Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

We were in the UP for a week and spent 3 days at one campground then moved to another for 4 more days. Each of those campgrounds has about 50-75 sites, so a variety of trailers, tents and motorhomes. Of the trailers with FILON front caps, I'd say about half of what I saw had some degree of "oil-canning" at the top of the front cap. Keep in mind, this is northern Michigan, usually no hotter than about 85F and being "close to Lake Superior/Michigan" usually very humid. The brands ranged from Keystone to almost all of the competition, so there wasn't any "one brand is worse than the rest", at least in this very limited comparison.

It seems to me that there are three types of trailers, those that have FILON front caps, those with fiberglass front caps and those with aluminum/other type front caps (Airstream, etc). Typically, as the "front cap material improves", so does the price range... I won't go so far as to say, "You get what you pay for", I would suggest that as the price increases, so does the quality of the construction materials used.

That said, it's better to have a FILON capped trailer and go camping than it is to not be able to afford a trailer and sit home..... So, there is a "place in this world" for less expensive trailers that fit into the financial ability of growing families or those on a budget.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback