Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
mikebrls

2.5 foot more ???

Will 2.5 foot more make that big of a difference when towing with a Ram 1500 149 wheel base ?
difference between 32.10 ft vs 35.5 ft 600 lb difference in weight

Thank you
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
x96mnn

Yes it will make it that much worse. But at 32 feet already just go big or stay home lol. I tested a sprinter that was 34feet and I was out of my league. I bought and towed a 30ft, 8000ish pound camper with a ram 1500' had e rated tires and air bags. Towed ok on a perfect day, any wind at all the wife took her own rig. Had a Reese dual cam sway system as well. We had a really bad sway experience one time that freaked her out and compounded the issue so you may be fine. When I drove I was fairly tired after about 3 hrs especially if there was any wind as you were making corrections every so often so we did a lot of short trips.

I am certain there will be a half dozen people who tow more with a 1500 and have no problems at all. Just my experience above.

On a side note, I towed my friends 30ft camper a half dozen times, it weight 1500 pds less and had a husky straight line hitch, never felt it sway once.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
bsmith0404

2.5' more sail that can be caught by the wind makes a huge difference. I've gone from 30 to 35 to 40 and have noticed a considerable difference with each one. Personally, I can't believe you are pulling 32 with a 1500. I've always felt when you start getting up over 26-28 it's time for a 2500. JMO.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
jtludwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
2.5' more sail that can be caught by the wind makes a huge difference. I've gone from 30 to 35 to 40 and have noticed a considerable difference with each one. Personally, I can't believe you are pulling 32 with a 1500. I've always felt when you start getting up over 26-28 it's time for a 2500. JMO.

What about the people pulling 30ft + passports with SUVs?
jtludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
mikebrls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I haven't bought anything yet , I am doing research , I am looking at the passport 2810bh ,2920bh and the 3220 bh , I think the 2810 will be fine for us but the Dear wife likes the 3220 , they all weigh under 6040 lbs unloaded with the 2810 being the lightest @ around 5200 then 2920 @ 5400 and the 3220 @ 6040 unloaded , dry hitch weight are between 565 and 625 lbs dry,
To me it seem's like the weight are very close it just the extra 2,5 foot .
I see so many people towing a lot more weight with the same truck or small suv, I just want it to drive good behind my truck with No white knuckles

also 32 foot would be including the trailer frame to the truck same with the 35 footer
mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
jtyphoid

My rule of thumb for comfortable towing is to subtract at least 20% off of the tow vehicle max towing rating and use that as my "max". My experience has been that manufacturer max ratings mean "barely acceptable". This has held true for me from a 3000 lb. pop-up to a 15,500 fifth wheel.

Yes, you'll see many people towing at or over the max tow rating, but they may not even realize that towing doesn't have to be white knuckle.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

We have a number of members who have made comments such as, "I tow for 3 hours and I'm beat" or "I won't tow if there's any side winds" or "It's so nice at the end of the day to get out of the driver's seat".....

I've found that the common thread in nearly every one of those comments is a "too small tow vehicle and a too big trailer"....

Some of those have upgraded tow vehicles and some have made comments about how much more enjoyable it is to tow with the new truck.

Common thread: I think so......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Phil76

I tow a passport 281bhs weights about 6000lbs loaded. My tv is a durango 5.7 ltr. We have a weight distribution/anti sway rated for 10,000lbs and have not had any white knuckle moments except for emergency manoeuvres on highways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
dm1401

In the last 3 years I have personally seen 6 crashes that involved too much trailer for the tow vehicle. For example Ford explorer with 22ft TT, a Chev 1/2 tonne with a 30 FT TT, etc. I am sure that people have successfully towed many miles without incident, but the bulk of accidents I have seen are on the Coquihalla and connector highways in BC Canada. You have higher speeds with some pretty good winds year round. I regularly get pushed around with my truck and TT especially with a empty bed. One of the accidents was fatal for the driver. Luckily the others ones I seen no one was hurt bad. Take it as you will, but if you are pulling a larger trailer with a lighter truck/SUV please be careful, and use and install every safety device you can (Weight distrubiting bars, anti-sway bars etc), the best thing I found for wind is slowing down, some times I'll slow down to say 80KMS/hr and turn on my four ways and hang out behind (Safe distance) from a transport truck if i can find one going that slow. In my opinion power won't be a issue but the trucks weight will be.
Good luck to you and keep safe.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Mikebrls,
I am not attempting to put down any trucks or trailers by saying this. Since you did not get any truck/trailer yet. I see 1/2 tons trucks and SUVs pulling some BIG RVs around here. I have spend to much time on the NW freeways and highways not to notice many things about the way people drive. I can normally drive up to and before passing the rigs guess by if they are gassers or diesels or smaller tow vehicles just by the way they travel. Spend some time on the road looking the combos over as you pass them. You may or may not see patterns as I do here.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
Again, this is just my opinion, but there is much more to the equation than weight. A 30' rv has a lot of surface area that is affected by wind and passing trucks. A short wheel base and light vehicle will have some forms of a tail wagging the dog effect much more noticeable than a larger heavier TV. I have been through it myself with out current 5er when I towed with a 2500 dmax. The 3500 dually handles it so much better. It's not the weight pulling back on the truck that made the difference, it's the side forces

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #12
BirchyBoy

I was looking at some Ford flyers on towing capacities and one of the parameters was the frontal area of the trailer. I don't recall seeing that before, but it seems like a good inclusion in the factors. Perhaps the towing capacity should be rated by weight, frontal area, side area and length.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:40 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
Keep in mind that "some" SUV's are really half ton (even a couple of 3/4 ton) truck chassis with a different body mounted to it. The Expedition and Suburban come to mind. I think (not sure) that the Yukon is also in that group).

There is a significant difference in a "truck based SUV" and a "Unibody" SUV (one that doesn't have an independent frame under it). So, there are some SUV's that are well suited to towing a "properly matched RV" and there are SUV's that are better suited to towing a pop-up camper.

It's the "people involved" that make the choices, not the SUV. Imagine someone going to their closet and putting on a pair of "flip-flops" and going for a "power walk".... Not a really good way to support the feet for such activity, but I see people doing it. I also see people "power walking" with well fitted athletic shoes, {IMHO a much better application), but "to each his own" I can pretty much tell you from my experiences in primary care, that the one with the good shoes won't be in my office at age 70 complaining of foot problems as frequently as the "flip-flop" wearer. I'd suppose that choosing a tow vehicle is somewhat the same, a choice that people make. Some make wise choices, some don't. Some will have future consequences, some won't. That's just the way things go, I suppose.

To address your comment, "What about people pulling 30'+ Passports with SUV's" Some are safely towing and some are "beyond reason" It depends on which SUV, a blanket answer can't address all the issues.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #14
jtludwig

I always love it when I see this picture online . It's such BS.

jtludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
08quadram

I would not go with the 3220bh. We bought a 2920bh new in 2013. The DW and kids wanted the 3220. It is just too long for a short box 1/2 ton truck IMHO. I had to just say NO, not unless we upgraded to a 3/4 ton truck. DW didn't think she liked the 3220 that much to buy a new truck (its her turn for the next new vehicle) . The 2920bh would be at the very upper limit to what I'm comfortable pulling. I have the Equal-i-zer WDH and love it. I have very little sway on the windy days. The Hemi pulls it fine, but If I lived where it was very hilly, I would have a Diesel. Our longest trips are never more than 3 hours, and that might be once a year at most. Normally, an hour or 2.

One of our first times out with the 2920, a chevy tahoe was pulling the 3220. There first time out period with that trailer. Asked him what he thought of pulling it with that Tahoe. He just said the dealer told him, "no problem". He only pulled it a few miles to the campground from his house. Would love to talk to him now after a year or so of pulling it.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #16
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Keep in mind that "some" SUV's are really half ton (even a couple of 3/4 ton) truck chassis with a different body mounted to it. The Expedition and Suburban come to mind. I think (not sure) that the Yukon is also in that group).

There is a significant difference in a "truck based SUV" and a "Unibody" SUV (one that doesn't have an independent frame under it). So, there are some SUV's that are well suited to towing a "properly matched RV" and there are SUV's that are better suited to towing a pop-up camper.

It's the "people involved" that make the choices, not the SUV. Imagine someone going to their closet and putting on a pair of "flip-flops" and going for a "power walk".... Not a really good way to support the feet for such activity, but I see people doing it. I also see people "power walking" with well fitted athletic shoes, {IMHO a much better application), but "to each his own" I can pretty much tell you from my experiences in primary care, that the one with the good shoes won't be in my office at age 70 complaining of foot problems as frequently as the "flip-flop" wearer. I'd suppose that choosing a tow vehicle is somewhat the same, a choice that people make. Some make wise choices, some don't. Some will have future consequences, some won't. That's just the way things go, I suppose.

To address your comment, "What about people pulling 30'+ Passports with SUV's" Some are safely towing and some are "beyond reason" It depends on which SUV, a blanket answer can't address all the issues.
That's true, big difference between 3/4 ton suburban and 1/2 suburban. Also big difference between a 1/2 suburban and a 1/2 ton tahoe. Huge difference between a suburban and a trailblazer!

I had a 1/2 ton suburban Z71, towed my utility trailer and ATVs without any problems. However, because of the weight of the suburban itself, the tow capacity (2004), was 5700 lbs (going off of memory, may not be 100% accurate). I don't think that is too much for a vehicle that large and heavy, but I also don't think you will find many RVs over 28' that when fully loaded with gear will be under that weight, especially when you start adding gear to the back of the TV.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #17
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08quadram View Post
He just said the dealer told him, "no problem".
I think that this is a big part of why I see so many obvious mismatched combos.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #18
Phil76

I agree that people need to do research and not just agree blindly with the dealer. I read a great article about the "new durango " and I hope my ability to post it is as good as my experience has been haha.

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/t...hadow-cruiser/

I would love to hear people's thoughts

Phil76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd suppose that choosing a tow vehicle is somewhat the same, a choice that people make. Some make wise choices, some don't. Some will have future consequences, some won't. .
Mike -
It appears that, in your case, the decision to tow "x" with your 1500 has already been made and you are trying to find something that will be a good and safe match for this truck.

Although the process is the reverse of what JRTJH refers to, the objective remains the same - to make a wise choice without having to worry about "future consequences". Sometimes, making a wise choice means that you have to put aside what your "wants and likes" are.

I hope you and your DW can do this and make a "wise choice". The 3220 may be what you want but is it a wise choice?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #20
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil76 View Post
I agree that people need to do research and not just agree blindly with the dealer. I read a great article about the "new durango " and I hope my ability to post it is as good as my experience has been haha.

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/t...hadow-cruiser/

I would love to hear people's thoughts

The final paragraph is what stands out to me and echos what many on this forum have said.

"Pairing a short-wheelbase SUV with a longer trailer takes getting used to due to potential stability issues. Even with the necessary equipment, you may not want to mate these two vehicles, although the Durango is more than up to the task power-wise, and Cruiser RV has done a good job keeping the well-appointed Shadow Cruiser lightweight."

Although they said their experience was a positive one and some of the systems such as the integrated sway control aided in that, they still say it may not be a good pair. Pretty much what most of the people here are saying as well.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE