Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #21
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just speculation on my part, but there is a safety clip that is inserted in the switch when in the OFF position. This safety clip prevents the switch from being accidentally turned on. If the switch were installed so the off position was on the bottom (lower part as most switches are located) then it would be virtually impossible to insert the safety clip behind the ON side of the switch as it would be blocked by the gas tube and the mixer assembly.

So, I'd guess "some engineer (probably a junior one at that) at Suburban" made the decision to install the switch "upside down" so the safety clip hole is accessible and can be used.
This post intrigued me. I examined my own Suburban heater, and found that the switch was indeed the reverse of what is traditional, but well labeled and the labels were rightside up (as in the photo). However, I don't seem to have a pass-through hairpin hole on mine. I feel cheated.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
This post intrigued me. I examined my own Suburban heater, and found that the switch was indeed the reverse of what is traditional, but well labeled and the labels were rightside up (as in the photo). However, I don't seem to have a pass-through hairpin hole on mine. I feel cheated.
I think (can't be sure) that somewhere around 2015 or 2016, Suburban stopped installing switches with the hole for the safety clip. Mine has the hole, I spent far too much time trying to keep up with the little steel clip and finally lost it somewhere... No, I didn't go looking for it, and haven't missed it, not even a little bit....

So, I'm in complete agreement with Suburban's decision to just eliminate it LOL

If I were you, I wouldn't "feel cheated"... just think of all those "moments of angst" that you were spared by not feeling the need to "keep up with that little clip's location".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #23
LHaven

Meh. If I feel too cheated, I always have a Ridgid.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater