer or Jet Ski? Im assuming it would need to be a weld on custom fabricated receiver. Perhaps build up the welded area with steel doublers? The I-beam that run the length of these things is very substantial.

Love to hear yalls thoughts!!
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
SJBrooks

Ocho,

I've done this with both toyhaulers I've had (incl the one I still have). Yes, the welding shop that installed the hitch receiver had to add bracing and modify the stock bumper for it to fit. I've towed a flat aluminum trailer with two ATVs on it many miles behind my toyhaulers without a problem.

Steve
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
ocho

Thanks. I posted a response to this already, but it didn't appear. If it does later then this will be a repeat. Anyhoo, what I was saying was, I think you'd have to account for the GCVWR of the tow vehicle. Also, for the weight allowances for the garage. If the "extra trailer" was hitched up, and the this trailer was loaded tongue heavy, it would add weight to the garage. The opposite if it was loaded light in the tongue. I would imagine it would be minimal, but something to consider.

Any other limitations to consider?
ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Think this is not legal in most States, only one tow behind TV. If I recall there is at least one thread out there addressing the topic
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocho View Post
Has anyone given thought to or actually set up a receiver hitch behind their TH to tow a small trailer or Jet Ski? Im assuming it would need to be a weld on custom fabricated receiver. Perhaps build up the welded area with steel doublers? The I-beam that run the length of these things is very substantial.

Love to hear yalls thoughts!!
This is my setup behind my (piece of junk now gone) Weekend Warrior...

71' bumper to bumper. Towed EXCELLENT... Very stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Think this is not legal in most States, only one tow behind TV. If I recall there is at least one thread out there addressing the topic
I think you have it backwards. It is legal in most places and disallowed in a few.

To the original poster -> Rather than rely upon us, check with your local regulations for the places you intend to drive. Reciprocity works based upon a 'grant of use' (license to drive), but NOT on equipment specific to that grant of use.... EXAMPLE... you can drive in State B because you have a license from State A, but just because you are legal to 75' in your home state doesn't mean you can 'drive' through other states which limit you to 65'.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
This is my setup behind my (piece of junk now gone) Weekend Warrior...

71' bumper to bumper. Towed EXCELLENT... Very stable.

I think you have it backwards. It is legal in most places and disallowed in a few.

To the original poster -> Rather than rely upon us, check with your local regulations for the places you intend to drive. Reciprocity works based upon a 'grant of use' (license to drive), but NOT on equipment specific to that grant of use.... EXAMPLE... you can drive in State B because you have a license from State A, but just because you are legal to 75' in your home state doesn't mean you can 'drive' through other states which limit you to 65'.
Looks like about 50/50 in regard to being law, did not really count

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/towinglaws.htm

Example: In OK. If I read this table correctly with two vehicles max length is 65' and yes triple tow is legal in your state but max length is 41'. Looks like ski trailer may need a diet

But like you mentioned need to check with state(s) for latest laws.

Also states max trailer length 40' I know just recently CA increased their Legal length think to 45'

Hope this helps

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Looks like about 50/50 in regard to being law, did not really count

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/towinglaws.htm

Example: In OK. If I read this table correctly with two vehicles max length is 65' and yes triple tow is legal in your state but max length is 41'. Looks like ski trailer may need a diet

But like you mentioned need to check with state(s) for latest laws.

Also states max trailer length 40' I know just recently CA increased their Legal length think to 45'

Hope this helps
Those "consolidated" websites are notoriously inaccurate... I suggest ANYONE check the local laws - and simply avoid those all-in-one-less-than-accurate places.

And.....41 is not a max length... 41 is the footnote number for the "not specified" length. Perhaps some additional studying is in order before offering advice?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thanks, stand corrected

"The combined length of the tow vehicle and trailer cannot be more than 65 feet. Triple towing is permitted if it does not exceed the maximum combined length."

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Thanks, stand corrected

"The combined length of the tow vehicle and trailer cannot be more than 65 feet. Triple towing is permitted if it does not exceed the maximum combined length."
Yeah.. I admit, I'm over length in that pic at 71 feet. I'm ok with that. And that was with a 37' toy hauler... Now with the Avalanche (40'), I'm prolly close to 75' bumper to bumper.

I pretty much only tow tandem locally... I have family that wants me to bring the skis to Texas for a lake weekend. I am not comfortable doing that...

A) if in OK I get told to drop the trailer, it's not that big of a deal - I'm close to home
B) in OK, we check nothing regarding equipment.... we don't even have safety inspections. State trooper is simply not interested in me.

YMMV regarding your own location. Be respectful, be safe, and keep a cool head everyone
Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Thanks, stand corrected

Oh and BTW.... I didn't mean to cut you off when saying "research.... blah blah... advice".

I just mean that in general and was not trying to be rude to you.

There's just a lot of information out that that is incorrect -- or can be interpreted in a manner different than in the spirit of the law.

I think NO ONE should trust me!! LOL... I only wish to share experience and have them do their own research.

Knowing WHERE to look and WHAT to look for is more valuable than just someone giving the answer on important/specific things such as this subject matter.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #11
Drew Waller

2nd Tow

I did that a few years ago! But not all states will allow a double hitch! All the states I went thru had a 65 feet rule on the overall length. Some states it's shorter. That may have changed now because the Semi's have 53 feet trailers. Best thing to do is call Highway Patrol in the states your going to go through and ask about double hitching and overall length rules! I had had no problems with mine at 64.5 feet.

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
zrxfishing

I ran into length issues & not being legal in my state so I built a system to put the boat, motor & trailer on top of my van & pull the camper behind me. Works great! other than the tons of finger pointing & pictures being taken I forget it's up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
jje1960

Well Done

Well, while I would never do the dual tow routine, I've seen many do it. I just can't seem to bring myself to put myself in a situation where I can't react to situations that require backing up and altering original route without major hassle or complete impossibility. Very cool being able to bring all your toys though!!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
Hoojs12840

Commercially interstates are covered under the Surface Transportation Act. No state can restrict interstate travel min. length and width. However all RV's regardless of size/weight air brakes are not are not in anyway regulated by the Federal Govt with regards to where the can operate. (Exception being on govt property i.e. national parks.)

That leaves you states, which basically don't spend much if any effort on the matter or enforcement. At this point it's been left to common sense.

Here's MD's which if you read it based on my truck and 5th wheel you can interpret two ways.

1. I DON'T need a special license as my GCVWR is under 26k

2. I need it as my trailer is over 10,000.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/_resourc...trip-Guide.pdf

Either way I have a commercial class A with triples/tanker/hazmat so its moot for me and in all my years I have never seen MD DOT stop a RV.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
Hoojs12840

I would encourage anyone with a large trailer or motorhome to take a community college truck driving course and obtain the lic. you learn some things and I get a insurance discount and if I ever flip out at my desk job I can go back to a 60k a year driving job.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
zrxfishing

Here's a pic

Old 04-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #17
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxfishing View Post

Here's a pic

Wow. Now I've seen everything. Last year I saw a motorhome towing a stacked trailer with an SUV on the bottom & boat on top.

Very clever. How do you get that up there?

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
Wow. Now I've seen everything. Last year I saw a motorhome towing a stacked trailer with an SUV on the bottom & boat on top.

Very clever. How do you get that up there?
Interesting if can not dual tow then dual stack. Makes sense to me

Question: How far do you have to drive into water to get boat launched

When you think you have seen it all. THINK AGAIN.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
zrxfishing

I made a front mount winch set up & ramps with supports for the back. The winch cable pulls it up the ramps & onto the roof where the trailer has a positive stop on the platform I made & then I strap it all down. I put the winch in reverse & push it backwards till the tires hit the ramp & then let the winch handle the weight to lower it. I'll have to look to find the pics of that. Sorry, not trying to hi jack this post. Just trying to give another option!

Old 04-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
jje1960

Speechless

I'm actually speechless with this picture of the van with the boat on it.... I'd just love to hear how that AAA distress call goes.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote