Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
iwski

Sprinter....and the Keystone hierachy

New here and the forum looks very useful so thank you in advance. We are considering moving up to a fifth wheel from an Arctic Fox 990 truck camper. I like the Sprinter 293FWBHS because of the rear bunk and not only half bath, but a 2nd FULL bath. Most manufacturers are going away from this floor plan it seems.

I am curious if anyone can confirm or add more detail to the explanation I receive from a salesperson regarding Sprinter for quality and where it fits into the Keystone hierarchy of Cougar, Laredo, and Montana High Country. He said he got this information recently from the Sprinter rep. Supposedly Sprinter kept the same wide/tall dimensions and construction very similar to the Montana and just tried to dumb down the features and coverings to lighten it up weight-wise to bring it into the budget-friendly cost category. Of course does not provide all specs in any one brochure and all brochures between the brands offer different information so it is nearly impossible to compare the fine details.

The Sprinter does seem like it is built solid and insulated well and I like the wide body and six-foot height in the bedroom. Along with massive holding capacity on the 293 two-bath model for boondocking. Of course cabinets are lightened/cheaper by having vinyl-wrapped face frames, interior door frames are covered in cheap plastic that doesn't wrap onto the wall far enough to cover the over-sawn corners of the wall paneling, etc. but the looks and general feel of the fifth wheel is nice. Features like standard auto-level and prep for anything you want to add is a benefit as well. I just don't want the think to fall apart on the road and I wonder if there is much opinion on Sprinter versus the other Keystone products and similar-priced competitor fifth wheels.
iwski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The Sprinter is not a Montana or Montana HC in the fifth wheel category. It is pretty much a step above entry level. The frame and walls are probably going to be good but, as you have noticed, the "details" will be lacking. The appliances may be a downgrade as well. If it has all the bells and whistles you need go for it.

By the way..... Welcome to the Forum!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:45 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! If you can live with it, who cares? It is about you and your goals. Fit and finish are different things from underneath construction.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
iwski

Thanks for the replies. It is definitely the underneath construction that I would not like to compromise when choosing an RV.....I can see what I'm getting into with the fit and finish.
iwski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwski View Post
Thanks for the replies. It is definitely the underneath construction that I would not like to compromise when choosing an RV.....I can see what I'm getting into with the fit and finish.

The link below shows a conversation along this line in another thread. Read the post from JRTJH; it might shed a little light on your questions.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=27120
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #6
rhagfo

Well when we were looking for a used 5er we came across two a Keystone "Sprinter" Copper Canyon, and a Keystone Montana both with the Model 293 FWSLS. They both had the same floor plan, yes the Montana had better quality furnishings but the basic box was the same. We saved over $5,000 buying the Sprinter.
It didn't come with a Polar package, but I did find it interesting just this last month we were on the Oregon Coast and kept the 5er which is 32' long with a super slide and bed slide at 68 degrees in temps of 20 degrees outside using our newly installed Cheap Heat system which is electric and actually puts out less BTU's (17,060 btu) than the gas part of the furnace at 23,700 BUT output (30,000 btu input). I will be sealing and insulating the basement this spring as we get ready to go full time with this 5er.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, sprinter