Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2023, 01:44 PM   #1
Jr28

Need some advice

Hey everyone new to the forum been on here a few times reading posts. I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right place so I am sorry if I am, also I’m sure it’s been talked about a lot about half ton towing. So we are thinking of getting a new camper currently have a 2019 keystone bullet premier 22rbpr and the truck I have tows it good. 2017 Silverado 1500 crewcab standard bed. 3.42 gears tow package max payload 1644, I know this has nothing to do with payload but truck has loadlifter 5000 and load e range tires.Looking at a 2024 keystone hideout 24rbs. Also I know to add 100lb for wdh and everything we put in the truck plus people. So what I am asking do you think I’m jumping to far for weight wise for hauling with a half ton

Premier specs
Tongue weight 590lbs
Gvwr 6500 lbs
Length 26.92 ft

Hideout specs
Tongue weight 665lbs
Gvwr 7660lbs
Length 28.92 ft
Jr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr28 View Post
Hey everyone new to the forum been on here a few times reading posts. I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right place so I am sorry if I am, also I’m sure it’s been talked about a lot about half ton towing. So we are thinking of getting a new camper currently have a 2019 keystone bullet premier 22rbpr and the truck I have tows it good. 2017 Silverado 1500 crewcab standard bed. 3.42 gears tow package max payload 1644, I know this has nothing to do with payload but truck has loadlifter 5000 and load e range tires.Looking at a 2024 keystone hideout 24rbs. Also I know to add 100lb for wdh and everything we put in the truck plus people. So what I am asking do you think I’m jumping to far for weight wise for hauling with a half ton

Premier specs
Tongue weight 590lbs
Gvwr 6500 lbs
Length 26.92 ft

Hideout specs
Tongue weight 665lbs
Gvwr 7660lbs
Length 28.92 ft

The fact that your asking is probably answering your own question…i personally wouldn’t tow anything more then a very small trailer/ popup with a 1/2 ton truck….3/4 and 1 ton trucks are built for towing and hauling..a 1/2 ton is a passenger vehicle in my mind…you could probably get a decent price for your pickup and then take advantage of the end of year sales push and end up with a new truck and trailer to carry you safely wherever you may roam…but that’s just my thinking…i just feel towing anything substantial behind a half ton truck is bad for the truck…suspension,brakes,trans…etc
Old 12-28-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr28 View Post

Premier specs
Tongue weight 590lbs
Gvwr 6500 lbs
Length 26.92 ft

Hideout specs
Tongue weight 665lbs
Gvwr 7660lbs
Length 28.92 ft
At 13% TW plus 100 for WDH that’s 1100 lbs of payload. Leaving you 544 for occupants and gear without overloading. Weight of airbags and any other add-ons further reduce that “sticker” payload value as well.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 04:04 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum! It is good you are asking this question before and not after the jump. You will get some good feedback I'm sure and then you can make your decision.

I've towed lots of miles with a 1/2 ton; one was about that same length but a bit lighter gvw (6500lbs) but no slide and quite a few years ago when they were very plain jane. I've also towed a larger trailer with a 1/2 ton. Can it be done? Sure. Can it be done safely? IMO not really. All is well and good until "it" happens and a 1/2 ton just doesn't have the cojones to control 76xx lbs. (more than the truck weighs).

When you get up to pulling 30' with a 1/2 ton the trailer can put a lot of stress on the truck suspension both vertically and horizontally. A 1/2 ton is built with comfort in mind with a little bit of "hauling" (like a couple of chairs) thrown in. Those stresses go right to the springs, spring hangers, anti sway bar, wheels, bearings - you name it. Light duty "stuff" doesn't do well trying to do a heavy duty job. In my case I added a HD Hellwig anti sway bar, LT tires, Bilstein shocks etc. to try to make towing "OK"...it never got there. Of course it feels OK if you don't have anything to compare it to but it's not.

For numbers; trailer is 7660lbs. gvw at 13% estimated tongue weight comes in at 996lbs. You use the gvw because there is a real possibility that a person could max out that 13xx lb. payload plus if you don't it builds in a small layer of protection....small. Hitch estimated at 120 I would say - if you choose to pull a trailer almost 30' long make SURE you have one of the best hitches out there....not a HF or some deal from Walmart. So we're at about 1116lbs and don't know about people or other stuff. Let's say 400lbs. people. I've never went anywhere I didn't have something in the bed of the truck...sometimes lots (these days) and sometimes a little less (not usually). So things in the bed let's say 250lbs. (I carry considerably more than that). Now we have 1765 vs the 1644 payload. Of course the next conversation is that the trailer won't be loaded to max, the occupants weigh less and there won't be 250 in the bed... Matters not really. I like to keep a 10% cushion minimum away from my payload/gvwr on the truck so we can back down available payload to approx. 1480lbs. There's almost a 300lb. difference between the approximated loaded weight and the preferred loading weight of 1480 so hopefully there is quite a bit of cutting to be done....and we haven't talked about the weight that you lost on gvwr/payload by adding upgraded tires and the loadlifters. So if one could optimally get to those numbers we are still talking about a lightly sprung 1/2 ton loaded/stressed to maximum weight then trying to control a trailer almost 30' long.

Finally, (I know and I'm sorry) I didn't mention that 3.42 rear axle ratio. That is a highway rear ratio not towing. Pulling a max load combined with the wind resistance that a tall trailer brings will kill that transmission if you do much mountain driving and will on flat roads given time. The performance will not be optimum either. If you have the 10 speed tranny it will help but I don't think they were standard in 2017?

Just some things to think about as you ponder the situation. Didn't mention the reason for the upgrade, family etc. but I understand the desire - just think it through thoroughly. I've made my share of rash decisions...some I wish I could take back; some I was lucky enough to survive. Do your homework, think of the family and good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 04:16 PM   #5
Jr28

Thanks for the reply’s! Family getting bigger just looking for something that can sleep a couple more people. We are looking at 2 TTs the hide out which is the bigger one and a bullet cross fire but I appreciate the reply’s thanks
Old 12-28-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
Badbart56

My opinion is, always err on the side of a bigger truck than what you need. I (and others on here) have seen too many people buy a truck that the salesman (or someone) told them would do the job just fine, only to find out they had too much trailer for the truck.

Of course the deciding factor is usually your budget, and only you know how that works. But if you need to buy a used tow vehicle rather than a new one it may be the option to consider.

Regardless, you have taken the correct first step in looking before you leap. One thing to keep in mind, if you are thinking of going to a 3/4 ton tow vehicle, just skip that step and move up to a one ton. Not enough difference in price or ride but much better payload capability.

Good luck in your search and welcome to this very knowledgeable forum!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:05 PM   #7
Jr28

I guess I have another question what’s everyone’s opinion on the refrigerator being in the side? bullet cross fire 2220ml
Old 12-28-2023, 08:48 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

You're talking about the fridge in the slide? Since I've owned a trailer with a slide the fridge has always been in a slide. I've had no problems. I will say that this trailer has a large (18cf?) res fridge and when we load it full with frozen steaks etc. for a 5-6mo. trip it does strain the slide....we load it a bit lighter now. Other than that there are some considerations about it being in a slide but none I've ever encountered that caused issue.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:05 PM   #9
gearhead

Is the refrigerator a gas/elect traditional RV type or a 110volt residential or one of the new 12volt type?
I told myself I would never have another gas/elect RV fridge in a slide. Rather than vent straight up through a roof vent it has to vent sideways. Sometimes that works OK, sometimes not. Didn’t work for me until the entire cooling system was replaced and then tweaked by an experienced tech (not at the dealer).
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 06:07 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Stats and weights give me a headache. My advise .... get a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel and you'll not have to worry about anything. With that trailer, you won't even have to check the weights. You'll automatically be good.

For what it's worth, I towed our first travel trailer, 18 foot Dutchmen Sport, with a 1500 Chevy Surburban. It towed the pop-up flawless! .... But the transmission blew 3 months after we got the trailer. Got a new transmission for it, and it never drove the same again. Traded it for a 3500 gasser dually, long bed, crew Chevy. The difference was incredible. Had 2 diesel 3500's, long bed, crew cab since then and never, ever, had any issues stepping up in weight towing. We are now up to a 41 foot 14,000 pound fifth wheel. No issues. Truck is still towing great and it's now 10 years old.

Bottom line, go big! You will NEVER regret it, if you want true, comfortable, safe, and trouble free towing and have room for growth in your future. (and yes .... there will be a future)....
Old 01-02-2024, 10:35 AM   #11
CBears

I towed our Jayco 264bh (6600 gvw) with a Ford F150 w/ecoboost for a year or so. The truck pulled it fine around our area but if the wind would ever kick up, the truck would struggle. IMO, it's not the weight as much as the size that made me uncomfortable. Before going on a long trip, I upgraded to an F250 with the 7.3 gas motor. It did great even through the mountains in Colorado.

We just upgraded to a 24 Cougar 25MLE. It is almost the same length but has a gvw of 8800. I'm really glad I've got the bigger truck because I now have weight AND length.

I agree with the other comments other than I would say there is no need to go diesel. Our 7.3 gasser does great.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote