Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2023, 08:51 AM   #1
Bill abrams

Repair estimate

My daughter purchased a used keystone passport 23. We live in NY. She traveled to Texas to work for 2 months and then she goes on to Arizona next. When she arrived in Texas her boyfriend hooked a hose up to the fresh water flush ( he said it was dark) by mistake and they turned on the water and left for 4 hours. When they came back water was gushing out of the sides of the trailer and when they opened the door there were several inches of water on the floor. I have photos of the damage but I can’t seem to get anyone around Houston to give me an estimate. they all claim to be too busy. I need an estimate for my insurance company. Is anyone aware of a reputable repair place that will provide me a fair estimate based upon the photos? They most likely won’t be doing the repairs as she is continuing to travel and just putting up with the soft floor. TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image000005.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	45924   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000004.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	45925   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000000.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	45926   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000001.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	45927   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000002.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	45928  

Bill abrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:54 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know about any place that will do that but I would suspect it's going to be hard to find someone to give an estimate on something like that without being able to physically see and test the wood for damage/water penetration.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:49 AM   #3
Bill abrams

I just posted photos. The damage is pretty clear. Thank you
Old 12-28-2023, 10:29 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If the black tank had any waste in it, I don’t know of any place that would even attempt any repairs. IMO it’s a total loss, previous and present employer won’t do those kinds of repairs due to exposure to ecoli and probably future mold.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill abrams View Post
I just posted photos. The damage is pretty clear. Thank you
I would turn it over to the insurance company…let them find an estimate….Maybe think about looking for a new trailer or other accommodations because if you do find someone to tackle this it will probably be in the shop for many months and never be the same as new…I’d think that may be a total loss…to replace the floor they basically deconstruct the entire trailer. Labor price would be astronomical…depending on what year I think the insurance would total it.
And I wouldn’t live in it because of mold and breaking my ankle falling thru the floor
Old 12-28-2023, 12:08 PM   #6
Bill abrams

Fortunately the tank was never used so no waste. It would be great to have a quote even if it totals the travel trailer. I’m only interested in getting a quote. She has great coverage
Old 12-28-2023, 12:13 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Your daughter may have not used the black tank, but you don’t know about the previous owner.

Look on NADA for a market valuation, and then figure if the repairs are 80% of that, that’s what the insurance will pay. I worked in an RV collision shop for 11/2 yrs and that was the industry standard.

Labor rates vary but the highest rate we ever got was $145/hr. I’m just guessing. But I would put it at 50+ hrs plus materials.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
Bill abrams

Thank you for the info
Old 12-28-2023, 12:22 PM   #9
notanlines

Bill, better that you looked at this straight up. “ My daughter purchased a used keystone passport 23.”. You know that the black tank has been used. I’m betting you didn’t come in the morning mail. I can assure you members here are not going to be sold this bill of goods. NOBODY is going to touch the repairs on a $20k rv with the damage more than the worth of the rv. As previously recommended, report it to insurance and drop it like a hot rock. Nobody needs to be living in that rv.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:29 PM   #10
Bill abrams

Thanks for the insight. I live in ny. The trailer is currently in Texas. My insurance company has asked for a quote to repair it. My daughter is partially disabled and I can’t get anyone to come look at it in the Houston area. What do you suggest?
Old 12-28-2023, 01:20 PM   #11
markcee

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I live in ny. The trailer is currently in Texas. My insurance companyhttps://www.txmobilervrepair.com/ has asked for a quote to repair it. My daughter is partially disabled and I can’t get anyone to come look at it in the Houston area. What do you suggest?
Have you tried contacting shops in the area that do major repairs and have a mobile repair component as well? Perhaps your daughter could pay for the mobile tech service call where the tech could then do a full inspection and get you a quote.

Here’s a place that advertises full repairs, including rotten slide out, roof, flooring replacements.

It lists areas about 40 min from Houston in its service profile.

https://www.txmobilervrepair.com/
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:53 PM   #12
Bill abrams

Yes I’ve call a half dozen shops large and small. They claim to be too busy. This is apparently their busy season. Several wouldn’t even return my call. Some were friendly most said it wasn’t worth their time. Thank you for the input. Much of the comments here are things I’ve already tried. I’m not sure why someone can’t provide me with an estimate. It’s not binding. I just need something to,provide to the insurance company. After the estimate it’s between me and my insurance company.
Old 12-28-2023, 03:19 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yes I’ve call a half dozen shops large and small. They claim to be too busy. This is apparently their busy season. Several wouldn’t even return my call. Some were friendly most said it wasn’t worth their time. Thank you for the input. Much of the comments here are things I’ve already tried. I’m not sure why someone can’t provide me with an estimate. It’s not binding. I just need something to,provide to the insurance company. After the estimate it’s between me and my insurance company.

I figure the places that can provide an accurate estimate 1) are swamped, 2) don't do mobile estimates and 3) don't want to involve themselves because the cost to take a knowledgeable person out of the shop to go do an estimate then charge you $1000 for that is going to cause a commotion. If this has to be done and money isn't an issue call one of the better shops at repairs and tell them you will pay them the 1k (maybe 500) for someone to write an estimate and see what happens.
Old 12-28-2023, 03:44 PM   #14
Bill abrams

Thanks again for the input. I’ve offered to pay any fee they had. Again the same answer. Months out. I’ll keep calling and eventually I’m sure I’ll get a shop that I can pay and their do the estimate. I thought someone here in the forum might know someone responsive and trustworthy. This is an easy estimate. I just need it on an entities letterhead for my insurance company. It’s easy money for anyone in the business. It’s pretty amazing that everyone I’ve ever met associated with RVing, travelers and park operators have gone out of their way to be friendly and helpful. I guess RV sales and repairs are similar to auto dealerships. Not flexible. A couple I talked to referred me to larger firms. The just didn’t offer to help and anything they could do was months off. The unit is in storage in Conroe and she’s off to Arizona on the 21st of this month and I’ve still got no solution for housing for her.
Old 12-28-2023, 04:02 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

When I damaged the roof on my old Cougar, Progressive sent out an estimator right to my property where I park my camper. Which insurance company are you using? Surprised they want you to get estimates as they likely have local estimators as Houston/Conroe is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:44 PM   #16
Badbart56

From my experience, the technicians that I have known, made it clear from the start that they didn't want anything to do with black tanks. that is likely the general consensus throughout the RV repair industry. If it even remotely appears to be related to a black tank it will probably be nigh on impossible to find someone that is willing. Good luck but it sounds like this one might have to be settled by the insurance company.

And crazy times, a tree limb fell on my truck back in the COVID days and my truck sat at the body shop for three months because the adjuster refused to go out of their office to even look at it.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 03:49 AM   #17
Mikendebbie

You did not provide the year model of the Passport - but they have been called “ultralite” for many years - which means the floor is not a single layer of thick plywood, but thin plywood+foam board insulation+thin plywood bottom. The floor framing is aluminum. The walls are built on top of the plywood floor. If the whole floor is compromised - I’m not sure this can be repaired (not even considering the black tank contamination issues). The screen shots below are from the 2020 and the 2014 brochures to give you an idea of construction materials for a Passport. As the water pooled inside the unit - the bottom of the exterior walls got soaked - therefore the exterior walls will experience delaminating along the bottom. Print out this thread and send it to your insurance company. I agree with the assessments above - the RV is totaled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	45932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	45933  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 09:24 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

This is just one person's opinion, but it looks to me that your insurance company is "passing the buck and shirking their responsibility". Every insurance company I've ever dealt with has their own appraiser on staff and THEY, (not a repair facility) makes the initial "damage assessment".

I'd contact your agent (or if he is the current roadblock) contact the insurance company help line and explain the situation. Inform them that the trailer is not safely habitable at present, that you have tried multiple times to obtain an estimate for repair costs and that NOBODY around the trailer's location is willing to work with you. Ask your insurance company for a repair facility that they contract with or have an agreement with for that purpose, then contact their recommendation. If that fails, contact the insurance company with the results and put it back in their hands.....

I've never dealt with any insurance company that has left the damaged owner "high and dry" and walked away from a situation like you have.... If it were me, I'd no longer be describing that kind of service as "she has great insurance coverage"....

Right now, as far as I see, your insurance company is the "roadblock that has let you down"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 11:17 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is just one person's opinion, but it looks to me that your insurance company is "passing the buck and shirking their responsibility". Every insurance company I've ever dealt with has their own appraiser on staff and THEY, (not a repair facility) makes the initial "damage assessment".

I'd contact your agent (or if he is the current roadblock) contact the insurance company help line and explain the situation. Inform them that the trailer is not safely habitable at present, that you have tried multiple times to obtain an estimate for repair costs and that NOBODY around the trailer's location is willing to work with you. Ask your insurance company for a repair facility that they contract with or have an agreement with for that purpose, then contact their recommendation. If that fails, contact the insurance company with the results and put it back in their hands.....

I've never dealt with any insurance company that has left the damaged owner "high and dry" and walked away from a situation like you have.... If it were me, I'd no longer be describing that kind of service as "she has great insurance coverage"....

Right now, as far as I see, your insurance company is the "roadblock that has let you down"....

^^^^^Agree completely.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:26 AM   #20
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

oh come on John this is just crazy talk….next your gonna tell me that stores like Home depot and Lowe’s are gonna require you to do all the work at a cash register..bagging,scanning etc….i wonder if Corporations have decided to make us all “employee for a day” ( no pay or benefits) to save money??? funny though the cost of goods keep climbing so not sure where that money goes