Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #21
WDPatterson

In answer to the question about surge protectors, I use a 30 amp dog bone between my Champion model 100216 4000/3650 watt generator and the inlet power cord to our fifth wheel trailer... I also use a neutral to ground bonding plug which I made myself very easily... Both of those items together protect the hot circuit, making sure that all the voltage is on the black wire, none of it on the white wire... The dawgbone Surge suppressor actually proves that this plug is working...

That said, in the summer heat, the surge protector actually detracts from the power transmission between the generator and the trailer... The surge protector is mostly necessary when you are connecting to an unknown power source (shore power) on a pedestal... It gives you all the information you need to make sure that the circuit is acceptable and safe for your trailer... Since most pedestals are grounded, there is no need to use the neutral/ground bonding plug in that configuration... It's only necessary to be used with a floating ground generator...

Furthermore, I have spoken with both the Champion Power Equipment generator tech support, as well as the people at Micro-Air who build the micro-air soft start which we have on our air conditioning unit... They all say that this configuration is a perfect application, and recommend this procedure... Furthermore, it does not violate anyone's warranty... In fact, it is a recommendation on both of their websites...
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote