Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2023, 04:21 PM   #1
GoingPlaces

Canada Bound

We are considering taking our trailer into Canada this summer. Staying 10 days then back to the States. Probably entering in Washington and returning in Montana. We want to visit Banff and Calgary.

Has anyone taken a trailer (or RV for that matter) to Canada recently? I've read some documentation, but I'm still somewhat confused about what I can take in food and drink wise and how much I can return with.
Are the amounts stated in the Canadian documentation per person or per vehicle?
Sounds like Alcohol is very expense there. How about food cost? I understand gasoline is spendy also. If I'm not allowed to take food across the border, I'd need to do some shopping up there. Same for coming back. It's not like shopping is all that terrible but if I can do most of it before we leave home that's a bonus. I'd hate to have to throw food out because it was not packaged correctly. Or pay duty on essential liquids.

Any input would be appreciated!!
Old 12-11-2023, 05:14 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

We pass through Canada several times a year, every year (except during covid). We bring alcohol, food and my cigars and never have issues. Don’t bring a Bowie knife, pepper spray or firearms or anything else weapon-like.

They typically ask where you are from, where you are going, how long you will be in Canada and if you have weapons, alcohol or tobacco products.

I am always truthful and tell them I have 4-5 750ml bottles of hard liquor, a couple of cases of beer, and 15-20 fine cigars, all for personal consumption and nothing will be gifted or left in Canada. I have never brought houseplants or firewood over the border and I have never had to throw anything out to avoid breaking any law. Coming back is the reverse, and equally uneventful.

Food costs are not excessive, or unusual. Fuel cost are quite a bit higher though, but shop around for a better deal (I use Gas Buddy). Lastly, use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees like Capital One, American Express, Discover or many other higher tier travel reward cards. You pay the Canadian price in Canadian dollars at the time of purchase, but the card companies convert to US dollars on your statement. This past summer the exchange rate was 75% (currently 74%) meaning that $1 Canadian is $.74 or $.75 US. In other words, your US money goes further in Canada
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:19 AM   #3
notanlines

We have traveled extensively throughout Canada, 5 weeks just this past summer. Fuel prices were slightly higher until we reached Goose Bay, Labrador at which point they were about 40% higher. Food prices were only moderately higher all across Ontario and Quebec, however restaurant prices were considerably higher.
I will say that liquor prices are so high that they will drive you to drink. Beer prices were about 30 to 50% higher if I remember correctly.
Start with this website and decide for yourself what to bring. https://inspection.canada.ca/food-sa.../1389630282362
https://www.consumersbeverages.com/n...L%20(52.7%20oz.)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:33 AM   #4
GoingPlaces

Thanks,

The link to Consumers clears it up a bit. I was trying to determine if the limits on beer wine and liquor are "or" as in I can bring limits of beer or wine. Or if it was "and" as in you can bring those limits of beer and liquor. So, it looks like it is an "or".

I assume those limits are per person.

Another question I have is we often buy larger quantities of meat e.g. burger or chicken and break it down into separate vacuum sealed bags and freeze them.

Does that work? Sounds like all meat products need to be labelled Product of USA.

I don't want to be surprised at the border.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:58 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Don’t over think it, just don’t.

A little knowledge is a good thing, but can also cause stress and anxiety for no reason at all. In over 40 years, no one has ever opened my refrigerator to see if my food was labeled correctly, nor has anyone counted my liquor bottles or beer cans or cigars.

Our friends in Canada don’t want weapons or illegals and that is their focus. I would make sure that you don’t have a criminal conviction or DWI
Old 12-12-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
GoingPlaces

I get 100% of what you are saying. But the part of our trip that would be in Canada is only 1/4 of our total trip and near the beginning. In other words, we could be very well stocked up on food and "supplies".

My criminal days are over so that won't be an issue
Old 12-28-2023, 08:23 AM   #7
algrande

pass on the banff part, just a tourist trap.
Go to SW Alberta or SE BC. Way nicer and no federal parks. I have lived in Calgary all my life.
algrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:43 AM   #8
captainbillyw69

Canada travel

Our only issue has been on the return to the US. We have had produce from the US seized and boxes of packaged foods seized. Our grandsons wood walking stick was seized. The rules seem capricious and the agents are zealous.
captainbillyw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:53 AM   #9
GoingPlaces

Thanks for this info! I like the "local" point of view.

Any places in particular that you would recommend? How about places to absolutely avoid?

What's Calgary like to visit? Would you recommend it or pass on it like Banff?

We basically like beautiful scenery, some moderate hiking and outdoor adventures, and good eats. It's always good to avoid the tourist mobs, when possible, in my book. We will probably miss going to Glacier Nation Park for the same reason.

We thought Banff would be fairy touristy. We weren't planning on the Banff or Jasper National parks; seems they were farther north than we had time for. We are still in the planning phase we have only made minimal reservations so far. So, making adjustments are easy.
Old 12-28-2023, 02:49 PM   #10
Dennis Booker

Alberta Canada

Just a suggestion if you coming up to visit Banff National Park it is well worth the time to visit Waterton / Glacier Peace Park on the southern border as well, Enjoy Canada.
Dennis Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:51 PM   #11
Badbart56

I have crossed the border countless times in a commercial truck but never an RV. However, my Dad did about 30 years ago and although he knew not to bring any firearms, he neglected to remove some shotgun shells from the storage compartment behind the fifth wheel hitch. Oh boy! He said he was there for about three hours while they searched everything.

Fortunately all it cost him was his time (and the shells)!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 07:01 PM   #12
flookk

Greetings

Greetings Going Places:
Entering through Washington State, looping through Banff/Calgary and returning through Montana sounds like an awesome trip! There is some fabulous scenery on that route.

Might I suggest adding Jasper, Lake Louise, Canmore and Kananaskis to your list of places to visit enroute to Banff/Calgary. Just a heads up both the towns of Banff and Jasper are located right in the National Parks. Once you start heading home if you go straight south from Calgary East Glacier Park is awesome country.

I wouldn't worry about what groceries and liquor etc you are bringing. At most you might have to pay some duty if you are over the limit (it's all about taxes up here). As others have pointed out you will have more trouble crossing back into the U.S. with various goods even if it originated in the States; citrus is a good example. US customs has always seized my oranges even though it all comes from Florida/California.

Leave your Bear spray, pepper spray and hand guns at home. There are ways to bring rifles in as many of your countrymen come up here regularly to hunt but I think there is a mountain of paperwork involved in that.

Your U.S. dollar will go a long way up here. Sounds like an awesome trip. Wish I was coming along!

May you enjoy safe travels on dry pavement.
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 04:45 AM   #13
Alibaddy

Just a quick note about fuel prices. Remember that the U.S. gallon is 3.785 liters, and all Canadian fuel is sold by the liter. I live in southern Ontario, and I think that by the time you compare the U.S. price per liter, and the value of your dollar, any difference in the cost will be minimal.
Alibaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 04:58 AM   #14
NH_Bulldog

The current cost difference factoring in liters vs gallons and the exchange rate puts the cost of gas difference at about $.80 per gallon. So for every 100 gallons of gas, you are spending $80 more when you are North of the border. Regional differences can decrease or increase the difference but it isn’t a deal breaker for us. We are in and out of Canada multiple times a year during camping season and some years spend weeks at a time.

As I mentioned previously, informed is good, but don’t over think it.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
Old 12-29-2023, 09:20 AM   #15
BPOP

If you are in Jasper and headed east toward Banff the Ice Fields are worth a visit!
BPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 09:46 AM   #16
Shedboy

Have had many of same experiences as already posted mainly on west coast entry points.

1. Once my wife absent minded carried a lipstick sized pepper spray in her purse resulting in $300 US dollar fine (our entire cash hoard), was in custody 3+ hours, wife in tears, we turned around and stayed in USA. Many of the points of interest are beautiful and don't have the crowds but there are a lot of beautiful places in the USA northern states as well.
2. Traveling across the Canadian plains (Saskatchewan & Alberta) is boring wheat fields, stay in the USA, lots to see in Dakota's & Montana (Custer's Last Stand, buffalo, Devils Tower, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park etc.

2. Consider carrying 5 gal cans of USA fuel.
3. If you venture to the far north, beer can be used as a trading medium (just what the authorities don't want).
There are small boarder crossings in Montana (Browning), WA State at (Blain) that are somewhat relaxed compared to Interstate Highway crossings.
4. Consider going to the USA west coast, take a ferryboat to Vancouver BC from Tsawwassen WA or to Victoria BC there are many ferry routes and vendors to choose from, lots of beautiful things to see and do.

If you are adventurous and have the time, drive the Victoria Island east coast hwy, visit Buchart Gardens,to Alert Bay take the BC Ferry to Skagway/Haines AK, USA or Rupert CA. may see Killer Whales on any of the ferry crossings, dolphins in the ferry bow wave are common, may see rare birds, Tufted Puffin, Golden Eagle, American Eagle, bring binoculars.
Be sure to check route for tunnel clearances, some routes have 12 ft restrictions (Glacier National Park).
Happy Trails!, wish I was there!
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 10:23 AM   #17
peanut

Interesting thread and I will be keeping an eye on it. Not intending to hijack this but am interested because we are planning a trip to New Brunswick/Nova Scotia this spring (arriving mid-May). Will enter from Maine then travel west thru Quebec/Ontario and probably re-enter the US at Sault Ste Marie and visit the Upper Peninsula Michigan.

I am expecting most of the advice given for Western Canada will also apply to Eastern Canada.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:55 AM   #18
Shedboy

1. There are 2 border crossings in Blain, WA, the eastern one on WA State HWY 543 is preferable to the I5 crossing.

2. Lower your RV insurance deductible to cover broken windshield. There are a lot of semi's kicking up gravel and rocks. Consider wire mesh headlight protectors and radiator shield. Be sure your insurance is valid in Canada.

3. Be sure your tires are in good condition, carry 2 spares and repair/inflator kit. Take 2 short length 2x10 plank to set the tire jack on, the roadside gravel can be very soft, may have to jack up both sides to get out.

4. Other things to see and do in USA near the Western Canadian Border -

1. Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monument

2. Buffalo Jump
3. Jewel Cave, one of the largest natural caves in the USA, far reaches remain unexplored.
4. Teton National Park

5. Things to see in British Columbia

Plan your trip when the salmon are running in early spring. It will be rainy season but worth the discomfort. Be knowledge of black bear behaviors and encounters, they are hungry after winter hibernation and the salmon are easy eats. There will be many large birds and seals at the river mouths enjoying the return of the salmon.

Capilano suspension bridge - touristy but fun

Little known Hunlen Falls in Tweedsmuir Provincial Park, one of the highest water falls in the Western Hemisphere @ 800+ ft, a lot of the water turns into clouds before it coalesces at the Atnarko River. It's a 2 day round trip hike for experienced outdoors people or rent a float plane to see it in a couple of hours.

Take a gold pan, be careful to stay off of private property.
Get a Canadian Fishing License

Take an inflatable canoe/raft. Be sure that you have a way to get back to the RV. (bicycle or one person stays w RV to pick you up), the raft can double as an umbrella.
Take appropriate water resistant footwear

Before leaving home - Read enjoyable fiction/adventure books by Canadian Authors Farley Mowat and Robert Service, USA authors Jack London and James Mitchner (ALASKA). It will increase your experience.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:03 AM   #19
GoingPlaces

Thanks, excellent list of things to do and see. I'll have to check all of them out.

Two years ago, we went on a three-week trip from Portland Oregon through Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. We stopped at many of the places that were recommended to see here in the States. Plus a few more. I'll agree most were well worth the visit.

We have been to Canada multiple times, just not pulling a travel trailer. Last year we went to Vancouver for 4 days, good place to visit. We've been up to Victoria BC. Took the Ferry from Port Angeles and spent a short week there. The Buchart Gardens were very nice. Never really had an issue with customs, granted we were in a car and not taking many provisions. We did have our bag of almonds (grown in California purchased in Oregon) confiscated when coming back home to the US. Weird but true.

This year the thought was to spend some time up Banff way. We'd be coming from Chelan WA area; I don't know yet where we would cross.

We often hear "You gotta' see Banff", so when I hear that a lot, I think wow lots a folks going there. I like to go to places to see the places not the other folks that go to see the places.

The Canada part of our trip will only be about a third to quarter of our total trip so we will only have about 7 days in the Great White North. Maybe we are trying to cram too much into that time frame.

Looks like route 93 is the way from Banff to Jasper. What is the drive like, time, gasoline, and condition wise?

The ice fields sound interesting, how far are they from 93?

I believe we would come back to the US via Calgary, Lake Louise, Canmore and Kananaskis, anything in particular to see in those areas?

Is the Waterton / Glacier Peace Park different than Glacier National Park in the US?

I like the panning for gold idea, I did that in Alaska and struck it rich, I found about $5 worth of gold. I was hoping to pay for our trip, maybe this time will be better!!!
Old 01-02-2024, 11:00 AM   #20
Shedboy

not pulling a travel trailer

Plan your journey around the weather - at the higher elevations there can be ice on the less traveled roads, in tunnels and areas shaded by the forest trees. Regionally called "black ice" because it is transparent and invisible. High wind in the mountain passes can make it an exciting journey, if you chance it, be sure to have roadside assistance insurance.

Visit the Waterton / Glacier Peace Park different than Glacier National Park in the US?
The parks are not the same, I have not been to Waterton. Glacier has some steep roads, be sure your trailer brakes are properly adjusted, be mindful of black bear protocols they know how to open locked cars that have food inside. There was one time when a Buffalo (animals have the right-away) took a nap on the warm asphalt highway, blocked traffic in both directions for 2+ hours. Moose can do the same. Also, in the lower elevations the small highways are used to drive cattle, probably not a problem until spring grazing season. Expect unplanned delays.

Re: Route- If traveling north in BC - Frasier Valley (AlCan) Highway is scenic with lots of lakes, good highway, will inflict minimum damage to vehicles. Good idea to not drive at night, lots of critters.

RE Inflatable Kayaks:

1. Take one or more leak repair kits
2. Two ways to go:
a. get 2 cheap (Sevelor) kayaks, pack one in the the other, when the other is damaged beyond repair, discard it and use the spare.
b. get one high-end (Eagle) inflatable
c. if you are going to pack-in take the lighter Sevelors with a friend.

d. if you use a float plane, take the Eagle
e. If you prefer quiet water (lakes), take a large collapsible box kite with parachute cord, use for a sail, make sure the wind is blowing in the direction you want to go and that you have a way back to starting point.
f. Make arrangements to purchase equipment in Oregon, no sales tax.
Purchase RV (backpacker) friendly small sluice box manufactured by Keene in OR. The spring snow melt water is cold, be prepared.

If adventurous and have kayaks and time, explore inter-island "canoe trails" (routes) in the Gulf Islands (between Vancouver Island and BC mainland). I am a world traveler and have not come across an area as beautiful as this. Be knowledgeable regarging treacherous Surge Narrows. If in open water, be mindful of large wakes from fishing boats and whales. Wear appropriate life preservers. Again, this is an area frequented by Orca's, Bluga White Whales (rare) seasonal migration of California Grey Whales (They can be scary big but are curious and so-far gentle. Check the timing for the Grey Whales, the others are residents.

Oddities in this area are the town of Bella-Bella can only be reached by boat, Seward, AK half the town is in the USA and half in CN, the Klondike Trail (1849 Gold Rush), the Whitehorse/Yukon Railroad, and lots of Totem Poles. The afore mentioned books will enhance your visit. Roberts Point, not far from the USA Boarder, is a USA Military Base accessible only from Canada with USA military ID card.
The Natural History Museum in Chicago has a "First People's" (Eskimo) Exhibit that is the finest in the world. The Eskimo's were the original environmentalist, nearly all of their artifacts were made of natural materials and have returned to the earth.

Happy Trails!