Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
redmaxx

2014 Cougar 327res- adding second AC

I will be adding the second (bedroom) AC myself- being the fifth wheel is mid profile , is a low profile AC really needed? (little pricey on the low profile's)

Any brands to stay away from? (non ducted, 13.5k, standard unit)
redmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know where your 2nd AC will go in relation to your trailer but if it's at the front.....that's why we installed a low profile unit. It wasn't that much more expensive than a comparable 13.5k unit - if at all. Dometic Penguin II and we've been happy with it. And, to the forum!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
redmaxx

Thanks Sourdough- Glad to hear a positive for the Penguin II- ive been racking my brain trying to figure out which brand I should go with- Seems most will be a little noisy as it wont be ducted and pretty close to your head. Looking to add the second to get the temps down quicker in the summer days
redmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

We like the noise. When we travel you never know what's going to be going on outside and I'm a light sleeper...and it takes me a LONG time to get to sleep so noise is a good thing. Folks have different views on the various AC products but we've been using ours since 3/14 and we've been happy with Dometic (our 15k is a Dometic as well). We also like to sleep cold so the bedroom AC is great! Good luck on your search.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
wogg

I put in the Dometic Penguin II and we love it. I went with the low profile because I saw no reason to make the 5er any taller than necessary. The install was very easy. You will not be sorry you went with the Dometic Penguin II.
wogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar