Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Camping Grill Info

I had touched on this a couple of years ago in a different way.

When I asked for suggestions on a camp grill there were many suggestions but I think the favorite was probably the Weber. I bought the Coleman NexTrip LXE because I liked the double burners (for pot cooking outside), the integrated, folding stand and the fact it put out 20,000 btu vs the Weber 12,000.

It worked great but was a little too hot when grilling. I bought 2 induction cookers so I didn't need it for pot cooking any longer. Before we left FL I just put a sign on the dumpster that I was giving it, the case, the various grates etc. away. It was like new and it was gone first thing the next morning. Now, I'm "grillless" (funny looking word).

I am leaning toward the Weber 2200 but I have a few questions;

>I have also seen a Smoke Hollow smoker/grill that appears interesting. Has anyone ever used one and are they up to the Weber standard? Will they actually impart a smoky flavor?

>Neither apparently comes with a stand. Do they require one? I always insisted on a stand because, once in my past, I used a grill (none of the above) on a thick, plastic topped table and found that the heat split the plastic tabletop - not good. The pictures show them on picnic tables and whatnot. I would like to use one without the stand (I think the Weber one is an additional $80 or so) if possible.

>The Weber, with the domed lid, is much taller than the Coleman. Has that been problematic in any way? I carry mine in the bed of the truck so it shouldn't be an issue as long as I can get a cover/case for it.

>For anyone with the Weber and the stand; how well does the stand work? I was in CW looking at the stand (they had one folded up just sitting there) and the 2200. It appeared that the stand is kind of a universal thing and that the grill itself may be kind of loosey goosey when sitting on it. Any thoughts from those that have that setup?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm trying to get things lined up so we can hit the road a few times before we head out on a long trip again.

BTW; I looked at the Camp Chef, which also seemed popular, but, man, those things are big and pretty heavy!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
Pull Toy

We have a Weber 2000 for camping, and are very happy with it. We have a two burner Coleman stove that we also set up, and run both units off of 20#er. Works so well for us, we do most of our cooking outside, rather than smell yesterdays bacon, or sautéed onions throughout the rig. Weber makes great BBQs. Our unit at home is about 12 years old, and never had a problem. We have an aftermarket folding stand for the stove, and put the Weber on the picnic table. The Weber stand look a little flimsy to me, and only works with the grille. The folding table gives us more versatility.

If I remember correctly, the only difference between the 2000, and the 2200 is about $60.bucks. What do you get for $60?

1. Thermometer built into the lid.
2. Battery operated lighting spark instead of Pezio (snap button).

Other than that the two units are identical.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
We have a Weber 2000 for camping, and are very happy with it. We have a two burner Coleman stove that we also set up, and run both units off of 20#er. Works so well for us, we do most of our cooking outside, rather than smell yesterdays bacon, or sautéed onions throughout the rig. Weber makes great BBQs. Our unit at home is about 12 years old, and never had a problem. We have an aftermarket folding stand for the stove, and put the Weber on the picnic table. The Weber stand look a little flimsy to me, and only works with the grille. The folding table gives us more versatility.

If I remember correctly, the only difference between the 2000, and the 2200 is about $60.bucks. What do you get for $60?

Other than that the two units are identical.

Good Luck,

Steve,

Have you ever used the Weber on a plastic? picnic table? The place we stay in FL uses them at all the sites plus I take one along as well. I'm worried that they will be too hot on the bottom (for plastic) requiring the use of the stand.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
66joej

Steve
The new Q2000 has thermometer built into the lid. We are looking at getting one this fall when in the US for winter. Price in Canada is over the top.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
Javi

My daughter just gave us a Blackstone 17" flat-top... this will be my go to grill from now on..
Old 06-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Pull Toy

Hi Danny.
My preference is the sturdy picnic table, easier to level, and lots more stable with six grandkids helping to make breakfast. "Nonny" taught all of them to cook a G-O-O-D Campers Breakfast on our outdoor kitchen, starting around age six! (Now range in age from 20 to 4.5, three of each)

No problem with plastic tables that a piece of scrap plywood won't fix a lot cheaper than a Weber stand. I haven't encountered a plastic table yet. Next time I fire up the 2000, I'll check for bottom heat, and report back. Most campgrounds that We've encountered in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and New England are using galvanized metal frames, with 2x6 or 2x10 pressure treated wood for seats, and tops.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Steve, thanks for the input. You know, I can't believe I haven't thought of carrying a piece of plywood for a base under it. I carry all kinds of "boards" for various things but that did not cross my mind - and I'm a woodworking guy! That will solve the issue I believe - unless it is just terribly hot under it.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
Triple GGG

I have the Weber Q1200 and have used it on a plastic picnic table with no problems. Last year we did pizza's for the first time. I cannot believe I have been missing this all my life. LOL.

I do like the plywood idea though.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
travelin texans

I've owned my Weber for about 8 years & bought a 4' plastic folding table at Wal-Mart at the same time & have used the grill on that table every since, no melting, cracking or burn marks. I have a 20-25' LP hose plumbed to the 30# bottle on my 5er so can grill just far away as I choose.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
B-O-B'03

I have the 2200, removed the regulator and put a quick connect fitting it its place. I am thinking about putting a quick connect coupling on the regulator, so I can use 1 pound bottles if the need arises.

Our camper has an outdoor kitchen, with a 2 burner stove, that I used to use to cook bacon & eggs on, but I bought the optional griddle for the Weber and now cook the bacon, eggs and pancakes on that.

The camper had a single quick connect gas port on it and I added a second one so I could connect the Weber and the cook top at the same time.

I have 2 of the plastic folding tables I got from Amazon and use one of them for the Weber... no issues at all.

The Weber does a great job on everything I have ever cooked on it... steaks, burgers, chicken, sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc.

-Brian
Old 06-11-2018, 03:59 AM   #11
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
>I have also seen a Smoke Hollow smoker/grill that appears interesting. Has anyone ever used one and are they up to the Weber standard? Will they actually impart a smoky flavor?
I have a Smoke Hollow gas smoker for home use. It isn't the combo grill/smoker, but I can attest that yes, the food does actually get a smoky flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
My daughter just gave us a Blackstone 17" flat-top... this will be my go to grill from now on..
I too am looking into getting the exact same thing. Some friends of ours had one on our Memorial day trip and it looks like it would be a great addition to our set up.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

I can reflect on my experiences on 2 out of 3 grills you mentioned. I had the Coleman when we had a different trailer with no outside kitchen and liked it except for 2 things. 1 it was heavy and very large to store. 2 you could not close the lid while the fire was on. Cooked corn on the grill one time and melted the lid handle. Coleman replaced the handle for free but told me not to use the grill in a closed position.
Currently have/use the Smoke Hollow Vector series grill and absolutely love it. I like to smoke meat with wood smoke. The center burner is perfect for this. It keeps the grill at a good slow smoking temp and uses very little gas. Before I modified the bumper mount to hold the grill I used a small plastic table and never had any issues with heat affecting the table. Can't comment on the Weber as I haven't owned one but they are quite popular.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #13
Racebug

X2 on the blackstone! rarely get the regular grill out anymore!

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
leathermanls

We have a large grate the stands over the fire pit and swings out for access. It stands on a large stake.
leathermanls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #15
woodtick50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I have the 36 inch that I leave up at the lake lot and the 17 inch that I use at home. For everyday cooking I like them the best.

Just got a Traeger wood pellet grill this summer. I like it a lot more Than my charcoal smoker.
woodtick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
Kojak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post

Steve
The new Q2000 has thermometer built into the lid. We are looking at getting one this fall when in the US for winter. Price in Canada is over the top.
Steve I think you are mistaken. The Q2200 is the one with the built in thermometer and higher dome.
Kojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #17
rdemore

We use a Coleman stone and Coleman roadtrip grill. They both work great for us. I have both the griddle and pot attachment for the road trip. Cleaning has been an issue and I found disposable burner covers at Walmart to fit around the burner. Not perfect but has cut clean by a bunch
rdemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:26 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdemore View Post
We use a Coleman stone and Coleman roadtrip grill. They both work great for us. I have both the griddle and pot attachment for the road trip. Cleaning has been an issue and I found disposable burner covers at Walmart to fit around the burner. Not perfect but has cut clean by a bunch

Before I gave the Roadtrip away we always just took a length of tin foil, cut out around the burners, tucked it in around the edges and around the burners and replaced as necessary. The bottom of the stove looked brand new. I think we made a cutout for the grease drain too if I recall. We had no problems keeping the grills, griddles and coils clean.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #19
lmf580

We have a Weber Q2000 that fits on a aluminum after market stand. The stand was bought at LTD Commodities. It comes apart very easy (about 2 min), the top rolls up, and legs and top fit in a bag. I have a cover for ther Weber (Home depot), Cary it in the back of the truck.
lmf580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
ptooti

Omg I just got the Blackstone 4 days ago and cooked 1 breakfast and 4 Supper meals on it I love it !! We are eating way more veg stir fry’s beef and broccoli And it cooks so fast barely have time for a drink while preparing....pardon my chewing lol hubby takes pics anytime Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8092.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	774.0 KB
ID:	17171Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8093.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	17172Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8087.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	710.6 KB
ID:	17168Click image for larger version