Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2023, 02:41 PM   #1
Canonman

I am Not Happy today

I think I may be the first on the forum to winterize their rig, essentially ending our travels for the season.
We usually enjoy our fall trips traveling well into October. However, this year, due to some family issues I had to admit that we would't be getting out before the cold weather really hits us. So, in went the pink. I'll likely wash and wax the Cougar this week and put the cover on for the loooong winters nap.
Hope I'm the only one in this predicament. Happy camping to the rest you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1214.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	45241  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

We feel your pain. Although we have two more short trips planned, many places up here in the Northeast close after Columbus Day and that is typically the end of our camping season.

A few years ago due to extended work travel and bad weather, we put our motorcycle to bed for the winter in early September. It was the longest most disgruntled winter in my memory
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:16 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I feel for you, it's a sad thing. We've been shut down since July and won't be going to FL this winter for the first time in well over a decade. Puppy is too sick and riding just nails her. Just talked today a about finding places within 2-3 hours as she seems to be able to walk if we limit truck time to that. Go out to the storage barn and rummage around the trailer every few days just to "keep in touch"....it's a bummer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 05:10 PM   #4
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Canonman sorry to hear of your family issues. I hope they are minor and soon come to an end.

First week in October we head your way with plans to layover a few nights at the Grand Canyon North Rim before heading to the South Rim where we once again layover for a few days. From there, it is a big country to see.

Our travel route will take us across I-70 to Utah 89 where we drop south to Fredonia, Arizona.

It would interesting to know if you are familiar with the route from I-70 down to Fredonia and maybe recommend a few sights to see. We try to stay away from the busy places like Zion and Bryce. Once in Fredonia we can drop our 5er and tour the area for a day or two.

Any help will be appreciated.

Be well and safe travels.
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 05:13 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I washed the trailer today, plan to winterize it this weekend, after cleaning everything inside and reorganizing the storage compartments. We won't be using it any more this summer/fall, so putting it in the pole barn before having to shovel snow just makes for a bittersweet end of this year's camping season.

Hopefully next year we'll get an earlier start than this year and will be able to go for some longer "out west trips".

Sad part for me, is I've only put 25 miles on the Slingshot and haven't even put the boat in the water this year....

Too many toys and not enough time..... What was that somebody said about "when I retire I'll have all the time I need" ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 06:27 PM   #6
Canonman

"It would interesting to know if you are familiar with the route from I-70 down to Fredonia"

From 70 you can take UT24 south. There is a State Park along the way I've not camped at called Goblin Valley. Friends have stayed there and photographed there. It should be a very unique place to stop over. If you stay on 24 to Hanksville you'll wind up in Capitol Reef NP (least busy park in UT). Probably can't get a camp spot in the park (Fruita Campground) but there is a really nice RV Park in Torrey called Wonderland. Out of Torrey take UT12 over Boulder Mountain and into Escalante.Highway 12 is worth the trip all by itself. The Escalante Heritage Center is on the right just as you enter town. Stop in and hear the story of the Hole in the Rock Road and the perseverance of the early pioneers. You can continue on 12 past Bryce but you might want to stop in at the Red Canyon visitors center then on to 89. If you like slot canyons, Peek-A-Boo is on 89 just before Kanab. Rent a side by side and drive over some sand dunes to the entrance. Great spot for an afternoon break. Then through Kanab to Fredonia. You might check out the Kaibab Ute Tribe RV Park. Great Value!! I probably just made a 1 day trip into 3 or 4. I'm kind of bad that way
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MGL1319-2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	45242   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL1336-6.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	45243   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL1719-2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	45244   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8688.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	45245  
Old 09-26-2023, 05:15 AM   #7
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
"It would interesting to know if you are familiar with the route from I-70 down to Fredonia"

From 70 you can take UT24 south. There is a State Park along the way I've not camped at called Goblin Valley. Friends have stayed there and photographed there. It should be a very unique place to stop over. If you stay on 24 to Hanksville you'll wind up in Capitol Reef NP (least busy park in UT). Probably can't get a camp spot in the park (Fruita Campground) but there is a really nice RV Park in Torrey called Wonderland. Out of Torrey take UT12 over Boulder Mountain and into Escalante.Highway 12 is worth the trip all by itself. The Escalante Heritage Center is on the right just as you enter town. Stop in and hear the story of the Hole in the Rock Road and the perseverance of the early pioneers. You can continue on 12 past Bryce but you might want to stop in at the Red Canyon visitors center then on to 89. If you like slot canyons, Peek-A-Boo is on 89 just before Kanab. Rent a side by side and drive over some sand dunes to the entrance. Great spot for an afternoon break. Then through Kanab to Fredonia. You might check out the Kaibab Ute Tribe RV Park. Great Value!! I probably just made a 1 day trip into 3 or 4. I'm kind of bad that way
Canonman thank you so much for taking the time. I will be on the map, (RV Trip Wizard) later today, plotting our trip. From your information I am thinking I might alter our trip by a day or two so that we may stay in the area a few extra days.

Your pictures are beautiful thank you for taking the time to post them.

Tell those voices to keep your ideas coming, they are wonderful.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:34 AM   #8
Don77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I think I may be the first on the forum to winterize their rig, essentially ending our travels for the season.
We usually enjoy our fall trips traveling well into October. However, this year, due to some family issues I had to admit that we would't be getting out before the cold weather really hits us. So, in went the pink. I'll likely wash and wax the Cougar this week and put the cover on for the loooong winters nap.
Hope I'm the only one in this predicament. Happy camping to the rest you.
No ypu are not the first!
I witerized ours 2 weeks ago as the weather here in Duluth has been cool, warm , rainy and cool mid 50s, and too much other things going on.

Don
Old 09-26-2023, 11:32 AM   #9
Max23

We're hoping to get at least 1 more in before the pink stuff. Hoping!! We aren't able to go for another 2 weeks thats why I say hoping. Havn't given up yet though!!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:15 AM   #10
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Wow, a winterizing and route directions thread all in one We do love our camping don't we, especially in the fall. It is a beautiful time to camp indeed with the fall colors and the cooler weather up here...you really appreciate what a nice trailer you have when you come in from the cold into a warm RV make a snack and watch TV Anyway, we're heading southwest Oct. 5th for the traditional Thanksgiving last long weekend of camping...looking forward to family joining us for a feast, big fires, beach walks, competitive ladder ball games, apple picking and listening to Blue Jays playoff games on the radio hopefully Camping at the beautiful Sandbanks Provincial Park on the shores of Lake Ontario where the beaches and dunes are spectacular and world famous...I might of over-hyped that a little Goggle satellite Map it and you'll see what I'm going on about After that awesome weekend is over, yes it's the dreaded winterizing and the excitement of planning next seasons trips
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #11
LHaven

Don't know if you were planning on staying in the park AT the North Rim, but if not, there is a modest and very friendly Kaibab Paiute park at Pipe Spring in Fredonia that I really enjoy staying at. FHU, dark sky, great rates, and a fuel station at the entry with no state tax and free ice bag on fillup. Plus a short walking tour of Pipe Springs National Monument (within walking distance), which I expected to be boring, was actually quite entertaining and educational.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:02 PM   #12
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
Wow, a winterizing and route directions thread all in one We do love our camping don't we, especially in the fall. It is a beautiful time to camp indeed with the fall colors and the cooler weather up here...you really appreciate what a nice trailer you have when you come in from the cold into a warm RV make a snack and watch TV Anyway, we're heading southwest Oct. 5th for the traditional Thanksgiving last long weekend of camping...looking forward to family joining us for a feast, big fires, beach walks, competitive ladder ball games, apple picking and listening to Blue Jays playoff games on the radio hopefully Camping at the beautiful Sandbanks Provincial Park on the shores of Lake Ontario where the beaches and dunes are spectacular and world famous...I might of over-hyped that a little Goggle satellite Map it and you'll see what I'm going on about After that awesome weekend is over, yes it's the dreaded winterizing and the excitement of planning next seasons trips

Canonman made me do it. When I saw where Canonman lived I had to go off topic.

Howeverrrrrr, in my defense, I too am getting ready for the coming winter. We will be leaving the shores of Lake Erie and at trips end, will be on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico for 5 months of winterization proceedings.

Be well, safe travels, your friend and mine,

John
Old 09-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #13
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Don't know if you were planning on staying in the park AT the North Rim, but if not, there is a modest and very friendly Kaibab Paiute park at Pipe Spring in Fredonia that I really enjoy staying at. FHU, dark sky, great rates, and a fuel station at the entry with no state tax and free ice bag on fillup. Plus a short walking tour of Pipe Springs National Monument (within walking distance), which I expected to be boring, was actually quite entertaining and educational.
LHaven, for taking the time. We will be staying in the Fredonia area and doing road trips from there. I will certainly check the area you speak of. I do appreciate your information, Wait... what? Gasoline and no state tax.... count me in.

Be well, safe travels, your friend and mine.

John
Old 09-27-2023, 06:14 PM   #14
markdol1

im not happy

Sorry to hear you are at the end of your season, think about next years plans, sometimes you have to call way ahead to reserve if you do campgrounds. I take this time while its still mild to do upgrades and repairs. I plan 2 more weeks out to travel to amish country in lancaster county pa. and enjoy halloween festivities in the poconos,i have heard pennsyvania has the longest period for fall colors than any other state!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:59 PM   #15
vampress_me

Definitely not the only one. 2 weekends ago we blew out the water lines of the camper down at the campground, but didn’t bring it home yet. We didn’t add the pink stuff, but I know we will be doing that instead of camping more this fall, sadly. But, hubby goes in tomorrow for a shoulder replacement surgery. Then, fingers crossed his Parkinson’s allows it to heal so he can keep the shoulder and then we can go out camping again next summer.

On the flip side, we are getting a shop built this fall so we can store it on our property instead of at a storage facility. That will be nice for next spring since we can get it out to use whenever we want to.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:18 AM   #16
Don77

Hope all goes well with the Shoulder.
I know what it is like having TT close as I have a barn I keep mine in.
Good Luck!

Don
Old 09-28-2023, 05:27 AM   #17
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdol1 View Post
Sorry to hear you are at the end of your season, think about next years plans, sometimes you have to call way ahead to reserve if you do campgrounds. I take this time while its still mild to do upgrades and repairs. I plan 2 more weeks out to travel to amish country in lancaster county pa. and enjoy halloween festivities in the poconos,i have heard pennsyvania has the longest period for fall colors than any other state!

If this years Keystone State Autmn colors are anything like that of last year, you are in for a real treat.

Enjoy the Amish country, wonderful people. We lived in the Greenville area of Mercer County, PA. in the midst of a Mennonite Community.

Be well, safe travels, your friend and mine,

John
Old 09-28-2023, 08:27 AM   #18
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Defiantly not good becoming very experienced campers...the aches and pains and meds become part of the gear unfortunately The fall is a great time to camp and recall the camping season you just had and the one before that It makes you think about planning next season even if your mind is a better camper than your body Something to do/plan/look forward to, is the best medicine sometimes, especially camping
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 11:19 AM   #19
Canonman

I always feel better when I'm camping. Fresh air, new sights and smells, the excitement of exploring all help me forget about the minor aches and pains that no one told me came along with retirement. Already planning next years trips while I prep the Cougar for the winter. Just glad to know I'm not the only one in the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zion Cottonwoods 2018--7.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	621.9 KB
ID:	45280  
Old 09-29-2023, 10:20 AM   #20
ADQ K9

I winterized on the weekend of the 15th ( at least blew out the lines). I still have some odds and ends to take care of, when I do that I will add the pink stuff. Most private parks here close after Labor Day. The state and federal parks are usually open till snow flies but there are no services (Potable water trash etc.). It also gets harder to find a dump station that is still open as September comes to a close.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote