Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
Chris P

Black tank

Is it ok when at a full hook up site to leave the black tank valve open or closed,grey tank open as well ?
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Don't leave them open. The black tank will accumulate solids that will become hard, if not impossible, to remove in time. You need to let the black tank fill along with the gray tanks. Dump the black tank and use the gray tanks to flush the "mess" out of your sewer line. Leaving them open is a HUGE way to cause yourself all kinds of "plumbing"/dumping issues.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Old Mustanger

X2 to Sourdough's post
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Chris P

Thanks I can never get it right, I figured you have the drain tube why fill the tanks. But that makes perfect sense. I should drain the tanks as needed when the indicator reads almost full?
Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You can look at the sensors...90% of them are inaccurate in my experience. Black tank; you can hear when it is getting full or you can use a light to look in it - your toilet dumps straight into it. Gray tank; it will fill and generally start to backup in the shower. When you use the trailer enough you will absolutely know how long you can go filling the tanks...and then you dump. For DW and myself; 3 full days; on the morning of day 4 we dump. Are we always maxed out? No. Will day 4 give us a surprise if we don't dump? Yes. And I will say that is not trying to be frugal with water.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Won’t climb on my soapbox about sensors. DO NOT leave any waste tank open, dump as needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Chris P

Thanks guys. Still kinda new with my camper .
Old 07-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Retired Copper

My tanks aren`t that big on the passport and the DW believe it or not uses the bath tub along with the grand daughter. I keep the black closed and the gray open until the day before departure so the gray: believe me, will have a pretty good amount of water in it. When unhooking I dump the black first and watch through the clear connectors at both ends. Then the gray: how can she use so much water, then use the black tank flush until all is running clear. Shut the valves and run a couple more gallons into the black tank, Unhook and go put treatment in the tank.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
Alpine

For those who leave their Gray Tanks open... don't forget to make a P-Trap in your outside drain hose before the opening in the ground. Have you ever walked around an RV Park and smelled that "horrible smell?" It is more than likely you are smelling the whole dang parks sewer, coming up from the parks sewer system, through someone's drain hose, through their gray tank, up the vent pipe and out for the enjoyment for everyone walking by or their closest neighbor!!!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 AM   #10
notanlines

It is simply customary to leave BOTH valves closed, empty the black, and follow it up with the grey. Just because someone does it a little different because "it works for them" doesn't make it right.
Danny, Mustanger, and Chuckster have explained the right way. People who are new at this need to be told the CORRECT way on the front end. That way they don't have to learn as many hard lessons along the way.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #11
Chris P

Thanks everyone My valves are closed! Glad I asked ! I don't need any issues with my new rig.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

I have a rear kitchen model and it has a separate gray tank. I leave it open specifically as the pull handle requires crawling under the slide; it is right behind the leaf spring and I have an extended handle already and can't use a longer one. I keep the other gray tank closed for the black tank's flush partner. Open black tank, wait a couple seconds then open the gray. Seems to work fine. When I full timed a few months ago I experimented with leaving the black tank open and started getting small flies up through the toilet. No bueno... stopped that fast.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #13
fjr vfr

Also when you drain your tanks be sure to not have both valves open at the same time. You don't want the black tank back flowing into the grey.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #14
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have a rear kitchen model and it has a separate gray tank. I leave it open specifically as the pull handle requires crawling under the slide; it is right behind the leaf spring and I have an extended handle already and can't use a longer one. I keep the other gray tank closed for the black tank's flush partner. Open black tank, wait a couple seconds then open the gray. Seems to work fine. When I full timed a few months ago I experimented with leaving the black tank open and started getting small flies up through the toilet. No bueno... stopped that fast.
Why would you open the gray with the black open? You might get some black tank crap into the gray tank..
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #15
travelin texans

Have you ever made paper mache items? Just imagine your making it with turds & paper instead of paper, glue & flour, that's what happens when you leave the black tank valve open & all the water drains leaving the turds & paper behind & a real sh###y job (pun intended) to clean out.
It's my habit of always creating a P trap in my sewer hose, whether leaving grey valve open or not, by putting a sag in it somewhere, as others mentioned to keep odors from the sewer system filling the air.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #16
larryflew

Yes to all that has been said. Our Alpine has a small second grey just for the kitchen. My wife is a cleaning nut so no dirty dish build-up in the sink at all which means that tank fills WAY to fast. I leave it open and make a trap in sewer line as was also suggested. HOWEVER if you do that lube cables regularly (good idea anyway) since it is always extended unless traveling.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #17
johnlewis

I keep the black tank closed, until I'm ready to dump. If you have a flush system for your black tank, use it, especially if you are going home and not planning on using the unit for a while. I like for the black tank to be at least 2/3 full when I dump - just my OCD, I guess. If the tank isn't that full, I will fill more with flush water (listening to the sounds, so I don't overfill). If I'm not going to use the RV for a while, I will close the valve after draining the tank, refill with flush water, and drain while flush water is running. It's amazing how much more brown water, etc. you get out with 2nd dump.
I also want the grey water tanks at least 1/3 full, so I get a good flush of the lines and hose after dumping black tank.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #18
Bnrc73

I'd like to share my horror tale. First time out with a travel trailer. Used tents before. Stayed for 6 days with the tank open. Day 5 my black tank was full and would not drain (poo pile). Luck would have it there was a big RV store 3 miles away. Went and bought a sewer wand and a clear elbow with a backlush valve on it. Took a while but finally got it to drain. Three years later I have yet to leave my valves open. Takes 10 minutes out of my day when the tanks need emptied. Small price to pay to avoid the dreaded poo pile.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #19
rjullrich

I do it a little different way. After about 4 days I drain the black tank. Then I use a hose down the toilet hooked to one of those spin washer attachments that attaches to the hose, and let it run for about 15 minutes full blast. When it gets finished the water going into the sewer is absolutely clear. I add my Happy Camper and then life is good 😊 I have found that my sensors stay clean, and actually do what they are supposed to do, and stay accurate. Just sayin'....(Everyone has their own system, which doesn't make it a "wrong" way to do something if it works consistently)
rjullrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #20
Pappydude

what is that on my windshield

For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would want to leave the cap off their black tank while traveling. Better yet, I'd REALLY hate to be following someone who had......that "crap" has to go somewhere and I'd hope it's not all over the windshield and/or the front of my rig.
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank