Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
B&T_NF-NY

PDI question

Hi, first of all thank you everyone for all of your help so far. My question is; we are scheduled to accept our summerland 2200 this weekend. I have the PDI list ready, but - not knowing much about the TT, do I have the dealer / tech do the walk through first so I become familiar with the unit THEN do the PDI? I don't want to take time away from the the demonstrators schedule by turning it into prolonged how does this work and let me check it out scenario. Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but I really want to start out on the right foot. Thanks so much for any advice.
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would ask your dealer. Where I work, I do the walk through with the customer if I did the pre delivery inspection. My previous employer used parts people.

Th last customer that showed up with a PDI checklist, I gave them the "full tour" and then allowed them to go through the checklist on their own. I went on to other work, and when he finished, I showed him how to hitch up/ set the WD and chuck for lights and brakes. After that he was on his way.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would inform them that you have your PDI list and that you want to go through it. They may want to do yours and nothing else or do theirs. I would prefer them to give me what they've done on their PDI...that they have already completed hopefully showing what they've found. Let them go through their presentation - remember, you may get someone really good, a sales person or a parts person. Some PDIs are nothing more than an informational, non technical, walk around the trailer. If you have someone that gives you a decent PDI check the things covered off your list so you don't have to revisit them, then, take your list to go over things not covered. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:43 AM   #4
B&T_NF-NY

Thanks, I tend to be on the skeptical side, all things being equal - it's my investment not theirs. I agree that I should inform them about my PDI and they show us their PDI results. My worry is that they might "gloss over" some issues, so I want to verify that everything (or at least the most important things) were in fact inspected (fit and finish notwithstanding) - trying not to be too much of a PITA. I understand all dealers are different but do they usually give you a completed (detailed) PDI checklist ? My biggie is the electrical / plumbing / sealing / waterproofing - things I would need to have them rectify onsite. . . you get the idea. Thanks again for your help.
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:23 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

None of the dealers I worked at gave a copy of the PDI to the customer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:06 AM   #6
canesfan

I have never received a copy of their PDI, if they even did one. I have my own list of things to go over on my own, then I go to them and say "fix it".
Old 04-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

On this last trailer I told them I was going to do a thorough PDI before I would take it. The service manager brought me their PDI where they went through it; a pink sheet with lots of little boxes and notes where they covered the various operations of the trailer; replaced shower handle, sticking this or that, realign this or that....about a dozen things and I may still have it. I will say that was a first.

They had done a pretty good job and we only found a couple of items we wanted fixed. The other things that have happened to the trailer would have been impossible to find on a PDI.

Make sure you know where things are; converter, controls for any electronics, batteries, hot water heater etc. Know how they work and make sure that they do; awning, fridge, stove, heater, AC, TV, DVD etc. Have them plug it in and demonstrate. Know where your hot water heater bypass is and how to winterize/de-winterize. If you are going to spend a lot of time dry camping get a 2nd battery.

On our last PDI my wife took notes and I ran a video camera for reference. Used it maybe once but I have it - that might have been overkill.

Just make sure you feel comfortable with the operation of the trailer and that everything works like it should.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I have shown our PDI checklist to customers that ask, but I haven't given a copy of it.

Some manufacturers actually have an extensive checklist as part of their warranty registration form. Includes tire pressures, lug torque, LP leakdown test, etc.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Some RV manufacturers (not Keystone) do have a customer orientation checklist that is done in 3 or 4 copies. One for the customer, one to send back to the manufacturer and others for "whoever"....

On more complex RV's (think motorhome) it's essential that the dealer and manufacturer have a record to prove they demonstrated how the safety features work and proper operation of the vehicle. Imagine someone buying a new 44' diesel pusher, driving it off the lot and hitting the storefront across the street, claiming, "I didn't know how to stop the darn thing"... The dealer needs some sort of "proof" that he at least showed the newbie the basics.... And yes, there's the "internet legend" about the couple who bought a new motorhome with all the bells and whistles, got out on the road, set the cruise control and got out of the driver's seat to go make popcorn..... We all know the results, whether it's true or not ???

If you think back to your last truck/car delivery, the salesman spent several minutes showing you how to tune the radio, pair your phone, adjust the heat/AC, etc. There's a reason for that.

So far, Keystone hasn't seen the need, but the above documentation has "bled over" from some RV's that need the documentation to "all RV's" at some dealerships. Others, not so much.....

As for a "personal PDI", I always do my own walkthrough along with the dealer's orientation, making notes of what I see that needs to be addressed. If, when that orientation is finished, I still have things I want to check out, I just tell the dealership person that "I ain't done yet" and finish my own checks. After all, it's my money, my RV (but not until I sign on the dotted line)... I've never had a dealership object to a reasonable offer, but I wouldn't push things as ridiculous as pulling wheels to breakdown tires to check the inside of them or even pulling hubs to check bearings. Those things are better left for "at home maintenance" unless there's some obvious problem that mandates such a careful inspection.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote