Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2023, 07:09 PM   #1
sbrown_in_Auburn

Subfloor Damage - 36' Sprinter

I have a 2018 36' Sprinter with subfloor damage in the rear driver side area. The camper is 5 years old so out of warranty. The damaged area is basically where the far end of the slide-out comes in/out. It's not an area where anyone can walk. The only think in the area is the power distribution panel.

I think its a water intrusion/damage was caused by a pinched seal on the slide out that allowed moister in the insulation and subfloor. Termites/ants did their thing. I noticed it about 6 months ago...ripped away the wet insulation and rotted wood. Treated the area and haven't seen any insects or moisture in the area since. I've had the slide-out in and out just to make sure it was (hopefully) a one time thing. I should add that I live in east central Alabama and we get torrential rain storms here!

So I guess my question(s) is...since the damage is limited and not a space where anyone can walk, what's the best repair option? Ripping out the entire back end of the camper seems illogical to me so...

1. Cut out the existing OSB (probably 1/2") and connecting the exiting wood to a new piece with some flat/straight metal joints. Note: I can "wedge" some new wood between the frame and exiting vinyl flooring. Won't be pretty (or easy)...but also won't be visible.

2. Not worry about the repair because of the location...replace the insulation, tape it back up and not worry about it.

I'm leaning towards #1, but this type of repair isn't my strong point and I'd have to buy a few extra tools just to do it. Only advantage to #2 is that it's easy (essentially do nothing), but it would also be easy to open it back up to check for water intrusion.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3478.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	43674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3479.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	43675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3480.jpg