Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2024, 06:24 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don77 View Post
If I would have stayed in the POT capital of the state (Calaveras County) I would be dead or in jail!!!

Don
Humbolt county holds that title now.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:25 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

While some of the things that Cali enacts don't seem to consider the average citizen, sadly, their lead is often followed by quite a few other states. Fortunately Texas isn't on of them and hence the high number of folks from those states showing up in Texas and Florida.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 02:55 AM   #23
jasin1

I guess it will drive up the price of used vehicles and you will see many more sketchy vehicles on the road that would have been replaced with new ….gonna be odd to see a 2010 toyota corolla overtaking a 2027 Porsche 911 on the highway.

Off course they said there will be exceptions given to emergency vehicles and

“the commissioner may,in the commissioner’s discretion,authorize the disabling of an intelligent speed limiter system in any vehicle if, based on the specialized usage of the vehicle,the disabling of the system is reasonable,practical,and would not pose a risk to public safety”

I’m sure the wealthy folks in California will figure a way around this….but the rest of the population will be creeping along in backups..the next bill will be to increase public transportation to relieve the traffic congestion.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:07 AM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I guess it will drive up the price of used vehicles and you will see many more sketchy vehicles on the road that would have been replaced with new ….gonna be odd to see a 2010 toyota corolla overtaking a 2027 Porsche 911 on the highway.

“the commissioner may,in the commissioner’s discretion,authorize the disabling of an intelligent speed limiter system in any vehicle if, based on the specialized usage of the vehicle,the disabling of the system is reasonable,practical,and would not pose a risk to public safety”

I’m sure the wealthy folks in California will figure a way around this….but the rest of the population will be creeping along in backups..the next bill will be to increase public transportation to relieve the traffic congestion.
It’s called the bullet train. L.A. to S.F.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...g-newsom-biden

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:22 AM   #25
Badbart56

Quote:

You're not getting it. Except for those willing to drive like idiots, of which there are many, (we see them every day) you're still going to be behind the slow one in front of you regardless of whether your vehicle is exempt. It's called "control". Newsome and company like that word.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:08 AM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
You're not getting it. Except for those willing to drive like idiots, of which there are many, (we see them every day) you're still going to be behind the slow one in front of you regardless of whether your vehicle is exempt. It's called "control". Newsome and company like that word.
I do get it but across the country they are putting in toll express lanes like here in MD we also have HOV lanes so it isn’t a stretch to imagine people getting around the poor folk to get where they want to go they will just raise the speed limit for express lanes, charge a higher rate per mile and ban any semis from using them and voila you have a way around it for the wealthy…not a perfect workaround but there are always helicopters for that lol

There are a lot of “important” people in California I see their posts on instagram and YouTube all the time lol

Really seems the answer is a huge fine for anyone impeding the flow of traffic Whether it’s two cars side by side or two semis
Old 01-29-2024, 05:20 AM   #27
GlasNav

I don't embrace any of this mess. However, if side panel / door reinforcement becomes a thing, simply take some of NASCARs tech which is foam filled side panels which provide considerable protection to the driver during side impacts.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:42 PM   #28
Badbart56

Quote:
I do get it but across the country they are putting in toll express lanes like here in MD we also have HOV lanes so it isn’t a stretch to imagine people getting around the poor folk to get where they want to go they will just raise the speed limit for express lanes, chargre less LEO'se a higher rate per mile and ban any semis from using them and voila you have a way around it for the wealthy…not a perfect workaround but there are always helicopters for that lol

There are a lot of “important” people in California I see their posts on instagram and YouTube all the time lol

Really seems the answer is a huge fine for anyone impeding the flow of traffic Whether it’s two cars side by side or two semis
Yeah, but that's only available in metro areas Jasin, I'm looking at the big picture on the rural interstates. And as it stands now, there is no LEO's spending any time on lane enforcement. The fact is there are less and less LEO's all across the country, be it traffic control or otherwise. My pet peeve is the middle lane campers that don't even maintain the speed limit. The LEO's I see doing anything are speed enforcement DOT inspections on trucks. That's where the big revenue is.

2010 FZ 405

Old 01-30-2024, 10:04 AM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

No political posts please.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:53 AM   #30
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
From Yahoo news this AM:

"The measure, California Senate Bill 961, would require every passenger vehicle, truck and bus manufactured or sold in California to have speed governors starting in 2027. The devices would use GPS technology or cameras to verify the speed limit in a particular area and slow a speeding vehicle down if it approaches 10 mph over the limit."
(
Just buy vehicle from another state. Seems easy enough.

A quick search does not show many vehicle manufacturers from California either.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:10 AM   #31
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post

A quick search does not show many vehicle manufacturers from California either.
And then proceed to get behind all the other regulated vehicles that clog the interstates and prohibit you from being able to pass.....

So what did you gain?

2010 FZ 405

Old 02-02-2024, 10:45 AM   #32
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
On the contrary, this is the same lever they always use. Unless a car manufacturer wants to surrender CA as a market completely, they end up building all the cars that go anywhere in the country to CA standards. It's too costly to have a separate assembly line just for "CA cars."
Old 02-02-2024, 10:46 AM   #33
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
And then proceed to get behind all the other regulated vehicles that clog the interstates and prohibit you from being able to pass.....

So what did you gain?
When you finally emigrate to TX or FL, you can get there faster than 55 MPH!
Old 02-02-2024, 04:25 PM   #34
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
When you finally emigrate to TX or FL, you can get there faster than 55 MPH!
Valid point!

2010 FZ 405

Old 02-08-2024, 11:34 AM   #35
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The bill was introduced in the California Senate by Senator Wiener on January 23,2024. It still requires approval in the CA senate and I believe the house, then it could be signed by the governor and become law....

It scary part, for me, is not the "intelligent speed limiter" requirement in section 1, but the requirement to have "side reinforcement on all vehicles with a GVWR greater than 10K. That part of his proposal has no "implementation date for new vehicles" but the way it's written, is required on ALL vehicles manufactured, sold or registered in California. From the looks of the way it's written, it would require a significant weight addition to reinforce to meet the requirement: If I'm reading it correctly, when it comes time to reregister a one ton dually, you would need to modify it with this side reinforcement before you can register the truck. There is no "manufactured or sold after 2027" clause on section two.... ?????

"(1) Is able to provide vehicle crash protection for a midsize car to prevent the intrusion of the occupant survival space when struck at any location and from any angle ay any speed up to 40 miles per hour."

You can read the entire "proposed legislation" here: https://legiscan.com/CA/text/SB961/2023
Not sure of the need to reinforce the sides. I am of the opinion that “he with the most lug nuts wins”.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:57 PM   #36
msubobcats

Formerly from Plumas County in cali..

So grateful to have left in late 2017. Now loving it in Northern Idaho...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:19 PM   #37
oldnjrver

Moved back to USA after having lived in Europe for a while and was told that I could not import my European made vehicle, because it lacked side protection structure in the door frames.

Classic government overreach in California.. NJ will be next..
Safe travels and all the best.
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:54 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Not sure of the need to reinforce the sides. I am of the opinion that “he with the most lug nuts wins”.
Yep, but if enacted as written, it's going to impact our 8 lug trucks and 8 lug trailers just like those "with the most lug nuts"...

I can see the need for side rails/reinforcements on larger trucks that sit much higher than a typical automobile. Having them on 18 wheelers will save lives. You can see the results of what can happen in these photos....

My concern with the proposal as written (and I have no dog in this hunt) is the proposal reads, "Every motortruck, trailer, or semitrailer, having a gross vehicle weight rating exceeding 10,000 pounds,".....

That means side rail reinforcements on every 3/4 ton pickup and every travel trailer/fifth wheel with a GVWR greater than 10K. Can you imagine the weight increase imposed on adding that type system to a 1 ton diesel F350 towing a 15K fifth wheel or even a 10K travel trailer ?????

This is just my opinion, but it looks like a way to "sneak a prohibition to RV'ers in the back door".. If enacted and inforced as written, it will prevent any RV'er with a fifth wheel longer than about 35' from operating their rig in California.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	46183   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	46184   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	46185   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	46186  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:39 PM   #39
firestation12

Quote:
Yep, but if enacted as written, it's going to impact our 8 lug trucks and 8 lug trailers just like those "with the most lug nuts"...

I can see the need for side rails/reinforcements on larger trucks that sit much higher than a typical automobile. Having them on 18 wheelers will save lives. You can see the results of what can happen in these photos....

My concern with the proposal as written (and I have no dog in this hunt) is the proposal reads, "Every motortruck, trailer, or semitrailer, having a gross vehicle weight rating exceeding 10,000 pounds,".....

That means side rail reinforcements on every 3/4 ton pickup and every travel trailer/fifth wheel with a GVWR greater than 10K. Can you imagine the weight increase imposed on adding that type system to a 1 ton diesel F350 towing a 15K fifth wheel or even a 10K travel trailer ?????

This is just my opinion, but it looks like a way to "sneak a prohibition to RV'ers in the back door".. If enacted and inforced as written, it will prevent any RV'er with a fifth wheel longer than about 35' from operating their rig in California.
Looks like the guy with the most lug nuts won in all the photos provided. Will trains be required to meet the new standard? Just kidding.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:50 PM   #40
LHaven

Quote:
They didn't even need to ask me nicely.

I've RVed in California exactly once this century, and then only because the mandatory training was being held in San Diego. I'm about 80 miles from the border, and I'd no sooner cross it than Cuba's. And this sort of thing is precisely why. Last thing I need to do with my life is voluntarily seek even more oppression than what finds me on its own.