Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #22
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Well, based on post #17, it appears that the new SAE standards for towing aren't significantly more realistic than the older standards. To me, it seems that there are some parts of RV towing that are addressed, some that appear to be ignored.

Anyone who has towed a 9000 pound tractor on a 6000 pound trailer (15000 pounds) knows it doesn't handle like a 15000 pound 40' toy hauler.

So, it seems to me that we're really no better equipped to look at the "new standards" as quoted by the truck manufacturers and have any more reason to believe that their tow vehicles will perform any better with the new ratings than they did with the older ratings when it comes to towing a "big flat sided RV"
The Ford guide, so I'm presuming all do it, also discusses surface area of the face and has different levels for different trucks and packages. So I'd say the tow ratings now are much better than in the past.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow