Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #21
mikebrls

So the 3220 is out of the question now , I think I'm going to play it safe with the 2810 bh , it has everything we need , and I think it safe to say my truck will handle better with this TT,

Thank you
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

One of the "benefits" of modern technology that many "new, first time towers" fail to recognize is the modern vehicle's "anti-sway and staibility control" features. The new owner "remembers" he has these features and they are "supposed" to work to his benefit.... Then, when he gets on a "good grade climb with a sidewind" he suddenly realizes (or remembers) that the way these "technological marvels" work is by using the brakes and reducing engine power to "control adverse reactions"...

So, when he encounters a hard climb, is in 3rd gear and pushing hard at 45 MPH, encounters a sidewind that moves his RV over a tad bit, he suddenly finds that his engine has reduced power and his rear brakes are being applied alternately from side to side. His speed had dropped to 35MPH and he is in second gear at 5000 RPM and despirately trying to get out of the passing lane with two 18 wheelers "chugging up the mountain".... Not a pleasant situation.

Another scenario is on I-70 in central Kansas, headed to Denver, in 5th gear at 65 MPH, all is good, then suddenly encounter the infamous Kansas side-winds and find yourself halfway into the next lane, your vehicle slowing down with that "friendly 18 wheeler" trying to pass as you encroach into his lane. With the engine "spooling down" and the rear brakes "controlling sway" your challenge is to keep the vehicle on your side of the highway while trying to remember how to turn off that "darned" stability control system......

I've been there, got the Tee shirt, the hat and the poster.... It's no fun fighting either of these or numerous other situations that routinely occur when towing. Pairing a light tow vehicle with a "too heavy/too big" RV just sets one up to "enjoy the end of this trip" much more than the trip itself.

There's usually "more than enough" engine to pull it, but there's a significant difference in pulling it and "towing it".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #23
mikebrls

Thank you , So when towing is it wise just to shut off the traction control all the time or only when in the mountains or with high winds ?

thank you
mike
Old 09-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #24
x96mnn

Mike,

The only other comment I will make, after spending 200k in 8 years. Save yourself money and get what your going to be happy with. I should have bought my 5er at the start and saved up for the proper two truck.

I bought a jeep to haul with then a trailer that I thought matched, 27ft lol, then I needed a half ton, hauled great but then I upgraded to a 30ft and was ok but not great, then bought a dually and it was awesome and upgraded to the 5th wheel and it is still awesome.

What I am trying to say, you will end up with the 32 someday, just how much will you spend to get it there. You can always get it and park it somewhere seasonal
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #25
mikebrls

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
Mike,

The only other comment I will make, after spending 200k in 8 years. Save yourself money and get what your going to be happy with. I should have bought my 5er at the start and saved up for the proper two truck.

I bought a jeep to haul with then a trailer that I thought matched, 27ft lol, then I needed a half ton, hauled great but then I upgraded to a 30ft and was ok but not great, then bought a dually and it was awesome and upgraded to the 5th wheel and it is still awesome.

What I am trying to say, you will end up with the 32 someday, just how much will you spend to get it there. You can always get it and park it somewhere seasonal
Thank you , since we only have one child the 2810 with the wide bunks will do fine for a long time my child is 6 years old , the wife liked the 3220 with 4 bunks and a table but in reality we will never have that many people with us , I had a class A bunk for 9 months and it was always just the 3 of us , you no how it is " the wife always want bigger " for no reason other then she like's it , my Ram 1500 ecodeisel is only 4 months old so I will be keeping that for a long time , I think the 28 will fit our need's great for now and in 12 years when she's 18 and doesn't want to come with us anymore the rear living room model is very nice

Thank you
mike
Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #26
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
Thank you , since we only have one child the 2810 with the wide bunks will do fine for a long time my child is 6 years old , the wife liked the 3220 with 4 bunks and a table but in reality we will never have that many people with us , I had a class A bunk for 9 months and it was always just the 3 of us , you no how it is " the wife always want bigger " for no reason other then she like's it , my Ram 1500 ecodeisel is only 4 months old so I will be keeping that for a long time , I think the 28 will fit our need's great for now and in 12 years when she's 18 and doesn't want to come with us anymore the rear living room model is very nice

Thank you
mike
Just a thought, but something to consider. We used to want a bunkhouse (3 kids), really thought that was the way to go. We ended up with a rear living room model and now have a rear entertainment model. Have never owned a bunkhouse. We finally decided that we wanted the living space over the sleeping space. We went for comfort and usability for everyone. You can set a bed up pretty quick and for you with just one child, a scissor couch would be great. Our daughters sleep on the sofa air mattress, our son has a twin size air mattress that he puts on the floor. Takes about 5 mins for them to set up at night and also to tear down in the morning, that includes inflating and deflating.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #27
mikebrls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Just a thought, but something to consider. We used to want a bunkhouse (3 kids), really thought that was the way to go. We ended up with a rear living room model and now have a rear entertainment model. Have never owned a bunkhouse. We finally decided that we wanted the living space over the sleeping space. We went for comfort and usability for everyone. You can set a bed up pretty quick and for you with just one child, a scissor couch would be great. Our daughters sleep on the sofa air mattress, our son has a twin size air mattress that he puts on the floor. Takes about 5 mins for them to set up at night and also to tear down in the morning, that includes inflating and deflating.
we thought about getting the R L model now but with my daughter being 6 and I think with in the next year or 2 she will have a friend come camping , plus she will have a place of her own since she will be with us all the time . Little girls have a lot of stuff and she will be able to just keep them in her bunk room
Less mess for us to clean up every day and night ,
I will agree with things change quickly , last year I bought a $ 150 k rv and sold it in 9 months now I'm getting a $ 25 k trailer everyone say's I'm crazy but I have to do what works for me , Friends don't pay my bill's and if they did maybe I could have justified keeping the class A " probably not , I like to only depend on my own finances
Thank you for great incite
mike
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #28
EcoBullet

Red face

I'm pretty late here, but I agree that extra length can be a hazard when it's windy. We had a Bullet 286QBS (quad bunks - 32' 10") and all was well in calm conditions, but heavy crosswinds made for white-knuckle towing with my F-150.

I know what you mean about needs changing:

Our first trailer was a Springdale 252RDLS, a basic queen in front, bath in middle, kitchen/living/dining in rear. Just fine for the 2 of us, but when 2 grandkids moved in and we went camping, it was a PITA making the table and couch into beds, and there was no closet for the kid's clothes.

We bought the quad bunk Bullet and it made for much more comfort and less clutter since the kids have their own closet and beds.

We traded for the Premier 22RB after the kids moved out and we battled heavy crosswinds on a winter trip to Key Largo and back.

About a month after trading for the shorter trailer, the grandkids moved back in. We're thinking about another bunkhouse.
EcoBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #29
So Cal CPA

Ok so for what it's worth I tow my Cougar 28RBS (apprx overall length 32')all over Southern California and have been up to 6,000 feet in the Sierra Nevada mountains over the Grapevine a few times so far. I have air bags and husky WD bars. No sway control.

it has towed fine anywhere I want to go. The one and only time I felt any real sway was once going over the grapevine when we hit some wind. I don't recall it being that bad of an experience.

maybe I just haven't experienced any real wind yet....

TV is a 2014 Ram 1500 QCab with 6' bed, 3.92, hemi with HD tow package.

Just thought I'd share my experience as the OP is towing with a similar truck.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #30
mikebrls

Thank you, do you no what kind of hitch weight you have ?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #31
So Cal CPA

I think between 800 and 900 pounds. So between the trailer and the family, I don't carry much else in the truck.

Although by getting my butt to the gym and eating better I just increased my carrying capacity by 25 pounds!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #32
kellydog98

Please remember, towing isn't the only issue here. We've all seen the too small TV with the large rig. It's the STOPPING that you should be concerned about. The proper TV will allow you to not only pull, but to safely STOP. This is where you will want to be. Good Luck.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #33
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal CPA View Post
Ok so for what it's worth I tow my Cougar 28RBS (apprx overall length 32')all over Southern California and have been up to 6,000 feet in the Sierra Nevada mountains over the Grapevine a few times so far. I have air bags and husky WD bars. No sway control.

it has towed fine anywhere I want to go. The one and only time I felt any real sway was once going over the grapevine when we hit some wind. I don't recall it being that bad of an experience.

maybe I just haven't experienced any real wind yet....

TV is a 2014 Ram 1500 QCab with 6' bed, 3.92, hemi with HD tow package.

Just thought I'd share my experience as the OP is towing with a similar truck.
Those winds are a calm day in WY, NE, and KS....especially WY. 50 mph gusts are normal. 30-40 mph winds are a nice breeze. When we lived there I threw the kids kites away, it was never calm enough to fly them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydog98 View Post
Please remember, towing isn't the only issue here. We've all seen the too small TV with the large rig. It's the STOPPING that you should be concerned about. The proper TV will allow you to not only pull, but to safely STOP. This is where you will want to be. Good Luck.
Stopping??? You just use all 12 brakes, the 4 on the TV, 4 on the RV, and 4 on the vehicle in front of you

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote