Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2023, 10:59 AM   #21
merchjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We feel your pain. Although we have two more short trips planned, many places up here in the Northeast close after Columbus Day and that is typically the end of our camping season.

A few years ago due to extended work travel and bad weather, we put our motorcycle to bed for the winter in early September. It was the longest most disgruntled winter in my memory
I am in the Northeast as well but I am lucky my main campground is open all year so I can go well into Nov before putting her up for a nap. I remember a few years ago camping thanksgiving weekend and is was below freezing, just ran off the watertank at night with no issue.
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 07:52 PM   #22
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I always feel better when I'm camping. Fresh air, new sights and smells, the excitement of exploring all help me forget about the minor aches and pains that no one told me came along with retirement. Already planning next years trips while I prep the Cougar for the winter. Just glad to know I'm not the only one in the boat.
I know the aches and pains associated with retirement. Everyday it seems I find muscles I forgot, or did not know I had, Oldtimers taking it's toll in the memory area too. Seems I can not remember what day of the week it is and I do not care.

I can not do it, I just can not put the RV away for the season.

On my way to Fredonia, Arizona and points south. Hit the road on Oct. 5th and presently laying over near WaKeeney, Kansas. Rockies here I come.

Wishing you and everyone well and may your holiday season be blessed.

Your friend and mine,

John
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 04:20 AM   #23
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Now I'm not happy...returned yesterday from our last camping trip of the season It was an interesting weekend weather wise with a mix of hot sun, heavy clouds, strong winds, the constant roar of Lake Ontario, a fire ban and light rain We had a great time making the most of like us campers do The drive home wasn't so great mind you...the gusty winds made the truck/trailer move around like never before...it quite tense at times...my sway bars and myself were getting a workout that day Anyway, we made it to storage where I'll soon be performing the sad task of winterizing including spraying the bottom with mouse proofing...I'll also be performing the sad task of trying to get up after that Then it's only monthly visits until the fun again long weekend in May
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:33 AM   #24
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
Now I'm not happy...returned yesterday from our last camping trip of the season It was an interesting weekend weather wise with a mix of hot sun, heavy clouds, strong winds, the constant roar of Lake Ontario, a fire ban and light rain We had a great time making the most of like us campers do
We were also on Lake Ontario (Southern Side) this past weekend. The trees helped with the wind, and the all-day rain on Sunday was a bummer, but thankfully there was not a fire ban in place.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:26 AM   #25
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

We were right beside Sandbanks Provincial Park which is south of Picton. Luckily it rained in the mornings so we managed to have a fire the first three nights...lucky again, the fire ban was announced on our last night. Yes the trees were roaring all weekend as well The many kite surfers sure didn't mind the strong winds and waves.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #26
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

9 days and 2100 miles later we made it to our destination near Fredonia Arizona. First and foremost I would like to thank Canonman and LHaven for their input and advice regarding the area we will be visiting.

Next, I am happy to report [knocking on wood] the Sailun Tires that came mounted on our 5er has held up thus far. I would also like to mention the tires have been on some very unfriendly interstate highways their first 2000 miles. I'm not one to run the posted speed limits of 75 and 80 MPH but I do vary speeds from 65 to 70 MPH. Anyone traveling west bound through Indiana, on I-70 knows the ride for the first 60+ miles, is at best, nasty. Throw salt on the injury I-70 through Colorado (except the mountain) is a joke at best.

I emailed the governors of both states advising the present location of I-70 would be a great place to build a road. Good grief.

Now for two heads up with the first advising rear kitchen owners to beware of the refrigerators installed at the rear of their RV trailers. Our Montana fridge took a beating with all the bouncing. I'm talking shelving damage and the organizers fastened to the front doors do come off dumping their contents.

Second and most fun, when we left the RV park east of Denver it was cloudy with the temperatures in the mid 40s. At Denver the sky was partly cloudy with temps in the 50s. The same could be said about the weather as we began our climb up the mountain. Howeverrrrrr, at the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnel the temp was 28F and it was "beginning to look a lot like Christmas." Thankfully the roads were being well maintained and we had only wet roads... and so much for my pretty rig.

So long story short, we would recommend the trip to Fredonia Arizona. US 89 south from Utah I-70 is a two lane well maintained highway. South of Fredonia I will find out on the 17th as we continue our journey south.

Be well and safe travels, your friend and mine.

John
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote