Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
NJ High Country

Repairing blowout damage

So we had a tire blowout on our way back from Michigan. Not too much damage except for what’s shown in the pictures. I worked for a while to bend the steel to point that I could get a socket on the nut. Well the hole that the bolt goes through is elongated so the bolt spins with the nut. It seems that bent up piece just adds a little support to the gasket that keeps road debris out of the slide. It’s just a thin piece of aluminum angle, so I was going to cut the darco to gain access to the head of the bolt. I would replace the mount in kind and use scrim tape to patch the darco. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9EBEF32D-7A32-4E18-8861-895D78FF6693.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	41635   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A97543B-22EA-498D-B4D7-47F1AFBB85FB.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	41636   Click image for larger version

Name:	D81A58C3-5E41-42EC-B535-0CDDF1D84811.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	41637  
NJ High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #2
jasin1

there was a post the other day on “darco starting to wear on slide” i the repairs section a few posts down from yours that shows some repair methods
Old 09-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

What is that darco covering where the bolt goes through? Is that metal or wood flooring or ??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #4
NJ High Country

It’s just lightweight aluminum angle near the ptfe slide strip. It doesn’t seem to offer any structural support, I had my wife sit in the recliners then I sat in them and there was no movement. I’ll take better pictures tomorrow and make a hand sketch to show. The darco on the slide itself is fine.
NJ High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:36 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking just at the photos you posted, that outrigger, along with the undamaged one on the left side of the photo, support the "darco covered box" that I believe is the edge of the floor decking under the slide. The outriggers also support the weather stripping (slide seals) when the slide is in the travel position. I can't tell for sure, but those seals may also close off the slide when extended, preventing air from blowing into the trailer as well as preventing bugs/mice/ect from getting into the trailer.

As for the damaged outrigger, I'd cut it off at the "undamaged/rebendable" area, about 3 or 4 inches from the frame rail I beam. Then, I'd fabricate a similar outrigger, using the undamaged one at the other end of the slide assembly as a template. I'd drill holes in the "remaining part of the damaged outrigger" and bolt the new one to that location, trying to approximate the support to the seal strip and its assembly. If you "rip the entire damaged outrigger off the I beam, you're going to have "hell to pay" trying to reweld or drill and bolt a new one in place, and, depending on what's behing the I beam (like tanks, wiring, plumbing runs) it may be impossible to even get access to the back side of the outrigger location. I'd strongly urge you to use the existing outrigger (cut to serve as a mounting platform) to attach the new outrigger. That way, you can continue to support the slide seals and the "whatever else is attached to those outriggers" without having to drill into the I beam to attach something else.

If you don't have facilities to fabricate a replacement outrigger or if you can't find someone local to you that has a metal break (most auto body shops do) that can make one for you, here's a link to the Lippert store where a variety of outriggers are available for sale. While the exact size is not critical, you'll need to fabricate something that closely matches the undamaged existing outrigger on the other end of the slide. Here's the link: https://store.lci1.com/catalogsearch...t/?q=outrigger

As for your DARCO on the slide bottom, from the photos you posted, there is some "beginning damage" to the DARCO. I copied your photo and circled the areas that look like they are beginning to wear in yellow. Take a careful look at those areas, there is some nylon fabric abrasion in the DARCO that looks like it's already worn through the outer plastic film. Here's the photo I marked up showing what I think is likely to be DARCO damage.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DARCO DAMAGE.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	41638  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, the darco is damaged and being worn. I saw that and forgot to comment. IMO that's something that needs to be addressed before the floor gets wet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yes, the darco is damaged and being worn. I saw that and forgot to comment. IMO that's something that needs to be addressed before the floor gets wet.
I agree with Danny on keeping the slide floor dry until the DARCO is assessed and if damaged, repaired...

Also, not to be "piling on, adding to your misery", but also take a look at your spare tire. It may be the angle of the photo, but it looks like your outer ribs on both sides of the tire tread are worn, which is an indication of being overloaded/underinflated. It may just be the camera angle, but it looks like that tire may be a "goner fer shure".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:56 AM   #8
RickV

When I had a blowout back in March I had more damage and the Darco was torn to shreds. I got a 10' roll of roof flashing I believe it was 14" wide at Lowe's and some self tapping screws and replaced the torn Darco with it. I sealed the flashing on the edges with caulking anf sprayed it with undercoating so far so good. Look at this post https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=50721&page=2 post 31 shows the repairs.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage