Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #61
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlatch View Post
It’s exactly how the laws are worded. Speed limits change over time. The law doesn’t need changed with each 5mph increase. That has nothing to do with mob mentality unless you want to perceive it that way.
What?! It is called a limit for a reason. It is the maximum speed you are allowed to drive.

California Vehicle Code section 22349(a) which is known as the MAXIMUM speed law:

22349(a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

California Vehicle Code section 22406(a) says the maximum speed while towing is 55 mph:

22406 No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a highway at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.

There is no where in the California Vehicle Code, and I’m sure it is the same for any other state, that says you can incrementally increase the maximum speed without changing the law. I know because I have read it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #62
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
It’s exactly how the laws are worded. Speed limits change over time. The law doesn’t need changed with each 5mph increase. That has nothing to do with mob mentality unless you want to perceive it that way.
Interstate limits here are 70mph. Flow of traffic exceeds 80mph at times. I believe that is what Loganx was referring to as mob mentality. When not towing I tend to go with the flow, towing is a whole different ball game that I prefer to let the children play. Perhaps that is how some of us made it to this age of wisdom.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #63
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
What?! It is called a limit for a reason. It is the maximum speed you are allowed to drive.

California Vehicle Code section 22349(a) which is known as the MAXIMUM speed law:

22349(a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

California Vehicle Code section 22406(a) says the maximum speed while towing is 55 mph:

22406 No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a highway at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.

There is no where in the California Vehicle Code, and I’m sure it is the same for any other state, that says you can incrementally increase the maximum speed without changing the law. I know because I have read it.
I’ve never towed to California, and won’t, so I’m safe.

MY state, as many now, has 70 mph interstates. The MAX speed law has changed from 55 to 65, now 70. But they don’t have to REWRITE every law when they increase the MAX speed law. Thus, the Impedeing the flow of traffic law remains unchanged.
Hoodlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #64
Logan X

Quote:
I’ve never towed to California, and won’t, so I’m safe.

MY state, as many now, has 70 mph interstates. The MAX speed law has changed from 55 to 65, now 70. But they don’t have to REWRITE every law when they increase the MAX speed law. Thus, the Impedeing the flow of traffic law remains unchanged.
They do rewrite the law each time it changes. How else would you know it has changed?

You say your state has 70 mph speed limit and you think towing at 60 or 65 mph is impeding traffic?

Thanks for staying out of California
Old 06-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #65
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Hate to start something here, but since our son & family moved to Wash & I have to say I've never been anywhere else that had worse, less courteous drivers than around the Seattle area. I lost count as to the number of times I was shown I was #1 with the middle finger & I was not towing at the time just trying to stay alive. We've towed through big cities such as Houston, DFW, Atlanta & all across the country & Seattle is the winner as worst drivers of anywhere. Fortunately he's moving away & with any luck we'll never have to go back.
Well lived in Puyallup and commuted to Bellevue for about 17 years back in the 80’ ad 90’s, I still hate driving to or through Seattle or Bellevue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #66
Hoodlatch

Yes the MAX SPEED LAW gets changed. Not every other law to do with speed. You’ll get it eventually.

You don’t have to make assumptions for me. 60 and under on an always congested, 70 mph, two lane interstate, when the flow is a constant 80+. Yes I feel that way.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #67
TJTx

I pull a 2017.5 Alpine 3401RS with a 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax crew cab. The L5P engine and Allison trans can easily pull it at 80 or 85, let alone 75. However, I always keep it at 65 in the right lane regardless of higher speed limits (operative word is limit and not minimum). I will speed up to 70 to 75 to pass someone more quickly who is going even slower than me and then let cruise take me back to 65. As my fellow Texans can attest, the real issue is not so much how fast your McBeast can pull your trailer, but how fast you can stop. Highway traffic in Texas (and probably everywhere else) can stop very suddenly for almost any reason under the sun.
TJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #68
Hoodlatch

I would love to share some dash cam footage with some of you.

Here’s food for thought. If I tow a 4 hour stretch, and pass 1-10 campers in tow, but get passed by 25-100, would it be correct to say I tow slower than average for my location?

I’d say it. These speed demons must not be pulling Keystones I guess.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #69
bbells

65 max. Towing the fastest controllable speed is using defective logic. You need to prepare for more stopping distance, mechanical failures, and your own comfort. The faster you go the more stress the less relaxed you are on the trip.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #70
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTx View Post
I pull a 2017.5 Alpine 3401RS with a 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax crew cab. The L5P engine and Allison trans can easily pull it at 80 or 85, let alone 75. However, I always keep it at 65 in the right lane regardless of higher speed limits (operative word is limit and not minimum). I will will speed up to 70 to 75 to pass someone more quickly going even slower than me and then let cruise take me back to 65. As my fellow Texans can attest, the real issue is not so much how fast your McBeast can pull your trailer, but how fast you can stop. Highway traffic in Texas (and probably everywhere else) can stop very suddenly for almost any reason under the sun.
I would follow you at those speeds anywhere. Texas is a pleasure to drive in, the most courteous drivers I’ve seen.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #71
apachewolf

Towing speed.

This is an eternal discussion, never ending. Each and everyone here has their own opinions as to how to tow. Who is right and who's wrong? We live in Arizona and mostly travel there, but from time to time we go to California. Guess what..California rule is that if you tow a trailer the max speed is 55 MPH. that goes for truck too. Yes I know not many trucks do that, but they do get pulled over a lot of times. When traveling at 55 one has a better chance to keep control of the rig, the tires are 50% less stressed than going faster and you have a chance to see where you are going, which is why we also stay away from interstates as much as possible.

But more than once have I been passed by a fast moving rig only to meet up with them a few miles further when they were parked on the side of the road with a blown tire.

Happy camping all.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #72
Logan X

Quote:
Yes the MAX SPEED LAW gets changed. Not every other law to do with speed. You’ll get it eventually.

You don’t have to make assumptions for me. 60 and under on an always congested, 70 mph, two lane interstate, when the flow is a constant 80+. Yes I feel that way.
I’m not sure which law you are referencing that says it is ok to drive with the flow of traffic? I would love for you to enlighten me.

I’m not assuming anything about you or for you. I think my point is simple. The law sets the maximum speed limit. If “everyone” chooses to drive faster than the speed limit, making the flow of traffic faster than the speed limit, that doesn’t make it legal or ok. If that logic worked, then you could drive 90 mph, or 100 mph, and it would be ok if everyone were doing it.

I’m not trying to say I never speed nor am I judging anyone who does. My point is simply that someone is not impeding traffic if they are driving slower than the flow of traffic especially if the flow of traffic is traveling 10-15 mph faster than the speed limit.

You’ll get it eventually
Old 06-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #73
Hoodlatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I’m not sure which law you are referencing that says it is ok to drive with the flow of traffic? I would love for you to enlighten me.

I’m not assuming anything about you or for you. I think my point is simple. The law sets the maximum speed limit. If “everyone” chooses to drive faster than the speed limit, making the flow of traffic faster than the speed limit, that doesn’t make it legal or ok. If that logic worked, then you could drive 90 mph, or 100 mph, and it would be ok if everyone were doing it.

I’m not trying to say I never speed nor am I judging anyone who does. My point is simply that someone is not impeding traffic if they are driving slower than the flow of traffic especially if the flow of traffic is traveling 10-15 mph faster than the speed limit.

You’ll get it eventually
Hey I’m sure we could camp together just fine. I could even slow down and (somewhat)follow your states laws if I had a strong enough reason to go there.
I stated exactly what is normal in my area, and what the law states. I didn’t say people always get tickets for driving to slow.
I also didn’t say I drive 70mph anywhere and everywhere. I slow down in areas that the speed limit drops, believe me. Just being honest at 67-70, sometimes 75 to pass.
I still tow slower than most around me, and I’m 100% comfortable with that.

Normal driving here? You won’t get pulled over for 80mph unless you are swerving or it’s icy/snowing. The cops pick out the ones doing 85-90 consistently though.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #74
Hoodlatch

In many states it is illegal to drive with your hazard lights on.
In PA, and some other states, it is a requirement if you are under certain speeds. Our interstates used to be marked 15mph under the posted limit required hazard lights. Tractor trailers still run them up the mountain grades, many times holding 60+.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #75
johnlewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick8019 View Post
I have 2004 5th wheel mountaineer that is 29.7 feet long and weighs around 10k pounds according to the gentleman I bought it from. I have a 2014 Chevy 2500 LTZ with the 6.1 gas engine. I was wondering what is the speed everybody tows there camper. People I have spoken to at the campgrounds tell me no faster than 65. Others have told me they go around 75 to keep up with traffic.

What is every ones opinions.

Thanks
Phil
Check out your 5er tire speed rating. Most trailer tires have a speed rating of 65 mph, so anything above that is generating more heat, which can cause tire failure. Our load range G tires from Discount Tire have an 81 mph rating. We like about 68 mph towing - seems to be a sweet spot for our 3500 Ram DRW diesel.
If you can't find the speed rating on your tires, check online. You can Google to find the info.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #76
TYHLR

Count me in as one of the 65 MPH crowd.

My TV is a 3500 diesel dually and can easily tow my rig at 80 or beyond. I just choose not to. Like many others here, I have tried many different tow speeds and for me grossing 24k, 65 MPH is a nice comfortable fit for me and my rig.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #77
SummitPond

We were in South Dakota recently and noted the speed limits out in the "middle of nowhere". I wasn't comfortable at the stated max speed unhitched with just the TV; I tried it just to see how it felt and I did not believe I could control the truck if there was need for a sudden maneuver.

You can see the max speed has been changed from some earlier value. I find it interesting their minimum speed is lower than what tends to be the norm (45 mph). Please note the interstate was pretty sparsely traveled in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sIMG_1800 2019-05-20 SD speed limit.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	22292  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #78
Frank G

Comfort Zone... that's the only speed you need to travel in.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #79
Harried Harry

Now that I finally got my password squared away, I'll add my 1/2 cent to the discussion. I've driven in many different states and I've found each state has their own set of rules (laws) and customs (flow of traffic) which control the speeds for vehicles. I believe most pickups with trailers are safe if driven between 65 to 75. Any faster is not safe, in my book. I drive my Dodge 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins and my truck camper most of the time. I usually go at 70 mph, but my wife loves to drive at 80 mph (custom = 5 over max speed limit). I don't believe she is safe but discussing or arguing with her is like trying to get a grizzly to change direction when he's chasing you. The reason I don't drive faster is brakes, reaction time, and the challenge of dealing with other drivers who think they can stop on a dime and I should be able to stop the same way. If I'm towing my trailer with the Jeep on-board, I'll drive 55 to 60.

I think the majority of people think driving between 65 to 75 is pretty safe. I agree. Most of the states in the West have wide open roads but we also have "strange" people who think they can safely drive at 80 to 100 mph. I don't agree, but they are driving their vehicle the way they want; eventually they will pay the price, but I want to safely avoid the carnage.

Regardless, on a related issue, I've seen a YouTube video which shows how to properly slow down and get to a safe place when a tire goes flat on the TV or the trailer. If you haven't seen the video, please look for it so you can teach yourself how to be a better driver for stopping when tires go "elsewhere". Here is one example: https://www.allstate.com/blog/how-to...-tire-blowout/
(no endorsement intended).
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #80
kjohn

Luckily, I live in Western Canada and travel in that area. I can hold at 100 kph in a 110 zone and not cause any trouble. We just did a shakedown tour of over 1000 kms, and had reasonable weather and light traffic all the way. I had people pulling big horse trailers with big pickups roar past. Good for them. I use 5th gear, tow/haul almost all the time. Young guys with big fifth wheel campers and diesel pickups will sail by, but they pass cars as well.

Tags
tow, towing