Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 07:11 AM   #61
JimMach1

Dot

So they must be different from state to state I called the dot in Nebraska before we went to Colorado and they stated RV is exempt even in Iowa and Kansas. I do have what they call a chauffeur license gives me up to 26000 lbs. but my question to them was do I need anything other than an operator license. That answer was NO. Texas maybe different but all scales I’ve seen exempted Rv and campers I did tell them mine is a fifth wheel with a 12k gvw and a pickup at 9600. Take it for what it’s worth I would call the dot or state patrol and ask before going into that state.
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #62
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
In Texas the rv/auto dealers are not about to mention, even if they had a clue, a thing about a different drivers license, that may prevent them making a sale.
This discussion has been going on for years in Texas. Unfortunately you can ask 10 people, troopers, county clerks, DMV folks, about it & get 10 different opinions on what is required by law & 10 different interpretations of that law.
In 2016 my class C was up for renewal & went with full intentions of getting the class A, but after so much confusion from EVERYONE involved I just renewed my class C. At that time there was a list of exemptions for the class A, farmers, etc, etc, the last one on the list was "towing a rv for personal use", which is what EVERYONE kept referring to, whether it's still in the requirements, I don't know, but was in 2016.

Since we are in the mood to make fun of the poor RV dealer/salesman...

Why did God create the serpent before the RV salesman?
He needed the practice....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #63
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMach1 View Post
So they must be different from state to state I called the dot in Nebraska before we went to Colorado and they stated RV is exempt even in Iowa and Kansas. I do have what they call a chauffeur license gives me up to 26000 lbs. but my question to them was do I need anything other than an operator license. That answer was NO. Texas maybe different but all scales I’ve seen exempted Rv and campers I did tell them mine is a fifth wheel with a 12k gvw and a pickup at 9600. Take it for what it’s worth I would call the dot or state patrol and ask before going into that state.
In most places the DOT and the DL offices are two different entities… In Texas a private RV is not required to stop at the CMV scales... however, they are not exempt from being stopped and weighed by a weights and measurements DPS officer. Nor are RV'ers exempt from the driver's license laws and weight registration laws..

We in Texas have a real cluster... with both officials and the general public not knowing the laws and responsibilities.. and I'll bet many other states have similar issues..
Old 08-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #64
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn450 View Post
I was told they are doing the CDL test ride at the bigger city’s and the non CDL in the smaller outlining areas. I live in the DFW area and had to go 100 miles away in a smaller town to take my non CDL test to get it in in the 90 day period.
Saturn- Where did you go to get yours? I'm hoping it was Waxahachie?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #65
JimMach1

Texas is weird if you tow a vehicle over 10000 lbs you need a cdl according to my research guess they will miss out on my revenue from camping cause I’m not taking chances on ticket.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #66
Javi

Quote:
Texas is weird if you tow a vehicle over 10000 lbs you need a cdl according to my research guess they will miss out on my revenue from camping cause I’m not taking chances on ticket.
There's a little more to it than that...

You do not need a CDL but you might need an EXEMPT CLASS A license if the total GVWR of your truck and trailer is more than 26,000 lbs. and the GVWR of the trailer is more than 10,000 lbs. … That being said... if you are actually legal in your home state... then you're good in Texas as well..

Well... unless you move here... then you got to go by our laws..

But hey... the more of you we scare away the more spots available to us...
Old 08-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #67
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Saturn- Where did you go to get yours? I'm hoping it was Waxahachie?
You can always take it in Waco... it was easy..
Old 08-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #68
JimMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
There's a little more to it than that...

You do not need a CDL but you might need an EXEMPT CLASS A license if the total GVWR of your truck and trailer is more than 26,000 lbs. and the GVWR of the trailer is more than 10,000 lbs. … That being said... if you are actually legal in your home state... then you're good in Texas as well..

Well... unless you move here... then you got to go by our laws..

But hey... the more of you we scare away the more spots available to us...
I like it here too and if Nebraska would let people drink in the camp grounds the Iowa ones would be better too
Old 08-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #69
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Jim,

You missed the basic concept of reciprocity among the states. Your Iowa license is valid in Texas for everything it's valid for in Iowa. Texas licensing is only a requirement for Texas citizens. Don't however, drive the Iowa speed limit in Texas if the Texas limit is posted as less. That'll get you a ticket, for speeding, but not for towing over the Texas limit without a CDL.

As an example, I can drive my motorcycle in Texas with my Michigan license, but I have to comply with the Texas helmet rules as well as their stop signs and speed limits. You can do the same with your truck, trailer and your Iowa driver's license while travelling in Texas (helmet optional) .

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #70
JimMach1

I see thanks
Old 08-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #71
Old Mustanger

Quote:
You can always take it in Waco... it was easy..
Well maybe I could schedule it to stop in on our way down to Mother Neff SP
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 08-12-2018, 05:45 AM   #72
Javi

Quote:
Well maybe I could schedule it to stop in on our way down to Mother Neff SP
You may well be able to do that, I had mine at 8am on a Friday... and I had the trailer parked back at the storage facility and was sitting at my desk by 10am...
Old 08-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #73
Old Mustanger

Quote:
You may well be able to do that, I had mine at 8am on a Friday... and I had the trailer parked back at the storage facility and was sitting at my desk by 10am...
Did you drive to the test with the trailer or did you get someone that already had the Class A non-cdl to drive it there? I saw something on a previous post about having to do this but that was in another state I think.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 08-12-2018, 01:26 PM   #74
saturn450

Cdl

I drove down.
saturn450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #75
Javi

Quote:
Did you drive to the test with the trailer or did you get someone that already had the Class A non-cdl to drive it there? I saw something on a previous post about having to do this but that was in another state I think.
I drove to and from...