Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
RickBetterley

For the new trailer owner - what do I need to buy and which products are recommended?

I am sure this is answered in various threads, but I’ll ask it here.
We are picking up our new Cougar 26RBS and will be first time camping for 2 weeks beginning early June.
I need to start accumulating the essentials, such as sewer hose, drinking water hose, surge protector, etc.
Rather than rely on what the dealer has in stock, I’d like to buy the right stuff on my first try. I’m thinking about the infrastructure (essentials I need to operate, protect, or repair the trailer, not things like dishes or consumables).
Recognizing that there are probably going to be a wide range of suggestions, can you coach me on this?
Thanks in advance
RickBetterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
Canonman

Welcome! I'd recommend a trip to Walmart for most items. In addition to what you already have on your list, a fresh water fill hose w/shutoff. Attaches to your fresh water hose and makes it easier to fill the tank when you're not attached to city water. A large mat for outside the cougar, keeps the dirt outside. A handheld vac for the stuff that does get inside. A separate black water hose to use for the black tank rinse and clean up around the dump station. Don't forget a well equipped tool box. Also a battery jump starter (usually has a light and small air compressor). A cordless drill/screwdriver and Duct Tape.
Some other things to consider will depend on what type of camping you like to do i.e. full hook ups, dry camping or boon-docking. Also whether you travel with kids and pets.
There's LOT'S more as you will soon discover.
Happy trails in the new Cougar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1400.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	16484  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
Bisjoe

Some of the less obvious: Torque wrench that goes up to at least 120 ft/lbs for the wheels, and tire pressure gauge and compressor or pump. Set of 1/2" drive sockets with ratchet but also large handle. Coil of wire, zip-ties, bungie cords. Variety of screwdriver types and sizes. Adapters for 30 amp to 50 amp service, and from 30 amp to 20 amp service. Pressure regulator for when connecting to city water. We bought some rolls of rubbery shelving material that helps keep things from sliding around and cut it to size. It was easy liner, or magic liner, can't remember the name
but Home Depot has it..

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
66joej

As Canonman suggested get the 2 hoses for the fresh tank and black tank flush. Also buy a splitter that has individual shutoffs to attach both hoses to the water spigot at the campground. Makes it easier to flush the black tank without changing hoses. And an inline water filter for fresh water. The blue type is most common.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
slow

LevelMatePro and Anderson levelers right from the start unless you have a leveling system already installed on the TT.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
FlyingAroundRV

A good tire pressure monitoring system, preferrably one that also monitors tire temperatures.
A really useful thing is one of those laser temperature guns (don't know what the technical term is) that you can use to measure the temps of tires, wheels, brakes and bearings with when you stop.
Also a voltage surge protector (most people reccomend the Progressive industries ones) either a plug in one or hard-wired in.
If you'll be dry camping, you'll want a generator that has enough power to run the HVAC. Get one specifically for RVing, not an industrial type. RV ones are much quieter.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
notanlines

Rick, you rascal, you didn't tell us you live about 50 miles from some of the finest sxs riding in the country. A person can't even get a room in Black River Falls in the spring, summer!
First, buy a good quality sewer hose, maybe a Rhino brand or equal. Also as recommended, a surge protector. Buy a portable, maybe in the $100 range, and take it with you when you trade.....(and you will trade)
The rest of the recommendations are pretty much on the money. Mainly I want to recommend that you and Momma take it out for a long week-end BEFORE the two week trip and get the bugs out. Leave the urchins with the in-laws so you can devote your time to learning what you need to and fixing a few little things. Brenda and I are heading your way for two months (Chetek) so do what you can about the weather and mosquitos.....
On Edit: Well, here I am, all red-faced. You live in Maine, not Wisconsin. I should have checked first. Still I gave you good advice and it is a beautiful state!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
busterbrown

I second the Rhinoflex brand by Camco. Tested and proven. My suggestion is to definitely stick to the basics requirements for your first trip.

Things that come to mind:

1. Two 10' sections of Rhinoflex sewer hose and clear elbow adapter
2. 50' Fresh water hose.
3. Wheel chocks
4. Portable EMS (not just surge)
5. Dog bone adapter(s)
6. A couple of quality extension cords
7. Water pressure regulator
8. Fresh Water line filter
9. Tall step stool (or ladder if possible)
10. Scissor jack hex drive 3/4" socket (as well as a battery power drill) for stabilizer jacks
11. Blocks of wood for leveling
12. Polypropylene mat
13. Quality camp chairs (you'll be happier with them)
14. Portable DC air pump (I'd suggest a VIAIR)
15. TPMS for the coach tires (already suggested)
16. Digital air pressure gauge
17. Laser IR temp gun
18. Fuses
19. Road flares (you never know)
20. Axe (if you build campfires)
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Retired Copper

They got you started with a great list. You might look into getting some totes that will fit the storage door opening and organize items so you will know where they are for easy access. I just got a black tool bag for the tools, tie wraps, Teflon tape, spare hose gaskets and of course electrical and duct tape. I also carry a spray can of white grease and wd40.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #10
66joej

You will eventually get to the point I am at where you could actually rebuild an engine by the side of the road. I think I could if I had a cylinder deglazer.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 05-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
RickBetterley

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Rick, you rascal, you didn't tell us you live about 50 miles from some of the finest sxs riding in the country. A person can't even get a room in Black River Falls in the spring, summer!

First, buy a good quality sewer hose, maybe a Rhino brand or equal. Also as recommended, a surge protector. Buy a portable, maybe in the $100 range, and take it with you when you trade.....(and you will trade)

The rest of the recommendations are pretty much on the money. Mainly I want to recommend that you and Momma take it out for a long week-end BEFORE the two week trip and get the bugs out. Leave the urchins with the in-laws so you can devote your time to learning what you need to and fixing a few little things. Brenda and I are heading your way for two months (Chetek) so do what you can about the weather and mosquitos.....

On Edit: Well, here I am, all red-faced. You live in Maine, not Wisconsin. I should have checked first. Still I gave you good advice and it is a beautiful state!

You really had me there. SXS riding? Black River Falls? What am I missing? [emoji6]
Good advice here as well as other replies.
Stuck in an airport for now, but will look forward to learning from all.
Thanks!
RickBetterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #12
busterbrown

One more important safety item I just thought of. A 5-10 ton bottle jack in case of a tire change. And a lug wrench that fits your trailer's lugs. Never can be "too" prepared.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:10 AM   #13
Eric MP

Break@ short distance

1. Hey Rick.......Couldn't agree more to taking a weekend to break yourselves and the rig in. We were not planning one until a few here and on youtube recommended. We were fortunate to have a campground round trip distance of 16 miles. We had an issue with the language in the owner's manual regarding the water heater.....the STANDARD by pass value which prevented water from getting into the water heater was the issue. Thought we had burned out the electrical element (manual warning, not covered by warranty).......all was well. We also were familiar with LP gas only for a stove in our land base. We turned out to be paranoid about full unit service of LP gas (turning on; not fast; both, yes, 1 at a time)....which led to a cold first night. We had never had to turn on gas tanks before......could not remember what had been said at the walk through. Again, the owner's manual did not go far enough. We were checking both owners and appliance manuals to get the electrical and gas accessories going. Part of our concern was being ramped up with all the "smell gas" warnings in the trailer, the tanks and the manuals......all is well after the break in and one 400+ mile trip. All systems go......but we used city water over both weekends. We are not sure where we will be able to flush and sanitize the fresh water tank since. It may have trace amounts of anti-freeze in it. We live in a critical wetland area. Therefore, we have not tested the water pump. We flushed the rest of the system with city water on site during our first trip. I wish we could ramble in the TT like I can on this forum!! Eric
Eric MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #14
GHen

I also picked up a cheap fish scale, handle on one end and a big hook on the other. I use it to pick up my propane tanks to see how many pounds of propane I left before getting on the road again. Works well, don’t need to disconnect them, just unstrap the tanks so they move up a couple inches.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
Jno14

Some spare fuses never hurt anyone that is 30+ miles from the nearest auto parts store and you can't get something to work.
Jno14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #16
S&Dfz331

A GOOD surge protector
Old 05-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
RoscoeV

I suggest a good first aid kit, a rechargeable LED flashlight, and an outdoor 25 ft extension cord.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #18
66joej

Also not sure of the type of wheels you have. If they are the fancy aluminium type and you get one of the cross wheel wrenches get one that is the smooth type and not the rough cast model. Cheap ones don't fit in the openings to access the wheel nuts.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 05-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #19
Northofu1

We are in the same boat as Rick. We start our maiden voyage to the NY side of the Thousand islands tomorrow morning. The one thing I need help with is the surge protector. I just want a good one, but not spend a ton of money. We are planning on buying it stateside as our prices in the great white north are crazy. Tips please?
TIA

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
We are in the same boat as Rick. We start our maiden voyage to the NY side of the Thousand islands tomorrow morning. The one thing I need help with is the surge protector. I just want a good one, but not spend a ton of money. We are planning on buying it stateside as our prices in the great white north are crazy. Tips please?
TIA
Over the years I have found good and inexpensive do not necessarily go together. I bought a Progressive Industries 30 amp EMS unit hardwired. $330 CDN. on Amazon.ca. About the same when you convert to US dollars. JMO

2018 Cougar 27RESWE