Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #1
rwmurphy15

Good Sam Travel Assist Insurance

My Good Sam Travel Assist Insurance is up for renewal and I’m debating on renewing it with all the Camping World issues. Is there other Travel Assist insurances on the market. What do other RVers have for travel insurance and what’s you opinion of Good Sam insurances anymore.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Another forum owned by Camping World, rv.net has discussion regarding the program you are asking about. Be sure to expand the time out to 12 months for threads as most are closed very quickly. Also keep in mind that most people post about membership in this travel assist program have had some sort of an issue and are angry and you may not hear from folks who are satisfied with the service. Same for any rating system (see Amazon.com). Not sure how Good Sam aka Camping World has received my contact info but I have getting solicitations.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I have Good Sam Travel Assist but don't know if it works because I've not had to use it. I do have Good Sam Roadside Assistance and it's worked well for me. As far as "Camping World issues" affecting the Travel Assist offering, I'm not sure what that means.

I just googled some negative reviews of the program and the ones I read were from people that didn't read the parameters of the plan and just wanted some "money back" - that's not how they work. Just as any other plan or policy you need to know what you are buying, what it covers, what it excludes and how it works. One complained that they ran up a 71k travel bill without including Travel Assist then complained because they didn't pay because they didn't follow the rules of the plan - operator error, not Good Sam.

As for me, I have every plan Good Sam offers as far as I know along with everything Geico offers etc. etc. Additionally I carry a policy with AeroMedCare to cover any air transportation if the need arises that my medical insurance won't cover. Probably (hopefully) don't need it or ever will, but when you do I would prefer not to pull that 71k out of my pocket (Blue Cross covered the example above if I'm not mistaken).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
rwmurphy15

Travel Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have Good Sam Travel Assist but don't know if it works because I've not had to use it. I do have Good Sam Roadside Assistance and it's worked well for me. As far as "Camping World issues" affecting the Travel Assist offering, I'm not sure what that means.

I just googled some negative reviews of the program and the ones I read were from people that didn't read the parameters of the plan and just wanted some "money back" - that's not how they work. Just as any other plan or policy you need to know what you are buying, what it covers, what it excludes and how it works. One complained that they ran up a 71k travel bill without including Travel Assist then complained because they didn't pay because they didn't follow the rules of the plan - operator error, not Good Sam.

As for me, I have every plan Good Sam offers as far as I know along with everything Geico offers etc. etc. Additionally I carry a policy with AeroMedCare to cover any air transportation if the need arises that my medical insurance won't cover. Probably (hopefully) don't need it or ever will, but when you do I would prefer not to pull that 71k out of my pocket (Blue Cross covered the example above if I'm not mistaken).
Thanks for your reply Sourdough, I just was not sure if I wanted to renew the policy. But reading your comments I think it might be a good idea to.with my wife’s medical issues it might make sense to. I’m also going to check into the AeroMedCare also.
rwmurphy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmurphy15 View Post
Thanks for your reply Sourdough, I just was not sure if I wanted to renew the policy. But reading your comments I think it might be a good idea to.with my wife’s medical issues it might make sense to. I’m also going to check into the AeroMedCare also.

Same here. 10 years or so ago I could have cared less about many of those policies but then "life" happens and things like that become more important. And, when faced with a sudden, unexpected emergency the last thing I will do, or want to do, is think about costs so might be nice to have something that provides some financial help in that event.....and they cost so little.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
sandy43

I have the GS travel assist. Used it twice for changing blow-outs. Worked good for me, next time who knows.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
I have the GS travel assist. Used it twice for changing blow-outs. Worked good for me, next time who knows.

Travel Assist is a different coverage than "Roadside Assistance" which covers the blowouts.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
Customer1

Join FMCA and travel assist is included with your membership.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
Roscommon48

right now Good Sam Travel Assist Insurance is running a $100 per year for a couple. sounds pretty good but I've never used it.

several other outfits out there however.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
right now Good Sam Travel Assist Insurance is running a $100 per year for a couple. sounds pretty good but I've never used it.

several other outfits out there however.

Sort of like our AerMedCare policy for airflight in the event of an emergency; umbrella policy and all the other "extraneous" policies we have that we haven't used....and hope we never have to. It's how "insurance" works vs our desires to never be in that hopeless, impossible situation. I'm good with that.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #11
gearhead

I think we have everything GS offers. Plus everything State Farm has. Plus AAA.
My wife is a sucker for insurance.
One of these days she will discover there is a policy for rescue in central Africa by armed Paramedics in a private jet.
I discovered it IS available when I was thinking of an African hunting trip.
I ain't telling her.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #13
sandy43

sourdough, your right. Got confused. I do not have travel assist, only roadside assist.. Thanks

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote