Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #21
tidwellfarms

Get the pathway X2

I got the pathway X2 mainly because it is a bigger dish. I also thought I would not need 2 receivers since my wife and I always watch tv together and rarely if ever in the bedroom. But, we do love to camp in the fall and watch college football. I quickly realized that having 2 receivers made my life a lot easier since I don't have to move the receiver from inside the camper to outside. Now I have one in the living room and one in ther basement for camp fire football watching. I'm glad I got the X2. For me, it was worth the extra $$ to get another receiver. To each his own.
tidwellfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #22
Bnrc73

Dear wired: you've got a lot of good information here. I'll throw in my own experience. When shopping for antennas I connected with pace. A preferred partner of Dish. (I have the Dish Hopper at home). Salesman explained to me that if I only wanted one TV that t he Tailgater was a better antenna than the Playmaker. He also told me to hook directly from the antenna to the Wally if the satellite hookups in my 5er didn't work. And it didn't. (Most won't, cheap wire and splitters used by the RV industry) simply bought a wall coax connector from Amazon and put it it in the side of the entertainment slide. Even though it was hard to drill that hole, I'm glad I did. Within minutes I was watching Dish with the same package I have at home. Including my local channels. And the $7 a month just takes a phone call to suspend the service for the time I put it away here in MN and start again when I get to Texas in December. Haven't got the hard drive yet, but plan to. I did buy a tripod and it works great. Haven't had to use more than my 35' coax to catch the satellites.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #23
cshrader

I too switched to Dish at home so I could have it in my camper. However, I was disappointed to learn that all of the self-pointing dome antennas only allow you to use single-tuner DVRs. That would not work for us so we bought a regular dish and a tripod and I point it myself. Takes a few minutes, but it allows us to take the Hopper 3 and wireless Joeys from home and use them in the camper just like we do at home. Works great!
Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #24
Local150

I don't understand it all. I bought the playmaker,and here in Illinois it works good,, but I go to Florida in winter in my 5er,, hope it works there. I have fish in my home with a hopper and a joey,, and a wally in my 5er. Obviously I can record ,pause etc. In my house. But can't in the rv. Can I take one of the receivers from home and put in the rv to enable recording, pausing etc,, or what options do I have. Don't understand it all
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
I don't understand it all. I bought the playmaker,and here in Illinois it works good,, but I go to Florida in winter in my 5er,, hope it works there. I have fish in my home with a hopper and a joey,, and a wally in my 5er. Obviously I can record ,pause etc. In my house. But can't in the rv. Can I take one of the receivers from home and put in the rv to enable recording, pausing etc,, or what options do I have. Don't understand it all

Since I have been a Dish customer for one day, I guess I am not really an expert hehehhe - The Wally is NOT a DVR; has no hard drive internally. If you want to record shows just your your in-home Hopper receiver which IS a DVR, suggest you purchase a USB 3.0 hard drive of the correct size and the USB cable just plugs into the Wally. Once you have it set up, you have to call dish and pay them a $40 one-time record fee and then you will be good to go. If these details are not correct, someone help as I am going to do this myself once I get some more money to burn on my RV entertainment urges.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #26
RoscoeV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
No, Your Hopper and Joeys will not work with the Playmaker. As stated above you can purchase an external USB hard drive and it must have an AC adapter (the USB port on the Wally can not power the hard drive) and you will be able to record what you watch and pause live TV. You will also be able to transfer recordings from your Hopper to the external hard drive, plug it in to the Wally and watch them in your RV
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #27
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by takpak View Post
We like our Dish very much. Have it both at home and for the RV. Have the 211K receiver, and the original tailgater "cube" unit.

One thing to note, that I found out after the fact, is that if you do NOT turn on your receiver for more than a couple of weeks, your receiver will go to "sleep" and when you try to turn it on again, it will give you the "programming not authorized" message. The first time I called Dish about it, they told me that the system has a fail safe for inactive units, that if it isn't turned on once in a while (they said it can vary from a couple of weeks to a month) then it goes "inactive" and you have to call Dish to have them "re-boot" it again. No cost to do that, it's just having to call and go through the process again. So, about once every two weeks, I go out and turn the receiver on. Don't even turn on the TV, unless I want to check it. The receiver will turn itself off automatically a few hours later if it sees no channel change or other activity from the remote, but the system shows it still being active, so it stays on line to the satellite.

That time must really vary. My wife had surgery on July 23 so our last day at the site was July 15 and we weren't back until August 23. Thankfully we didn't have to get it authorized as we don't have cell at our site.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #28
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeV View Post
No, Your Hopper and Joeys will not work with the Playmaker. As stated above you can purchase an external USB hard drive and it must have an AC adapter (the USB port on the Wally can not power the hard drive) and you will be able to record what you watch and pause live TV. You will also be able to transfer recordings from your Hopper to the external hard drive, plug it in to the Wally and watch them in your RV

I did not know you could pull recordings off your home Hopper to watch on the Wally. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #29
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
Dear wired: you've got a lot of good information here. I'll throw in my own experience. When shopping for antennas I connected with pace. A preferred partner of Dish. (I have the Dish Hopper at home). Salesman explained to me that if I only wanted one TV that t he Tailgater was a better antenna than the Playmaker. He also told me to hook directly from the antenna to the Wally if the satellite hookups in my 5er didn't work. And it didn't. (Most won't, cheap wire and splitters used by the RV industry) simply bought a wall coax connector from Amazon and put it it in the side of the entertainment slide. Even though it was hard to drill that hole, I'm glad I did. Within minutes I was watching Dish with the same package I have at home. Including my local channels. And the $7 a month just takes a phone call to suspend the service for the time I put it away here in MN and start again when I get to Texas in December. Haven't got the hard drive yet, but plan to. I did buy a tripod and it works great. Haven't had to use more than my 35' coax to catch the satellites.

Not sure the wire or connectors are the problem. The guy who connected our system to the neighbors dish tried the RV wiring first and ended up redoing a couple of the connectors. Poor job of installing them. Big surprise there. Worked great when he was done.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

Just to follow up, connected the Wally to the Playmaker dish and our TV in the camper in our home slot. Took about 15 minutes to acquire birds and then download the tv lineup. Watched TV several times. Went camping this morning at Utopia River Retreat and set up the dish, turned the Wally on and DOA. Won't power up and called dish customer service and will have another Wally shipped to my house by Monday.... kind of disappointing. There are 6 OTA channels here and two are HSN and QVC, one is ION with a couple of subchannels. We will be watching videos till the rains let up I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #31
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just to follow up, connected the Wally to the Playmaker dish and our TV in the camper in our home slot. Took about 15 minutes to acquire birds and then download the tv lineup. Watched TV several times. Went camping this morning at Utopia River Retreat and set up the dish, turned the Wally on and DOA. Won't power up and called dish customer service and will have another Wally shipped to my house by Monday.... kind of disappointing. There are 6 OTA channels here and two are HSN and QVC, one is ION with a couple of subchannels. We will be watching videos till the rains let up I guess.
That sucks! Hope you have better luck with the replacement.

One thing I really hate about the Wally is that you are forced to go through the entire scan cycle every time you power it up...seems like it would be so easy for them to add a button/option that allows you to skip all that if the dish hasn't moved since the last usage. I just bought a 150w inverter to try out out this weekend, hopefully it will work to keep the Wally powered up when we're not running the genny.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #32
Local150

My first wally didn't last long either, had to wait for new one. Dish rep said it would be there in 3 to 5 days. I said no,, it's your fault send in next day delivery. I said look am sure you people ship stuff next day all the time,, you want me to brag about your service ? Then next day it,,,,,,, and he did
Old 10-02-2018, 07:57 PM   #33
Local150

I have lost one of the little rubber feet off my playmaker,, does anybody know where I can get a replacement
Old 10-03-2018, 02:08 AM   #34
Mikendebbie

Feet

Lowe’s has a section in hardware with all kinds of peel and stick pads and feet. That’s where I would start.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #35
Garyd1612

I think the wally has only 1 tuner. If I am wrong please correct me, I'm looking at a Dish for my RV setup too.
Garyd1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #36
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyd1612 View Post
I think the wally has only 1 tuner. If I am wrong please correct me, I'm looking at a Dish for my RV setup too.
you are correct, only one tuner in the Wally.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #37
Garyd1612

I was also wondering if I could connect 2 Wally's to my 1 TV and be able to record a channel and watch a different channel at the same time?
Garyd1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #38
pitman44

Quote:
I was also wondering if I could connect 2 Wally's to my 1 TV and be able to record a channel and watch a different channel at the same time?

You'd need a dish with a dual LNB. Then an HDMI switch. That's what I use to flip between the DVD player, Roku and Wally.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #39
Bnrc73

Quote:
I believe that Dish sells a hard drive that fits the Wally to use as a dvr. I think it's a one time $30 charge. Not sure how to work it but am planning on getting one.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #40
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
I believe that Dish sells a hard drive that fits the Wally to use as a dvr. I think it's a one time $30 charge. Not sure how to work it but am planning on getting one.

I bought one, but next time I'll buy one elsewhere. Any external HD up to 2GB that has a power supply will work. You might be correct on the charge. I was thinking it was $40, but it is one time.

Tags
satellite