Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Nissan XD has a diesel no more and stuck with the same 5.6L V8 they started with as I recall (maybe massaged a little) so they seem happy with the 1/2 ton market - if you can call it that. Think they sold something like 2500 units in September. I'm not sure where Toyota wants to go with their full size trucks but after this long it seems to me that all they want to do is concentrate on the 1/2 ton market and aren't interested in any kind of HD applications or diesel power. They are still a LONG way from having a true HD truck with all the suspension, brake etc. requirements. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #22
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Nissan XD has a diesel no more and stuck with the same 5.6L V8 they started with as I recall (maybe massaged a little) so they seem happy with the 1/2 ton market - if you can call it that. Think they sold something like 2500 units in September. I'm not sure where Toyota wants to go with their full size trucks but after this long it seems to me that all they want to do is concentrate on the 1/2 ton market and aren't interested in any kind of HD applications or diesel power. They are still a LONG way from having a true HD truck with all the suspension, brake etc. requirements. JMO
I think Toyota is aiming for the younger crowd. The ones that like to do heavy mods, make them into pre-runners and show trucks.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #23
rlh1957

2019 Toyota Tundra 5.7 liter V8... the towing package and weights on the door jam is what matters more than engine size. I have found anything that says half ton towable is a manufacturer and salesman gimmick that borders on being illegal statement of numbers and ignorance of what towable really means. Trucks can tow much more weight than they are rated for, but that doesn't mean it is safe or even certain your engine, transmission and suspension will survive. As the dealer to guarantee in writing that your intended towing vehicle sitting in the parking space and not on paper will tow this trailer loaded with cargo and truck loaded appropriately, sign affirming that you guarantee it can be done safely and legally with a half ton truck. They won't sign! Sure you may enjoy towing and it may tow it just within limits, but you will have to weigh everything and everybody you load in the truck and trailer to make sure weight and balance are within limits. engines and transmissions are better than they used to be, but half ton weight carrying and towing ability just hasn't seen the suspension beef up necessary for. I hate seeing folks at the campground with their half ton towable 5th wheels with their half ton truck. Haven't met one yet that wasn't wanting to upgrade their truck because of weight limitations and close numbers.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
Mainer

That's a big noooo!

We have a 2016 Extended Cab 4x4 Tundra, cargo capacity is 1425 Lbs. And a 208RBS Keystone Bullet. GVWR 6000 Lbs, stated tongue weight of 400 lbs, ideal tongue weight 600-900 lbs. Sounded great, we will keep it on the low side. BIG mistake, we loaded it and weighed the tongue, well over 1000 Lbs. Now we don't use the the front pass through for anything with weight, put a counterweight box on the back tied to the frame (not the sewer hose carrier) to carry what would have gone up front to get the tongue weight around 750.

Don't get me wrong, we like the layout and it tows great now, push the pedal down and I think I can get on the Interstate faster than the car. But I'd like to drag the designers underneath it to show them why it's a bad idea to put all cargo space, and 40 gal. FW tank so far forward without some way to properly balance the rig.

First rig (66 ALJO) had cargo front and back, loved that beast.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #25
K_N_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
But I'd like to drag the designers underneath it to show them why it's a bad idea to put all cargo space, and 40 gal. FW tank so far forward without some way to properly balance the rig. First rig (66 ALJO) had cargo front and back, loved that beast.

There are a lot of reasons to drag designers underneath the unit!

I always figured that a nose heavy trailer is safer from a towing configuration given that "many" folks will not pay attention to how they load up.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #26
Gkula

JR, I own a 2014 Tundra, crewmax, same engine, and let me say it is a great truck for towing. I've towed my 36ft, 2019 bullet premier 30RIPR over 11K elev Colorado passes (translation no air), and through the windy plains of Nebraska and Kansas with plenty of power and stopping ability. With the truck/trailer combo you mentioned you will run into issues of lack of payload and maybe exceeding gcvwr for safe towing/stopping. Otherwise, Toyota makes a great RELIABLE truck, setup for towing with the 4.30 rear axle and 14in brakes. I added a brake controller and use the Equal-I-zer 4pt weight distribution hitch. Makes traveling EASY.
Gkula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #27
Otty

Friends of ours recently purchased 2019 Tundra. It struggles and sags pulling their new 19’ bumper pull. And the they get about 8mpg, less than my v10 pulling a 33’ 5er.
Otty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:17 AM   #28
14george

I towed a 32RLI with a Tundra never do it again
Old 11-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
We have a 2016 Extended Cab 4x4 Tundra, cargo capacity is 1425 Lbs. And a 208RBS Keystone Bullet. GVWR 6000 Lbs, stated tongue weight of 400 lbs, ideal tongue weight 600-900 lbs. Sounded great, we will keep it on the low side. BIG mistake, we loaded it and weighed the tongue, well over 1000 Lbs. Now we don't use the the front pass through for anything with weight, put a counterweight box on the back tied to the frame (not the sewer hose carrier) to carry what would have gone up front to get the tongue weight around 750.

Don't get me wrong, we like the layout and it tows great now, push the pedal down and I think I can get on the Interstate faster than the car. But I'd like to drag the designers underneath it to show them why it's a bad idea to put all cargo space, and 40 gal. FW tank so far forward without some way to properly balance the rig.

First rig (66 ALJO) had cargo front and back, loved that beast.
So your compensating for the lack of TV capacity by "counter balancing" the weight on the rear to lighten the tongue. What's the weight of the trailer now? If the tongue weight isn't 15 to 17% of the trailer's weight then you are setting yourself up for sway and handling issues.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #30
Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
So your compensating for the lack of TV capacity by "counter balancing" the weight on the rear to lighten the tongue. What's the weight of the trailer now? If the tongue weight isn't 15 to 17% of the trailer's weight then you are setting yourself up for sway and handling issues.
I made the trailer mods to bring it (barely) into spec for towing by a previous SUV. After a long sometimes tense trip this TV was bought and and this TV is quite adequate. This trailer is small and relatively light, there is not a lot of "stuff" in the trailer or TV as we are backpackers. I would not recommend a Tundra for a heavy or IMPROPERLY BALANCED trailer nor ANY 5er.

The point I was making was compensating for gross incompetence in trailer design. The 40 gallon (250#) FW tank and ALL externally accessible storage and most internal storage is forward. the only storage aft the wheels is a clothes closet. This forum and other references generally say pull tow-able tongue weight should be 10-15% of GVWR (6000#).

My Bullet when first loaded (FW tank was full) was well over 15% tongue weight and would have not been a good situation. I might have been able to bring it below 15% by filling the black and gray tanks. My mod corrected poor trailer design and now I can adjust the tongue weight as needed and carry FW for boondocking. I chose to put the tongue weight in the middle of the recommended weight distribution at 750#.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #31
Brantlyj

Quote:
I made the trailer mods to bring it (barely) into spec for towing by a previous SUV. After a long sometimes tense trip this TV was bought and and this TV is quite adequate. This trailer is small and relatively light, there is not a lot of "stuff" in the trailer or TV as we are backpackers. I would not recommend a Tundra for a heavy or IMPROPERLY BALANCED trailer nor ANY 5er.

The point I was making was compensating for gross incompetence in trailer design. The 40 gallon (250#) FW tank and ALL externally accessible storage and most internal storage is forward. the only storage aft the wheels is a clothes closet. This forum and other references generally say pull tow-able tongue weight should be 10-15% of GVWR (6000#).

My Bullet when first loaded (FW tank was full) was well over 15% tongue weight and would have not been a good situation. I might have been able to bring it below 15% by filling the black and gray tanks. My mod corrected poor trailer design and now I can adjust the tongue weight as needed and carry FW for boondocking. I chose to put the tongue weight in the middle of the recommended weight distribution at 750#.
I’m getting visions of those cast iron plates farmers use to balance out their tractors hanging off the back of your trailer.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #32
travelin texans

To be quite honest I wouldn't travel any distance with a full fresh water tank. First off that's a lot of weight on the hitch plus the tanks aren't supported well enough to handle that kind weight constantly bouncing down the highway.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

"compensating for gross incompetence in trailer design"? There are many, many trailers designed this way, including most 5th wheels. I'm guessing this wasn't apparent when you bought your trailer, or when you replaced your TV.

I should have stated max tongue wt at 15-17%.

Not weighting the trailer is guessing at an appropriate tongue weight and that was my point
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #34
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
To be quite honest I wouldn't travel any distance with a full fresh water tank. First off that's a lot of weight on the hitch plus the tanks aren't supported well enough to handle that kind weight constantly bouncing down the highway.
Getting off on a tangent here but if where ever your going doesn't have water available, where do you get it?
Old 11-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #35
Beast2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRlikesRVliving View Post
What do people think about towing a 2019 half-ton keystone cougar 33 SAB with a 2019 Toyota Tundra 5.7 liter V8?

Umm. Heck no. Please don’t
Beast2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #36
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
For a trailer that size a 4.10 is not mandatory. It will be beneficial for mountains etc. It will not be for daily driving; it keeps the engine spinning at a little higher rpm and uses a bit more fuel.

I pull a trailer at just about the weight you are looking at with a Ram 6.4 gas engine and 3.73. We do great; flats, hills and mountains. Diesel would give us more oomph and a 4.10 makes it a little easier but I've owned both. 4.10 is generally hard to find whereas the 3.73 is kind of a "go to" ratio. I wouldn't worry for a minute if all you can find is the 3.73...btdt.
I have been looking at 2020 3/4 Chevys, and it appears to me they have dropped the 4.10 rear ends. The new 3.73s can pull more than my 4.10 did.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #37
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast2017 View Post
Umm. Heck no. Please don’t

The OP posted his query about the 1/2 ton over a year ago. I suspect he has made alternate tow vehicle or camper purchases.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:39 AM   #38
ehidle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
JR,

I did a quick check on the specs of that trailer. It looks like the trailer is 37 feet long and has a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds. If those numbers are right, I don’t know how anyone could consider that trailer half ton towable. You would need a 3/4 ton truck at the least to tow a trailer that big, in my opinion.
Agree 100%. My 30RKD is 36 feet and 9500 GVW and I couldn't imagine towing it with a 1/2 ton gasser.
ehidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:06 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
Agree 100%. My 30RKD is 36 feet and 9500 GVW and I couldn't imagine towing it with a 1/2 ton gasser.
What's the payload capacity of your Titan?
Old 12-03-2020, 06:42 AM   #40
ehidle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What's the payload capacity of your Titan?
It's just north of 1800 but don't remember the exact number.
ehidle is offline   Reply With Quote