Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
sjturbo

Awning fabric replacement

I have read some of the posts regarding this so sorry if I bore anyone. I am frugal, (cheap) as well as somewhat lazy (not actually) so I am looking for some advice, (other than, "pay someone to do it"). I got the 22 page pdf from Dometic and was hoping not to have to read the whole thing, (lazy part). Looked for youtube video's but not sure which one directly or indirectly would apply. First, I have a Laredo with Dometic 20' 9100 series power awning. Left hand side, tension. Right motor, no tension? Do I actually need to remove both arm assemblies, or can I just remove the roller tube? How the H*** do I get a 20' roller tube and run the fabric cord into the awning rail on the trailer with out an army of helpers and 27 ladders to keep the tube level with the rail as I slide the cord into the rail so it does not tear the fabric? This may be simpler than I think but maybe not? Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Motor end-NO tension
Non motor end- TENSION.

Extend awning about 1 turn, and then pin the tension end. You will have to line up the holes and push a small pin (we use coter pins or nails).
There should be a small screw at the ends of the awning fabric on the rail to “pin”the awning, take them out and save them.

Using zip ties, strap the arms so they won’t extend any further. Unplug the motor, and then take the bolts out that hold the ends to the arms.

Lift the ends off and slide the entire roller with fabric off, after determining which end is “easier”. Factory probably spread one end of the rail, so that will tell you which way it went on, take off the same “side”.

Once the whole thing is on the ground, you can unroll the fabric. Pay attention to how it rolls up, Drill out the rivets holding the MOTOR cap on and mark the tube for the awning beads.

Slide the tube off, set the new fabric on top of the old fabric so it doesn’t get dirty. Slide the tube back onto the fabric, making sure it’s the “same way”. Put the motor back on, rivet in place. Roll the fabric unto the tube making sure it’s wound on the SAME WAY the old one was.

Thread back onto the rail on the coach, secure the ends on the arms. UN PIN the tension end, plug in the motor and cut the zip ties. Extend and retract the awning. You may have to adjust the fabric so both arms close and once that is done re “pin”the fabric at the rail.

Granted we do them all the time- 2 people, 45 minutes start to finish.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
mjeronimo

Awning fabric

eBay has some good prices around 120-150 dollars for a 20' my buddy got to put on the rv he was selling. Don't know how long it will last but it looked and felt as good as the one on my passport. There is a video on YouTube where the guy drilled a hole (3/8" I think) on front roller tube cap, that lines up with groove of cord. You slide old fabric to the front then slide new fabric to the rear.
That's what we did on my buddies rig. Don't get me wrong it still took time and effort, but we didn't have to remove the tube from the rig.
I'll try to find it.
Look up ( Rv awning replacement 2.0 an easier way to do this)
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The motor end of the fabric has extra “gimp” (bead) that’s meant to fold over in the tube and hold the fabric in the “center”of the tube. Drilling out the cap will prevent you from “setting” the fabric on the tube and may wander over time.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
sjturbo

Thanks for the quick reply's! I actually want to get OEM fabric since I don't intend to sell the 5'r for some time. chuckster57, thanks for the short and to the point instructions! I know the size of cotter pin but do you have any idea what size rivets it takes? I'd like to have everything I need on hand. Notquite sure what you mean by "Drilling out the cap will prevent you from “setting” the fabric on the tube and may wander over time"? Is a
20' roller tube with fabric very heavy? Thanks!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't know the rivet size off hand, but I can look and post.

If you extend the awning all the way out, there should be a tag with numbers on it. Those numbers will identify what fabric you have.

The roller tube has three slots in it. Two are used for threading the bead (gimp) through. There is a crimped slot on the inside of the tube corresponding to the slots. When you put the new fabric on you'll see what I mean. The gimp is folded into the tube and is caught in the crimp so it can't move "off center". Doesn't matter if the fabric is 10" or 25', if it isn't properly anchored it can shift and cause problems...I've seen it.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #7
MickLittle

The rivets should be 3/16"
MickLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
sjturbo

Thanks for the rivet size MickLittle! Got the numbers and will order fabric today. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #9
ptooti

Aleko Products

Not sure if they have what you need but I have ordered from here before
it was good quality and worked for my application

http://www.alekoawning.com/Retractab...ric-s/1844.htm
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
sjturbo

DONE! Big shout out and thanks to chuckster57 for all the help and support during my trial by fire replacing my 20' awning fabric. My son and wife helped with the physical aspect. Not easy but much easier than I dreamed, or should I say nightmare about. Next we will do my son's but I need to rest now! Thanks again!!!
Old 10-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Your welcome, glad you got it.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #12
rode2nowhere

I am getting ready to order my replacement fabric, I know this is an old post but its great, I am going to order shade pro brand off amazon, I am guessing the length is standard 8 foot length on how far it rolls out?
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rode2nowhere View Post
I am getting ready to order my replacement fabric, I know this is an old post but its great, I am going to order shade pro brand off amazon, I am guessing the length is standard 8 foot length on how far it rolls out?
I checked the Amazon website for "Shade Pro RV awning replacement fabric"

In the description toward the bottom of the page, the seller describes that specific awning as "8' extension" (meaning it rolls out 8 feet). https://www.amazon.com/Shade-Pro-Awn...s%2C162&sr=8-6

Keep in mind that most "replacement awning fabric is actually 10" shorter than the stated length" In other words, a 16' awning fabric is actually 15'2". That provides for 5 inches clearance on each end of the awning hardware. That, as far as I know, is pretty much an "industry standard". Some may be 4" and some may be 6" shorter on each end, but most replacement fabric is 10" total length shorter than the actual advertised length.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #14
rode2nowhere

thanks, I did catch the length difference, mine is 17 foot center of arms, so material will be 16 foot 2 inches or so,,,,,,,mine completely unraveled after using it over the weekend in rain,,,,8 years old it is done....
Old 04-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #15
travelin texans

Shade Pro has great customer service, so if in doubt call or email them with your brand of awning & measurements.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:14 AM   #16
rode2nowhere

new fabric here, wait for a rain free day to do this
Old 04-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #17
rode2nowhere

Ok I had to take the tension end loose because the cord on the end of the fabric was rolled inside the end cap, I did not realize spring would unwind, how many turns should I put one the spring? and I think I wind it in a clockwise direction ????
Old 04-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

How long is your awning? WE generally use one full turn per foot. depending on your method you want to rotate the tension end so that your ADDING tension as the awning extends.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #19
rode2nowhere

well I got in on, but tension seems off to me, if I let off the extend button it just keeps on going all the way out, it never did that previously, I am going to try and mess with tension tomorrow, any ideas?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

You may have a bad “motor brake”. You can try backing the tension off about 1/2.

Tags
awning