Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2023, 09:52 AM   #1
tacacia

2020 Alpine 3701 Ice maker issue

I have a 2020 Alpine 3701FL with a residential fridge which has an ice maker. There is a valve under the sink in the kitchen which supplies water to the refrigerator for the ice maker. The valve is in the open position but no water goes to the ice maker. Can anyone tell me if there is a valve behind the refrigerator that I also have to open before I go through the process of disconnecting the refrigerator and move it?
tacacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:58 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What brand of fridge and how do you know if there is no water getting to it....just no ice? Is the icemaker turned on at the fridge?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 11:36 AM   #3
tacacia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What brand of fridge and how do you know if there is no water getting to it....just no ice? Is the icemaker turned on at the fridge?
I believe it's a Samsung. It's turned on but doesn't make ice and doesn't put water in the tray.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:53 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Has it worked? And to verify, you have held down the buttons in the fridge to turn the icemaker on? The little indicators can be deceiving. I have the cutoff under the sink and it's possible there may have been a 2nd cutoff but I'm not recalling that at the moment.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is the diagram for the residential refrigerator plumbing system as depicted in the 2018 Owner's Manual. There has not, to my knowledge, been any significant changes in the plumbing design, but may be some changes in routing.

Note that there are two valves, one under the kitchen island and one in the slide behind the refrigerator. There are two valves so the owner can, if needed, drain the water from the line and then close off the refrigerator valve to prevent antifreeze from entering the ice maker, if the owner elects to use antifreeze in that line.

So, you may want to verify the valve behind the refrigerator is present (it should be) and that it is turned on to allow water to flow up, into the ice maker.

Please note, there is also a valve on the low point drain. If that valve is open you will have a "water leak under pressure."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RESIDENTIAL REFRIGERATOR WATER SYSTEM.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	45281  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 07:56 AM   #6
tacacia

I sincerely appreciate your reply and schematic. I was pretty sure there would be a shut off valve behind the refrigerator but wanted to ask before trying to pull the refrigerator out.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:19 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacacia View Post
I sincerely appreciate your reply and schematic. I was pretty sure there would be a shut off valve behind the refrigerator but wanted to ask before trying to pull the refrigerator out.
Rather than pull the refrigerator, I'd measure from the forward or aft wall of the slide to where the water line goes up through the floor (under the slide), then go inside, measure from that same wall to where, behind the refrigerator, you'd expect the water line to come up through the floor. Usually, it's at a corner of the refrigerator ro inside a cupboard, at the rear of that cupboard so it's accessible. Not "easily accessible" but "possible to get to without moving the refrigerator".....

Hopefully yours is "typical" and once you find it, you'll know where it is and how to get to it.... Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-05-2023, 11:57 AM   #8
tacacia

I assume you're saying to cut an access hole in the side wall of the inside of the cabinet next to the refrigerator rather than pull the fridge out from the slide?
Old 10-05-2023, 01:44 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I assume you're saying to cut an access hole in the side wall of the inside of the cabinet next to the refrigerator rather than pull the fridge out from the slide?
No, I'm saying to go under your trailer and measure where the PEX line goes up, into the trailer, then go inside and locate that approximate area and then "search that area" to see if you can find the valve. I ended with a recommendation that you'll probably find the valve either at a corner of the refrigerator, where you can reach it by stretching or contorting to get your hand on the valve. And then I commented that "sometimes, Keystone puts the valve in a cupboard, next to the refrigerator, way in the back corner, where you can't easily see it, but it's easily accessible, once you know where it is....

There's no need to go cutting holes in anything. There's a 99% chance that once you locate the valve, you can get to it... The "key to success" is not creating a path to get to an unseen valve" rather the key is "finding the valve and understanding how access was provided by Keystone".....

Finding the valve, by going from the "known underside location of the PEX" to the "probable location inside the slide" is sort of like "going from the known to the unknown"... It makes finding the "unknown" much easier.... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-05-2023, 02:15 PM   #10
dutchmensport

Just a note if you have a Samsung refrigerator. When the Ice button is pushed and Ice light is on, the ice maker is actually off and will not operate. When the Ice button is pushed and the Ice light is OFF, the ice maker is actually on and WILL operate.

In other words, On is off, and Off is on. When you see the light, it's actually off. When you don't see the light, it's actually on.

Push the button on the bottom of the ice maker itself and get it to cycle. You'll need to hold the button about 3 seconds. The ice tray will start to tip and after it tips to dump the ice it will fill with water. If after several tries (to flush the water line of all air, it still does not fill with water, then you still have a valve turned off.

There are 2 valves. One under the sink. You should also have a low point drain for that line directly under the kitchen sink. If you can find that (under the trailer), turn it on and make sure water is getting to that point.

As suggested above, follow the water line from under the trailer to the inside of the trailer. On the inside of the trailer, there should be another valve there.

Actually, the small hose water line connected to the refrigerator will be connected to the valve on the other end of that small tube-pipe-hose. Follow that pipe (maybe 3/8 ths inch in diameter, and it will lead you to the valve.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:25 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I highly doubt you need to cut a hole in anything. You didn't respond the my questions in post #4 so I assume you've got that covered.

Have you looked inside the cabinet on the left of the fridge in the bottom at the back wall - if memory is working I think that's where mine is?
Old 10-05-2023, 07:17 PM   #12
Old Mustanger

I'm not familiar with your floor plan, if your fridge is beside the stove the 2nd valve may be behind the lower panel under the oven as mine is.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 08:11 PM   #13
LHaven

I know nothing about this model 5W or fridge... but am I understanding that (unlike every other RV fridge I've ever played with) there is NO trivially-removable cooling air admittance grating in the outdoor sidewall at the base of the fridge station, behind which you would fully expect to find the shutoff valve?
Old 10-06-2023, 03:52 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I know nothing about this model 5W or fridge... but am I understanding that (unlike every other RV fridge I've ever played with) there is NO trivially-removable cooling air admittance grating in the outdoor sidewall at the base of the fridge station, behind which you would fully expect to find the shutoff valve?
Res fridge doesn't have them.
Old 10-06-2023, 06:19 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Res fridge doesn't have them.
To further clarify Danny's comment. There is NO SIDEWALL VENT behind a residential refrigerator or behind a 12 volt compressor driven refrigerator. The sidewall vent is only used in absorption refrigerators (usually propane and 120VAC) where heat venting for the absorption system requires venting. In RV residential and 12 volt compressor refrigerators, the venting is accomplished "into the coach interior space with NO OUTSIDE VENT required.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-06-2023, 09:25 AM   #16
Camping family

Quote:
I have a 2020 Alpine 3701FL with a residential fridge which has an ice maker. There is a valve under the sink in the kitchen which supplies water to the refrigerator for the ice maker. The valve is in the open position but no water goes to the ice maker. Can anyone tell me if there is a valve behind the refrigerator that I also have to open before I go through the process of disconnecting the refrigerator and move it?
Don’t. Know about yours. But my has a valve under the sink and also has a valve behind a cabinet drawer next to the refrigerator.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 09:30 AM   #17
Camping family

Just looked at your floor plane and it is about the same as my 2021 3761fl Montana. I see you have a cabinet next to the refrigerator. Remove the drawer and check behind it. Bet there is another valve like in mine. Why they have two who knows.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 06:32 PM   #18
KenSC

My shut off is located beneath the oven. You can remove the access panel beneath the oven.
KenSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine